Unlimited access >

The media blitz needs to STOP NOW!!

This overload of information is not allowing anyone time to breath and adjust to the facts. People need a moment away from the television, from all of the awful details. They need to be able to reflect and assimilate. This media blitz is just pushing people past what they can tolerate and is creating worse problems.

Personally, I’m blaming them for the bomb scares. If they’d stop harping on them for just a minute, people wouldn’t believe they could get attention by creating one. This is what they normal do. They ignore many of them, knowing how it impacts the public. For some reason they’ve gone beyond losing their moral compass–to shooting it out into deep space.

And I’m tired of them holding up their reporters as heroes. Did we REALLY need to see everything that close that they put themselves in harms way? And what about going to the bunker where the President landed to hide out. Ummm…gee…do you think THAT is a possible breach of security? And announcing where he’d gone so they could find him? Please!

Common sense is gone. The age of instant news is only increasing the scope of this tragedy.

JMHO

I’m not always proud of the type of journalism that’s presented on the broadcast media and in newspapers and magazines these days. The revelations of President Clinton’s extracurricular activities are a far cry from the self-imposed silence by the press about John F. Kennedy’s activities.

But the turn toward the sensational, the tacky, the expose, the gossipy revelation of dirty secrets, etc., has followed the change of public mores and morals in modern society. When I was a teen-ager, girls didn’t proudly carry their out-of-wedlock pregnancies to term in full view of their high school chums. Movies didn’t show frontal female and male nudity (at least, not in this country). Drivers didn’t flip off somebody who cut in front of them, much less take out a gun and blast away.

The public’s insatiable appetite for the sensational and even the gory – look at the movies that top the box office charts most weeks – follows the loosening of public morals. And I don’t necessarily mean sexual. We applaud rude behavior, we intrude on other people’s space with boomboxes and cigarette smoke, our impatience shows that we believe we are more important than the next person.

I’m not advocating a return to the prim '50s and I think a presidential candidate should be judged on his personal conduct as part of the overall package. But I would like to see a return of the cold shoulder, the social snub, the sense of shame, the refusal to read about someone else’s dirty laundry. Until enough people say enough, the media will continue to give the public what the box office, the circulation figures, the overnight Nielsens continue to say what the public wants.

It’s like talking to the walls.

Hey Beezer! You me and Trixie should form a support group. Maybe some day, the uninformed will stop bashing the media, but until then, we who KNOW what goes into our jobs will just have to tough it out together.

Velvet, perhaps you’d like to be the one to tell the family of my now deceased photographer comrade (who perished in the collapse of Tower 1), that he was “IN the way”?

There wasn’t a SINGLE member of the media who impeded the efforts of search and rescue teams or ANYBODY else. I still can’t even believe someone would think that was the case. The media is kept well behind established “crime scene” perimeters. In fact, there is a report that the one reporter who attempted to get beyond the established press area is now in jail for his actions. The rest of us know better, thank you very much.

Perhaps I should stop reading the replies in this thread…it is really upsetting me, and there is MORE than enough going on right now that ACTUALLY MATTERS to upset me, without having to listen to the banter of the grossly misinformed.

Olmosheaven-I keep wondering if it’s the tail wagging the dog, though. Don’t you wonder, too? Is it us just being passive and accepting it? Or is it us really “wanting” it?

lilblackhorse- I’m shocked, too!

To everyone else, I think that part of my problem is the replaying of the crash images over, and over, and over. If I just want to watch the news for a minute to catch up, I’ll get those images replayed five times in a half hour on some channels.

I have turned off the TV, but to me it just seems like there are no other options that are being presented other than a book, and I also have a difficult time focsing on one.

The reason I started this topic was just because it does seem to me like just plain too much…and that they don’t know when to stop. Last nights television moved a bit more away from it, tonight we’re right back into the thick of it. I just wish they’d get a bit of distance, show some respect, and repeat things that are more helpful and a bit less harmful to the American psyche.

