Unlimited access >

The Latest on the Justify DQ from 2018 Santa Anita Derby

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/275497/agreement-chrb-to-order-justify-dq-pay-ruis-300-000

The juxtaposition of the above article with this one on the same web page –

–makes me shake my head and sigh with frustration at the inconsistency of human beings.

I wonder why anyone would get excited about up-and-coming 2-year-olds in Florida when yet another Kentucky Derby winner is about to be disqualified for something his humans did to him and other baby horses are dying on other tracks.

It makes no sense to me and no one seems to even think it needs explaining.

Probably because most horses race without being disqualified for banned substances.

“Baby horses”? I’m guessing that you oppose TB racing in its entirety.

Do you understand TB racing rules and how they are applied?

It’s silly to compare the enforcement by TB racing of their rules regarding drug testing (and many other safeguards which are much more stringent than USEF rules) to USEF or FEI rules.

There is hope for racing in that they do test, more often than USEF or the FEI do. HISA is coming down like a ton of bricks although they are trying to be diplomatic because this is a new set of rules., USEF and the FEI, not so much, they seem to be stuck in the mud to me…

The difference being (IMHO is) that HISA was made law, but USEF and the FEI are dithering around as usual, because they can.

If you really want to complain about racing , research HISA and see that the uniting of rules is having, slowly but surely, a reckoning with TB horse welfare in racing. Most owners aren’t baddies, but the rules are needed to keep the baddies in line.

Complaining about TB racing, when USEF and the FEI are speaking pretty but doing nothing about abuse on their watch, is disingenuous. Both of those organizations allow a hell of a lot more fiddling with horses, than does racing.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Justify wasn’t DQ;d timely in order to prevent him from running in the triple crown races. This doesn’t mean that ultimately he is not going to be a good sire. However, he will have gotten much better mares that he would have had he not “won” the triple crown. Rules are rules. No matter what you think about him as a racehorse, the playing field needs to be level.

1 Like
1 Like

Not surprising. :roll_eyes: