Unlimited access >

The Kindness of Strangers

No hunter jumpers here. I grew up in an Eventing Ponyclub. All the pony clubs were friendly even if not eventers.

EFA I noticed a difference as my halter was stolen and only the lead rope left at my float.

1 Like

Lusolove,

I ran into Boyd Martin at the Track Kitchen in Aiken this winter, and he said hello and held the door for me. I was so shocked I didn’t do anything but say hello back.

It wasn’t until I was seated and Boyd was gone that I was really sure it was Boyd.

4 Likes

Gosh, this was nearly 10 years ago now, but I had entered my first starter trial alone, without my coach. My horse could be kind of squirrely and was still pretty green. At the last minute, my husband had something come up and couldn’t come along to be an extra set of hands. I put an inquiry out on social media asking if anyone would be there and could lend a hand if needed since I had a green horse and no help.

A couple whom I was acquaintances with read my post and said they would both show up to help me. One is an experienced eventer and her partner is an experienced groom. They were there at the crack of dawn and were my own personal team the whole day. Grooming, cheering, coaching, keeping me hydrated, you name it. I would have been in way over my head without them, but the two of them made the event such an unbelievably positive experience for both me and my horse! The fact that they gave up their weekend at the drop of a hat to do that for me is a kindness I can’t even repay.

27 Likes

I got bucked off in the dressage at an ODE and gave myself a pretty hard knock on the head. I’d lost consciousness briefly and when I came around, I didn’t really know where I was or what had happened. So I got a trip to hospital in an ambulance.

My poor dad was there with me and he was completely non horsey. But everyone around us chipped in to help. Someone got my horse untacked and put up in his stable. A few people packed up all of my gear and locked it in their trailer, so all Dad had to go was unhook the float and head to hospital. I had to stay in overnight so when he got back he was going to find someone to help him load my horse and head home.

Someone lived close to us, so they offered to drop my horse off so all Dad had to do was drop the float off and not worry about anything else. He never got their names but I am still so grateful to all of those people who helped him out that day.

25 Likes

Silly question but, what does the acronym EFA mean in this sentence?

Equestrian Federation of Australia. I believe nowadays it is just EA. Equestrian Australia.

Years ago I was competing at Plantation’s big fall event and I fell off at a combination on cross country in front of a BNT who happened to be out walking the course. He asked if I was OK and then continued walking his course. Later he went out of his way to seek me out in stabling to make sure I was OK, reminded me that he had also taken a tumble at that particular combination, and asked if I wanted to watch the remainder of the division with him to see how it rode the rest of the day. I still keep in touch with him to this day!

26 Likes

Late to this party, but wanted to add my experience with Eventers also positive :+1:
My first-ever was a charity Event where I was an Obvious Newb (had to ask how to use the Start box :smirk:).
Everyone was welcoming & helpful.
In stark contrast to my longtime experience at H/J shows & Dressage breed snobbery (both of the Times: late 80s, early 90s).
At my 1st rated Event, DH’s horse was being sticky in SJ. Judge told ring steward to lower the jump for him.

I have also found Drivers - both casual, ADS & CDE - to be welcoming & willing to help or jump in, if needed, for safety.

3 Likes

I had a fine tine pitchfork stolen at an eventing derby. Took it right off my trailer where it was secured.

I was volunteering at the Carolina International one year doing jump judging. I had a horse on course near the Stonehenge jump and was coming towards my jump. I asked a rider who was going to walk her course to stop and wait until the horse went over my jump. Rider ignored me and I told her to stop again. She replied I am an event rider they aren’t going to run me over. I said I really don’t care who you are. I asked you to stop. Meanwhile horse was still coming. All of a sudden I heard Oy!-we’re Olympians and we listen to volunteers! What makes you so special? Turned around and it was Boyd and Will Coleman. Let’s just say I had the biggest grin on my face!

39 Likes