One thing that I saw that made me feel sad, proud (of the U.S.) and amazed was in London, at the changing of the guard when they played our national anthem.

I promised myself that I would not return to this thread. I’ve got more to do right now than to try to set a few records straight. (And I’d like to say a great, big THANKS to the supportive posters here.)

But I am tired. Really tired, dispirited and really, really, REALLY cranky. And those are the times that, for some bizarre reason I’ve never been able to figure out, I tend to tilt at impossible windmills when I should be escaping in the other direction. So please forgive me if I don’t make a whole lot of sense at this point. And please excuse what will probably prove to be a long post.

Velvet and others, I can – as I’ve said before – intellectually understand where you are coming from. But please, and while I hate cliches, this one is apt: Don’t attack the messenger just because you don’t like the message.

A couple of factual points: Media outlets are sharing footage and reports. Much of what you see on CNN, Fox, the major broadcast networks and other outlets is pool footage. It’s generally provided by the local stations in New York, though in this case much of it has come from your average folks out doing the tourist thing on what turned out to be the wrong morning. That is not to say that each of these national/international networks do not have their own reporters and camera people in place; they do – that’s WHY they are national/international networks. (Did you know that the only Western TV journalist in Afganistan is a CNN reporter? I don’t know about you, but I’m damned glad that he is there.)

I don’t know much about how TV news operates, but I do know THAT much.

Newspapers work virtually the same way. Most of the “local” papers are making use of wire services to cover this tragedy; the wires may pick up stories and photos from freelancers who just happened to be on-scene, from papers that are close enough to staff it, from those unfortunate tourists, and from the major national/international papers that have the resources to cover it because THEY ARE national/international papers: The New York Times, the Washington Post, Wall St. Journal and my own.

Each media outlet chooses the footage/stories that it elects to run. If you’re seeing the same images over and over, it’s because – for once – most people in the media agree on just what is news.

I may not agree with the choices. I may, in fact, think that it was a little silly of one of the local network TV affiliates out here to send a reporter by car to New York while all the planes were grounded. But I simply don’t watch his reports or read the stories that I think are trivial. I’ve even worked to have a couple of stories at my paper “killed” because I felt they were out of place in the scope of this tragedy.

As for your money-making contention, again, please don’t confuse news with network TV. Yes, a network wants to make money; its shareholders rather like that. A news division really doesn’t give a damn about the bottom line. The same with newspapers. My own paper, for example, has been spending millions more on covering this horrible attack than it could ever hope to recoup. Plus, the corporation has set up a $25-million matching aid fund; they’ve guaranteed that that’s the minimum they’ll deliver.

Yeah. We’re all in it for the money.

Ah. Now for that “we’re all in it for the awards” point. If you honestly, deeply in your soul feel that way, then you are so terribly jaded about my profession that nothing I could possibly say could sway you.

But I will tell you this: I was trapped in my building during the Los Angeles riots. Several of my colleagues and I were herded into the basement by security guards and had the door locked behind us while a mob circled the block and tried to set the place on fire … and you know, by damned, I was thinking to myself the whole time: Heck yeah, I’ma gonna gets me one of them Pulitzers!

PLEASE.

I was trying to figure out what the HELL was going on in my city. TO my city. Why the world had suddenly gone utterly, completely mad. And I had to figure out a way to help my reporters explain that to our readers. Did we win a Pulizer? Yup. We also won one for covering the Northridge Earthquake. And we sure were salivating over documenting all that death and destruction.

Sorry for the sarcasm. But it truly, deeply bothers me that you would have so little understanding of our jobs and feel the need to be so harsh toward those of us who do a job you don’t understand. I probably shouldn’t let it bother me, but I do; I hope that pleases you.

To put it in relative terms, I’ve never ridden a dressage test; never done a three-day event; never done an endurance ride. But that does not mean I cannot appreciate the effort, hardiness, courage and dedication to do any of those pursuits well.

