Unlimited access >

The horseman's life journey

I was just out riding with a couple other gals yesterday. They were on “gotta gallop up this hill!” horses and I was on my trusty mare who doesn’t feel the need to gallop anywhere unless I tell her to. (turn out, mostly). And they were bemoaning their horses’ excitability while praising my mare. (This is a mare I lease. I did not make this mare.)

It got me thinking a little bit about my journey with horses, which started out some 65 years ago with pony rides, ran thru years of lessons, 4 changes of disciplines, competitions, a period of riding any rebel anybody else owned just to get saddle time, weekend barn manager in LA for a celebrity, organizing a Pony Club for my own kids, and apparently has looped back again finally, 65 years later, to pony rides again. :rofl: :rofl:

The lady who leases this horse to me has occasionally mentioned doing some arena work to touch up the mare (since she also uses the mare for lessons and would like her sharper). I’m perfectly capable of doing such a thing still, but find I don’t want to. My days of fussing about a proper turn on the forehand are over. I am uninterested in developing a better canter depart. I found out yesterday that I’ve forgotten, even, the training strategies for handling “gotta gallop up this hill!” horses (which is probably to the good. Nobody likes unsolicited advice.)

I was thinking of finding other lessons, since I realized I’m riding crooked to the right again, and need someone to yell at me since I’m only occasionally aware. My riding teacher from last year lost barn privileges and has moved on. Not sure I can summon the energy for “work”, tho.

Where are you in your horseman’s journey, and are you satisfied? I go out into the woods, under the trees, and lollygag along looking for baby turkeys. It suits me, though I never imagined I’d enjoy this so much!

18 Likes

You know what, if you are doing what you want and loving it, why change? Yes, you can take lessons to “fix” some riding form flaws, but if you are not bothering the horse, does it really matter? Sounds like a safe, sane horse who probably enjoys the leisurely rides as much as you do! Just carry on, I think.

I’ve been riding for over 45 years. I have four horses still at home, one retired. I have switched disciplines as well, and I once in a while am starting to get the little voice in the very back of my head saying, do you really want to do all this work to maintain all these horses?

8 Likes

What a post. Have you kept journals by chance? Your post intrigues me in so many ways including I thought JUST the other day that if I become old and finally chucked off to some facility at the end that the absolute most precious items I will have will be my horsekeeping journals kept since the mid 90s and still going strong. I will start them and go cover to cover and then start again and relive it all. :slight_smile:

Yes, what a gift the passion of horses are and how about the changes in what matters? We had horses at home and competed growing up and then later again and for a while that mattered. What matters now is my horse happy to be with me? And can I get them to keep expanding their mind and body positively and want to go adventure? Sure I’d love to compete again but know it’s really about people oogling over my gorgeous horse and how good I look as a rider. All ego. :rofl:

I’ve been down so many incredibly wonderful rabbit holes since seeing Frederic Pignon and Magali Delgado in Cavalia some 20 yrs ago and then reading their book realizing there could be no more room for force or anger with my horse. And it wasn’t easy and still creeps up. I now recognize when I’m feeling irritated because they won’t do what I want right then and now see how that’s like a dictator and who wants to be around that? And then see how that plays out in life in general. That things aren’t working out your way, someone is irritating you, etc and learning to let that shit go.

I found Warwick Schiller too and wow those podcasts. Mustang Maddy and getting a deeper understanding of motivating any living being to come your way. The Dorrance brothers, Ray Hunt. Klaus Balkenhol and so many others committed to the wellbeing of horses.

I’m just so glad to have found that sort of love for horses and knowing my horses feel that from me.
And that’s how I now define success. That’s a worthwhile journey.

13 Likes

How about a PT who specialized in riders? I did a remote consult with Stephanie Seheult
https://www.lacadianeequine.com/clinics and she’s legit.

She gave me a few exercises and it really made a difference.

https://courses.ameliasdressageacademy.com/courses/fitnessworkshop/lectures/48412727

3 Likes

How prescient of you. That would indeed be a treasure trove. I only kept journals when rehabbing a horse, and discarded them immediately when the horse came sound again. Didn’t want/need the reminder. There’s something to regret!!

Good for you! Maybe when I get really demented, you can send me a copy of your journals and I’ll think they’re mine!

6 Likes

You are so funny. You’d be reading and possibly thinking, “I do not remember that horse at all. I’m really losing it!” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

Teeheee… :laughing:

1 Like

I am pretty much where you are. I just want to ride at the pace I choose and as long as my horses take me there willingly, I really don’t care if they have a show worthy canter. I just want to have us both enjoy what we are doing together–which is not very difficult anymore.

6 Likes

This is a hard one.

I used to teach and train green beans for sale. Then I got badly injured and had some PTSD that has mostly resolved. I say mostly only because it still comes back at odd and annoying times.

