Unlimited access >

The Great Saddle Pad Dilemma

So I have some questions about saddle pads. I recently bought two AP Tuff-Rider Pads one in white for showing, and another for schooling because they seemed reasonably priced. I really love them, but I’m just not sure if they are a little thin. My horse sweats a lot, especially in the heat of summer, and it seeps through to my saddle leaving a wet mark on the panels. I’m not really worried about the sweat flap getting sweat on it, but I hate to see it on the panels. Is this a big deal? Not sure if I should get a baby pad to go under them or if I should get thicker pads? Also thinking a half pad might do the trick? Would that be stupid though to get a half pad just to keep the sweat off of my saddle? My saddle fits my horse great, so there would be no other reason for one. What are your favorite reasonable priced half pads that would be thick enough to work? Thanks in advance for your help!

Try a Thinline half pad. While I am one of the few on COTH that actually doesn’t love Thinline for it’s therapeutic purposes, it would do well in this situation and wouldn’t change the fit of your saddle.

You can find used Thinlines on eBay relatively cheap. Thinline also does a lot of sales and such on the trial/slightly blemished half pads.

Sadly the Thinline is a little over my price range. What do you think of the Wilkers Hunter/Jumper half pad?

http://shop.wilkers.com/hunter-jumper-half-pad/

You can find Thinlines for sale used for the same price as that Wilker’s pad, FYI. Look on ebay, they are sold often.

Lettia does a CoolMax half pad that would be exactly what you’re looking for for $39.

[QUOTE=BarrelPony;8257499]
My horse sweats a lot, especially in the heat of summer, and it seeps through to my saddle leaving a wet mark on the panels. I’m not really worried about the sweat flap getting sweat on it, but I hate to see it on the panels. Is this a big deal?[/QUOTE]

Nope, not a big deal. Just wipe it off after every ride and clean it regularly.

Thanks for your help everyone! Still doing research on it, your insight helped a lot.

I have the Lettia coolmax pad and it gets pretty wet when I ride. It does dry out more quickly than a regular pad, but I’m not sure that it would solve your problem. One inexpensive option would be to use a non-slip pad like this:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/nunn-finer-contour-ultra-pad/p/X1-19749/

For your purposes, you might want to put it between the square pad and the saddle instead of putting it directly against the horse. I think it would help in either way.