Yes, covering the news is my job. I’m good at it. Some days, I’m better than good; I’d like to think a few of those days have been during the last godawful week. I could have done something else with my life, but I doubt I would have been as good at it. Journalists, like everyone else, tend to gravitate toward the professions that will make the most use of their talents.

Finally – and yes, I know that this post is reaching novel-length proportions – it probably won’t matter to you, but this catastrophe is on very channel in pretty much every country that doesn’t have government-controlled television. It’s in every newspaper. My cable company carries BBC news and we’re all they’re talking about; it carries four Mexico stations, and we’re “it” on them, too. France, Germany, Italy – pretty much everywhere in Europe, South America, Australia, Canada, wherever, and they’re seeing the same footage you are.

It’s news. It’s history. It’s US, for God’s sake.

Frankly, I can’t help but feel that you realize that you’ve struck a nerve with your posts on this thread. That skewering people – and getting a rise out of them – somehow pleases you. If that’s the case, might I suggest that you’ve missed your calling and should have been a commentator.

Or perhaps you already are.

Bulletin Board Goddess

I didn’t have any control being in lower NYC on Tues. morning, but I have control in turning off the television if the coverage was too much for me. As difficult as it is to watch I am able to gleem much needed information about the situation and my friends.
After the events of this week could we please stop bickering over unimportant things and just agree to disagree.
Thanks to all those kind New Yorkers who helped those of us that were able to walk out of lower NYC on Tuesday for all your help. As I walked north from downtown I could not believe the kindness of ordinary residents coming out of their apartments offering water, juice, wet paper towels. THANK-YOU.

I wouldn’t define it as a “feeding frenzy” but I suppose sharing knowledge, informing and helping others understand the truth is open to individual interpretation…

I don’t think anyone was directing their comments at the newspeople and photographers who (like you) are in the trenches. I, personally, feel that the people back at the station who are deciding what gets released and what doesn’t need to more carefully review the material before releasing it. As far as documenting this event because of its historical significance – YES, absolutely; I agree that it must be documented. There are going to be repercussions from this that stretch well into the future, so we should keep good “records” of what happened. I’d just like to see more compassion shown for the family members of those people photographed. I would be beside myself if it was my mother, father, husband, or whomever shown jumping from the building.

And, Jennasis, I know that there are a lot of brave and compassionate newspeople/photographers on the scene who are appalled and heartsick as they record this event. I don’t envy them their job, and I’m grateful that they are bringing us the news. My finger pointing is at the people at the news stations who I think could show better judgment in what they publicize. You are doing a tough job that has to be done.

You know what Robby, while I want to agree with you on one level, on another I so desperately don’t. I also agree that a BB about horses is not exactly the most appropriate place to always discuss it. However, over 5000 people were killed with one savage act. The goal was much more. I feel just a bit strange discussing horses in light of this, even though my interest in them keeps me drifting to this board. This is deadly serious and has only just begun. I realize we can’t really control anything in our day to day lives, but I find it just a bit strange to go on discussing day to day activities with out what is occurring outside creeping into my thoughts, as they should be.

We are hearing what is happening now. Most of the coverage is very current and forward-looking. Lots of it is about what is open and closed, roads, trains, airports, etc.

If you have no other TV channels, how about renting a movie? That’s what I’ve done the past two nights and it has helped give me respite.

Since I don’t have an ass but have been advised by dear Robby that they’ve migrated to my shoulders, does that mean I have to dig out my power suits from the early '90’s with the uber-shoulder pads?

On the “moving on” comment, I meant move on to the CURRENT news! Not leave the topic entirely, but cover what is being done now, and stop rehashing the crashes at the moment.

Don’t you want to hear about the survivors and the recovery of the dead? Yes, I see you do. That was exactly my point.

Points taken. I know I shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bathwater, but sometimes out here conversations devolve into generalities when things get heated.

As for the Chronicle, I think horse shows are different than these dangerous events. If someone is already there and the event happens, they should write about it, but I don’t see why someone needs to run into a burning building to describe what it’s like to be on fire. (One of those points where we have to agree to disagree.) I mean, telling me what it looked like, and what other people who experienced it because they had to (they were involved as victims, or they were firefighters and policemen/women) makes more sense to me. And, for the Chronicle’s part, they need to go to all the shows, because no one else in this country covers the same events.