When I started my journey I was a kid, riding bareback sans lessons, jumping everything that didn’t move. Then I got lessons and a formal education. Showed in two different countries - relatively successfully (I didn’t come from wealth…so, there are limits).

I still take lessons. I no longer teach. I don’t jump anymore, but the occasional tiny little cross rail. I still kinda sorta do green beans, but not for resale anymore. And I take a LOT longer to work them than I used to. I did change disciplines.

I’m moderately annoyed at my body and my PTSD. It feels unfair that I now have this wealth of knowledge that I have gathered through the years and my body isn’t coming through for me. On good days I remember that is part of aging normally and I should be ok with it. On bad days I am grumpy and want to kick things.

I’m close to accepting that I won’t ever be what I was, but I refuse to hang up my spurs yet. I still have a competitive streak, and I do really enjoy the training process still. I love being able to teach my horses new things, and I love seeing them change.

So - am I satisfied? I don’t know. No? Sorta? Kinda? I’m still wrestling with all of it!

13 Likes

I have just recently begun to accept that I will probably never again be riding my horse of a lifetime much beyond a walk/trot - and that only if I am supremely fortunate. I am trying to be okay with that, but it makes me very sad to think about.

We did the show thing in three disciplines. We did the travel adventure trails. We did the lessons and clinics, the injury rehabs, the saddle hunts, the wandering home trails. In another month or so I will have had him half my life.

I do have a horse to ride. He belongs to a friend, is quite green, and I am enjoying training him. We do have competition goals, but I am not like my other friend who plans a competition schedule and sets yearly goals of earning awards and top finishes. And I am okay with that.

I’m looking forward to back of the pack finishes as I use the early competitions to teach the horse his job and expectations for behaviour. We might manage two competitions this year, and I’m totally fine with that.

I also have a baby horse to start under saddle. Two or three 20-30 minute sessions a week? Great! I love teaching the young horses new skills, and giving them the basics to be solid citizens. Hopefully we can find him his person this year.

I am looking for better transitions, straighter horses, lighter responses, because that’s what I want to ride. At the moment I still want a horse to improve, not just ride around. My horse of a lifetime was that, with the occasional reminder. I really hope I have a few more of those rides with him to come.

5 Likes

This spoke to me, that is exactly my situation. It is enormously frustrating that sometimes my brain knows exactly how to respond but my body refuses to obey. The other scenario is that my body DOES obey, but can only keep it up for a short period of time.

To the OP: I no longer really enjoy ringwork. I have one lovely older horse who is ring sour, so we are a perfect match, and a lovely young horse that does her job very well but could stand a better flat work education. That I have zero interest in putting on her. I have considered sending her for training in July or August to someone who will get her softer in the bridle and better educated on the flat. Or, since I don’t have training board kind of money, let her continue to do her job cheerfully and well and ignore that she doesn’t have all the buttons on the flat that I would have once insisted on.

7 Likes

I grew up on horseback, have done several disciplines at lower levels - H/J, eventing, pleasure and combined driving, schooled dressage, and always trail riding. Now I have 2 horses, a 17 (!! - how did that happen) yr old OTTB that could be a decent show horse and a 15 yr old TWH that I trail ride. I occasionally do some ring work with the TB because she needs the schooling, especially after her winter vacations (which, for this year, will end next week - shoes on Monday). The TWH is a little quirky on the ground, but is so easy under saddle. After 6 months off I just tacked up and went for a little ride - no issues, no drama.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this last year and we agreed, neither one of us has the interest in going in circles and doing the schooling for competition anymore, especially when the budget is tight. We would much rather get out in the woods and enjoy a nice trail.

4 Likes

I just had a similar conversation last week with the 20-year-old gal who keeps her mare at our barn. I expressed some dissatisfaction with my current horses, and she asked me, “what is it that you want?” I honestly wasn’t exactly sure how to answer that.

My journey with horses started as a teenager riding a family friend’s trail horses. It was fun. After high school I bought my own horse – just fooled around, never competed. It was fun. I feel like I peaked in my late 20s when I was working at a show horse barn in Kentucky and was able to show two horses of my own. It was a lot of fun. Everything started to decline after I moved back to the Midwest in my 30s. Those old horses are gone, then I ended up with a couple that I just did not click with, and the ones I have now didn’t mature as anticipated and I can’t help but feel some level of disappointment in them. The rare times I do go to a show here I am completely by myself, and I’ve found that it’s just not as much fun that way. I’m at a nice private facility now - indoor (heated) and outdoor arenas, access to trails next door. I should be having the time of my life, but I feel like a lot of the passion I used to have for it is gone. I lack the ambition to work them most days. I’m frustrated with this middle aged body, and I’ve lost the self confidence I used to have. I feel like I’m floundering. But I keep slogging on hoping that some of that old spark will return. I do enjoy walkabouts on the trails, but I also still feel like I want to do more.

