Unlimited access >

The music

We were greatly amused by the music played during reining and dressage. Whatever team was responsible for the selection of songs deserves an award. I bow to their superior skills.

We first noticed it during reining in the morning and when we moved over to dressage, it was a similar story. Most of the songs were picked to represent the horse’s name or the rider’s country. For example, the country song “Her favorite color is chrome,” was playing while a horse with “chrome” in his name was making his run in reining and during the dressage ride of one of the Swedish competitors, the strains of Abba played softly in the background.

Some of the connections were a little obscure, but we could identify them in most of the songs once we caught on and started paying attention.

Yes, they always do that. At the Atlanta Olympics in between rides it was non-stop Georgia themed music. The poor guy doing music ALL day long has to do something to amuse himself. :slight_smile:

Amazingly the music seem to match the horses footfall and changed between gaits and movements. Somebody put a lot of work into it!

Yes 4 time music for walk, 2 time for trot and 3 time for canter. You can pay for people to put music together for you. It is an art form.

Suzie,

From what I have heard it is a very lucrative art form.

I know Nico Meridith, who has done many dressage venues in the past has a collection of music that is average timed for the tests in progress, if he has a more extensive collection for horse type and country I don’t know

Do the riders provide the music themselves to the WEG management or do the folks at WEG create it for the individual riders? I’m meaning music for the Team dressage yesterday and today’s Individual tests. I know the riders provide their own own for the Freestyle. I am assuming the individual riders provide all their own music, regardless of division/test but…?

AFAIK The riders are responsible for the music by either doing it themselves or paying someone to do it. They practice to the music so the house probably knows the music as well.

I remember a thread on here where a rider had her CD stolen and the person denied stealing it but later rode a test to the same music.

I was asked what music I had in mind… and just said…whatever you think… He does an awesome job at the reining

SuzyQ, I think you’re talking about the freestyle. I’m talking about the background music that plays during the regular rides. It is not selected to match the horses’ movements or anything like that.

Background music is just background. I loved the Beatles montage for the British horse, and the Irish jiggy music for the dear Irish girl’s horse. And the sultry song for the lovely German stallion.

I know the reining music selection was done by the announcer who does a great job at matching the songs with the horses!