When I see every one of my local stations sending people to Washington and New York, that’s when I see it as a feeding frenzy, or a battle for ratings. Usually they just repeat each other, and then I wonder why they are all bothering and not just pooling their resources (ah, but it’s a business…)

I don’t necessarily think that they should have been showing “Jerry Springer” instead of covering the news, but why can’t they have someone in the background putting together more in-depth (instead of picking up on rumors) stories on the events and then putting them on TV.

I think the WB did the right thing by showing some innocuous movie the next night, and letting the other channels duke it out. I actually wish (yeah, this is a pipe dream) that the other channels would have gotten together and each decided to cover one aspect so people could just go to what interests them most. Maybe then the repeating of the image over and over wouldn’t have bothered me because I wouldn’t have seen it if I didn’t want to.

I’m just rambling here. I’m not really annoyed anymore; just still disappointed by the behavior I saw the evening of 9/12 and all of 9/13 (not 9/11). Then again, hearing Katie Couric also made it better. When they admit to their mistakes, it shows that someone out there is actually aware of it and is willing to take responsibility. It’s when they go into the overkill mode and don’t seem to think there’s anything wrong with some of the things they show and the image that they project ON TO (I use that term because most American’s are passive viewers of news–and that information is in many studies) the public.

I’ll repeat it again (and I know you get it, Erin) this is–JMHO.

Velvet, egads woman, perhaps you need to pause and contemplate that sometimes the world does not revolve around you.

Velvet’s question about why journalists do what they do is a good – and important – one. And I honestly value her opinions, no matter how much they might personally bother me.

I work with photographers but am not one, nor do I assign them to stories – since I feel can’t I can truly speak “for” them, I’ll stick to reporters and editors; I’m also talking only about print folks here – I don’t “know” TV and radio.

Reporters and editors (who generally used to be reporters) are born with more than their share of curiosity. They’re nosy; they’re amateur detectives; they want to know why and how, what “that” means and how “this” works. They like stories; they like to hear them, they like to tell them.

Other facets of their personality – and life experiences – dictate what area of news they turn that curiosity on: “investigative reporting” (think Watergate, the Olympic bribery scandal), “hard” or “breaking” news (that’d be your cops and robbers, criminals and courts, fires and floods), civic affairs (government, including all its endless agencies), business, environment, science, “soft news” (those would be the ones who do the “lifestyle” stories, travel, food and – yes, for Suzy and Robby – fashion).

Foreign correspondents are a whole 'nother breed. Ditto war correspondents – who are usually foreign correspondents lucky or unlucky enough (depending on one’s viewpoint) to be posted to a country that the rest of the world suddenly turns its eye on. They are generally the best of the best, the elite reporters who are enmeshed in the lives, policies and politics of the country they are assigned to. Many U.S.-born reporters heed that call; in many other cases, U.S. media outlets hire the best and brightest of the local journalists to be their eyes and ears overseas.

Anyway…

We’re also really, really good observers – a personality trait that our training builds on. “The human condition” fascinates us. We’re intrigued by that old “who, what, where, when and why,” and we have a talent for explaining it to those who may also want to know but don’t know how or have the time to find it out.

On a story of this magnitude, yes, we are all tripping over ourselves. We can, do and will make mistakes. But consider us part of the team that is trying to find out the “who” and “why” and “how” so that it never happens again.

One of my reporters is a Vietnam vet. He is a wonderful character, even though most of the newsroom considers him a bit of a loose cannon. Having dug under the bluster, I’ve discovered a very kind – and while he’d rip me a new one for ever saying this, even though he’d be blushing at the same time over the praise – a very, very sweet, tender man with great wells of compassion for the people he interviews.