So yeah – satisfied? Meh. Some days yes, kinda. Other days not so much.

4 Likes

How timely! I was just fantasizing about going to Grandpa Jeff’s Trail Rides here locally to pay $ to saunter thru the woods! Got quite a handsome athletic beast in my own backyard but have no interest in getting up on that thing!

3 Likes

My earliest memory is running out of the house to watch horses going past and I started riding when I was three or four. That is six decades ago.

I have no competitive urges but I do still love working with a horse and knowing it has improved during our session: softer, more supple, stepping out, happy. Those few moments when everything clicks and the two of us can dance together in total harmony: oh my, that high still lasts for days. I don’t ride well enough for it to happen every time but I know enough to work towards it.

My favorite thing is a week somewhere interesting, somewhere around the world, spending the days on a good travelling horse and staring at the views before arriving for the night at a comfortable hotel with excellent food. On the other hand, it is also really good fun to own a tiny slither of a horse and support an up and coming young rider who has realistic dreams of Badminton and the national team. But that tends to be more social in its focus.

6 Likes

Yes, I do.
& Hope I can continue to do so as my 70s recede into the rearview.
I came late to ownership (@ 39), late to having them at home (54), but the Passion has always been there.
I cannot remember not wanting a horse.
Rode schoolies starting at 8.
Bargained Sunday School attendance, then babysitting money for a weekly lesson.
Even with a near-20yr hiatus from 15 (when Boys! replaced horses) to 33, the love & desire never left me.
Showing no longer is the Reason.
I did my time in the Hunter ring, discovered Dressage with the help of the Best.Pro.Ever! - German-educated with a complete lack of ego & love of teaching.
Evented a bit & took up Driving at 66 :sunglasses:
TG my horses are pretty much where I left them on the increasingly rare occasions I ask them to work.
My only goal now is to relocate somewhere with kinder Winters than the Midwest :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ETA:
I do have some sorta journals.
Kept by a Jr who shareboarded my TB in the mid-90s.
I can’t recall now if I made entries as well.
I have to go down to the basement where my old tack trunk (Dover kit, assembled by me & DH) has the notebooks along with other horsey miscellania, unused for decades…
Sets of polowraps, anyone?

3 Likes

I love everything about this post, and my horsemanship journey has truly meandered as well. I find myself enjoying losing myself in the mountains just as much as I do in the arena or the competition ring, and that’s something my teenage/young adult self would have never imagined. But at 21 I also didn’t believe burnout was a thing that could ever happen to me, both in graduate school/academia or in the horses.

@PaddockWood any tips on how to start a horse keeping journal??? I have always wanted to start one, but my failed attempts at journaling emotional things have also crossed over into never following through on horse journaling either. I seem to recall a time when I kept a horse journal of things learned in lessons and that really helped but that fell along the wayside somehow…

Start with just writing what you did. Mine currently read “Road HW 36min, 4 Treks. Bit pokey today going out. Had trouble keeping up in T. Black spot on animalintex 1/4”."

It becomes easy to add the unusual things to that. You could also get some cute stickers and put one in randomly, just because you like it.

One of mine is a planner/diary with a week per double page spread. Many entries are “Didn’t go.” :wink:

2 Likes

Awwww - thank you for you post. Your questions are good cuz yes, having the right journal matters - speaking from experience. Here’s the sacred collection and you can see several types. The types with wires can have wires bend and become a problem and you don’t want anything with pages that are flimsy and tear out.

And you want a journal that sits open easily. Lines matter. And each entry gets a full date - i.e. SAT APR 20 2024 and from there just a goal to write a few lines every couple days. Sometimes I’ll write half a page.

My favorite is a Punch Studio with a bungee wrap. They don’t make the horse one anymore but you can occasionally find other pretty ones on ebay.

Here’s one. And the pricing is the same or less than what you’d spend at the Punch website.

They’re on Amazon too. This is softcover so not sure if it sits open as well as the hardcover.

As the years wind on you’ll find yourself going back to remember vet issues/lameness/behavior, how far your horse or you have come in education. If you attend a clinic or presentation you record your notes right there. Keep your journal somewhere handy Mine sits on my desk.

3 Likes

My riding life started trail riding in the foothills of the Andes mountains east of Santiago Chile. I was 6, I had 2? “lessons” with two grooms who spoke no English and I had just a tiny, tiny bit of Spanish. I was “taught” basic halting (badly), turning (crudely) and cantering desperately holding onto the pommel like I was instructed to. Contact? Never mentioned. Finesse with my aids? Never mentioned. Riding the horse (or pony) humanely? Never mentioned.

After that we followed one of the grooms through some challenging country, up and down steep hills. We were taught to lean back going down those hills.

Then came the rather boring riding on the beaches east of Montevideo, Uruguay. My parents ended up getting bored, and that was the end of me riding for years,

Then I had 2 lessons after begging for years. As far as my mother was concerned, my two lessons when I was 6 were good enough that I should never ever think that I needed more lessons. Well I joined a rather large group lesson (over 6 beginners IIRC), then my mother got super, super irate because all of us beginners did not IMMEDIATELY have our heels down, way down, down enough to injure our unstretched tendons. My lessons ended.

Then ONE trail ride out West in Wyoming at the Grand Teton National Park, western saddle, follow the leader, walking with a little bit of trotting.

Then several years later my father finally realized that if he wanted me to come back to the fold after joining the underground newspaper in college and becoming radicalized he better get me a horse.

So with my limited experience I ended up with a 5 year old green broke (3 weeks of so so training) Anglo-Arab gelding.

After reading all the books on riding in my Junior and Senior High School I realized I knew NOTHING about horses and riding. At that time my mother thought learning to ride was going to be a breeze–enter a riding school with my pitiful level of experience when every other student had managed to have semi regular to regular lessons, often for years.

Yeah, right.

I escaped from my parents, sort of picked up my future husband on a Trailways bus (still together after 54 years later) got my horse, boarded at a stable with rough and ready hunt seat lessons, and I tried to learn to ride well in the Forward Seat on my own, hah!

My wonderful horse forgave me.

Various hunt seat boarding/lesson stables, still trying to learn the Forward Seat when the ruling expert at that time was George Morris. I did not fit in. Got back to trail riding, got into riding in gloriously huge pastures (30+ acres?) in a barn whose owner/riding teacher had been started riding taking lessons for Gordon Wright, George Morris’s teacher. For a short while I though I had hit the jackpot but I was wrong. Since I worked 2nd shift I missed most of the regular lessons, I could not afford private lessons, but I did have fun schooling, galloping, jumping and trail riding my saint of a horse.

Then I saved up enough money so I could afford 3 months as a residential student at the North Fork School of Equitation run by Kay Russel, who promptly destroyed any idea I had that I was a decent rider. In turn she did make me a decent rider, and she was the first really, really good riding teacher I had in my life.

Then I saved up for my first Arabian, a weanling chesnut Sabino colt, after a lot of looking he was the best conformed Arab I could afford. Then I learned that colts DO NOT READ THE BOOKS, and I learned to have hair-trigger reflexes and I learned how to convince this colt that training was necessary. After gelding him he turned into a sweetie, then he got kicked in the elbow, hairline fracture, and a lot of my dreams went down the drain.

Then more weanlings, one a Paso Fino filly and my first Davenport Arabian (another chestnut sabino colt.) I never really “got anywhere” because my undiagnosed Multiple Sclerosis was getting worse and worse. After a drunk driver in a big American car drove head-on into my little Ford Escort a lot more dreams died, it hurt me too bad to ride more than once a year for around 4 years. Luckily my horses remembered the training I had given them just fine–sometimes it was picking up where I left off several years before for a ride. My horses never let me down but they were getting older and older. This wreck triggered my MS though it took almost 9 years before I got diagnosed.

Nowadays I feel VERY LUCKY if life and the weather let me get one 30 minute riding lesson a week. My riding teacher is absolutely wonderful, even better than Kay Russell, the only other really good riding teacher I had in my life. She works with me being crippled with MS, and she uses me to help her lesson horses who for some reason do not fit or stop fitting into her lesson program. That is fine with me, I LOVE training horses, the minute when they finally understand the idea is so totally wonderful. I just walk and trot in the ring since my balance is so horrible I no longer feel safe on the trail. If I did not ride I probably would no longer be able to walk, a few times my riding teacher has witnessed me being barely able to walk to the ring, ride 30 min., then be able to walk securely without canes if necessary after I get off. My riding teacher now truly believes that riding horses, even just at a walk, is wonderful physical therapy for MS.

I get bored in the ring. To relieve my boredom and the boredom of my lesson horse I got into riding with a double bridle again. My riding teacher had never taught someone to ride with a double bridle so I have been educating her and training her horses with the double bridle.

The conversation with the horse with the double bridle bits right now is the only thing that keeps me from dying with boredom just riding in the ring. There is not much I can do in 30 min. once a week but I improve the horse’s contact, work on hand-leg aid coordination, train the horse to ever more subtle aids, and I still enjoy riding.

I hope I ride until the day I die.

Then I had my first son. The lady running the stable with the wonderful pastures did not adapt well to this (she herself had 4 kids, teenagers, but whatever.)

5 Likes