He – like all of us – took these attacks very, very personally. He’s mined every source, tapped every tip, in hopes of rooting out a few terrorists. Silly? Perhaps. But it was a mission to him. A war to him. One he needed – indeed, was compelled – to fight. He “found” that a couple of them had lived locally; he uncovered details of their lives that even the police had missed. He shares with the FBI, the FBI shares what they can on the record and what they can’t off the record, and the public gains.

I’m not sure if I’ve helped explain or just made things worse. But I am truly very, very proud of the work my reporters, and my paper, is doing. And I am reminded of just how important it is when I get calls like the one I fielded yesterday, from the teary-voiced woman calling to thank us for the stories we are doing. She had me crying, too, before she was done. Not that it takes that much to do that these days.

Bulletin Board Goddess

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I admit, I’ve been out here losing my temper at the media and the government, not because they’re easy victims, but because I truly believe they are part of this problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heartily disagree Velvet.

For those of us who share your horror at the events of Tuesday, for the friends and family of the lost and murdered, the media represents not only a source of information but perhaps a medium from which we, and those who are directly affected, can derive some answers.

Having been glued to the television set since Tuesday morning, and profoundly saddened by the terrorist attacks, I feel a need for answers - I want someone to explain to me, why and how.

I am not a religious person so am seeking those answers from various media sources, who have invested a great deal of time speaking with military, economic, political specialists; a media that has taken considerable time to speak to the families of the missing and dead; I want to witness the gut-wrenching work of the fire workers and policemen; I want to share, and absolve myself of, the collective grief.

Amen.

This overload of information is not allowing anyone time to breath and adjust to the facts. People need a moment away from the television, from all of the awful details. They need to be able to reflect and assimilate. This media blitz is just pushing people past what they can tolerate and is creating worse problems.

Personally, I’m blaming them for the bomb scares. If they’d stop harping on them for just a minute, people wouldn’t believe they could get attention by creating one. This is what they normal do. They ignore many of them, knowing how it impacts the public. For some reason they’ve gone beyond losing their moral compass–to shooting it out into deep space.

And I’m tired of them holding up their reporters as heroes. Did we REALLY need to see everything that close that they put themselves in harms way? And what about going to the bunker where the President landed to hide out. Ummm…gee…do you think THAT is a possible breach of security? And announcing where he’d gone so they could find him? Please!

Common sense is gone. The age of instant news is only increasing the scope of this tragedy.

JMHO

I agree with Beezer and Jennasis. It’s harsh news coverage but we’ve got a job to do. When I was out there taking pictures at the monuments, I was alone and I told myself to turn off my emotions and get my job done. Fortunately, I had the strength to do that. I took my pictures, got in my car, took them in, and then let myself feel again.
I’m still pretty shell-shocked and it’s really hard not to break down and start crying when you’re out there taking pictures and when you’re writing your story – you learn to type through your tears. It’s really emotional stuff and believe me, the media is not all hard-edged, heartless monsters. We’re feeling it just as hard as you are, maybe harder because we’re right there in it, maybe not, but believe me, we’re feeling it.

It’s very difficult to turn off your emotions while you’re out there. At the moment, most people want their continuing coverage and it is our duty to bring it to you. And in order to get that job done, we have to keep our composure while we’re on the job. But speaking for my office, when we get home, we’re exhausted and wrecked, totally emotionally drained.

I think it’s disgusting that any of you have the gall to say we’re not feeling this. You don’t know that. And equally disgusting for you to blame us for any of this. You’re pointing fingers, and that’s almost as bad as the people that are throwing bricks at Muslims. I’m going to ask you nicely now to stop speculating, and remind you that it is ok to turn off your TV.

Many folks don’t have access to the news at all times. Therefore the repetitive nature of what is being shown can be viewed by all.

By all means when you’ve “had enough” go out for a walk and enjoy the day or whatever relaxes you. This is simply another one of our great freedoms at work, freedom of the press.

I also would like to see a return to “morality”. I’m amazed by what I see and hear people doing and saying. This kind of reminds me of the thread where everyone was talking about “being common”.

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!