Unlimited access >

The Purge

I’ve just finished a six-month purge of allllll excess horse equipment and IT FEELS SO GOOD. I’ve hung on to my dressage saddle (sentimental reasons, plus it’s worth absolutely nothing) but finally got rid of the last three items that were redundant or duplicate this week:

A small flatback bucket, a pair of lovely black dressage leathers, and a kids pair of Wintec stirrup webbers. I really thought I might be stuck with those random items for the rest of my life as they’ve been “for sale” for months, so it’s extra exciting to have them gone :partying_face:

This leaves me with ONE Rubbermaid tote in the basement, some new winter blankets in the cupboard (which will be pulled out once all this rain morphs into snow) and whatever I keep in my car (grooming tote with fancy brushes) and barn locker (very minimal, just long-lining or lungeing equipment, first aid kit and a spare rainsheet).

Anyone else purged lately, and care to share?

6 Likes

raises hand I just did a huge purge of my tack trunk after my last lease ended. Sold a ton of stuff and it feels good to be organized and “light”. Still have a few things laying around but they’ll sell eventually or I’ll give them away.

2 Likes

I try to purge regularly and resell tack when I can. I have 2 large boxes waiting to go to a consignment shop right now, as well as 2 western saddle pads. This purge was brought on when I realized how much extra tack I was carrying around in my living quarters trailer. I had enough to open a small tack store, and darned if it wasn’t taking up a HUGE amount of space!

I have actually found that purging in all areas of my life has made it simpler and less chaotic. Our house is small, with few closets and little storage.

I am always amazed at the amount of clothing I have that I do not wear. I think I have heard the statistic that you really only wear about 20% of what is in your closet. I definitely could provide proof on that! The only reason I don’t get rid of more clothing is between COVID and a health issue that happened about 4 months before the pandemic I haven’t had to go anywhere and dress up for almost 2 years.

2 Likes

I too have finally gotten the last of my unwanted horse stuff out. Hopefully the things on consignment will sell of course for much less than I paid for them. But out of sight out of mind. I was left with older tack when my cousin died. Had to donate some older bridles and a duster coat. I’m still stuck with a Stetson hat!!!

I’m now left with one of each thing I use regularly including just one saddle pad, bridle, girth and saddle. I’m also trying to use up some topical products that I won’t replace when they’re gone.

I didn’t start out with nearly as much stuff as most horsepeople but it still feels like too much that I have to keep.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of this. My new horse is a bit smaller than anything I’ve had before. He’s only four but just not going to get big enough to justify hanging on to some of the stuff. So I have a ton of blankets, girths, bits that I’m hoping to find you homes for soon.

1 Like

I recently posted some insulated blankets and one fly sheet for sale. I got a half dozen people asking about the fly sheet and two people ghosting on the insulated blankets AFTER I’d gone to the trouble of packing them up and getting shipping quotes.

I’ve had that fly sheet for years without interest when I put it up for sale. Maybe if I post the insulated blankets in the spring they’ll sell…

2 Likes

I don’t have a lot of stuff to start with but I try to purge regularly so I can get some new stuff ;). Sometimes, I get some help when items “disappear” ( I board at a BIG, busy barn and stuff tends to walk away if left unattended for a bit). My favorite finishing brush, for one. :frowning: so I am thinking of getting a Haas brush to replace it.

Since most of the items I want to part with are well used, I tend to give them away on the barn’s FB page rather than sell them, and I always find takers. The last thing I sold were all my extra bridles and reins, and one nice fleece-backed saddle pad with pockets.

1 Like

I’m doing the opposite of all you… collecting the things you’re selling. :grin: I have been working on sorting and do have a pile marked “to go” but the hassle of selling (especially on FB, which seems to be the most common way now) puts me off.

6 Likes

I’m hoping this will be me in a year or so when I’m shopping for my first horse. Right now I’ve been working on putting together a grooming kit- brushes so far are all either on sale or second hand items. And I’m ashamed to admit, all are pink, purple, glitter or sparkles :woozy_face:. My inner child who never had a pony does my horse shopping. :sweat:

6 Likes

I went through and found eight (EIGHT) turnouts I didn’t need in trunks in 2018. Sent them off to be professionally cleaned, rewaterproofed, repaired if needed; only one needed a repair, the rest were dusty or maybe had dirty straps but otherwise looked new :woman_facepalming:t3: and most had original bags still. Sold them pretty quickly because they were in great shape, made IIRC a few hundred bucks, which was nice with a new farm at the time.

Just rearranged my garage this summer so I could fit a folded but still big treadmill in there and get it out of my house, and also get in the big gym quality elliptical I just got in there for using, along with one of my Dad’s classic cars… yeah found a yard bag FULL OF TURNOUTS. Probably another five plus turnouts, it weighed a ton and I’m honestly too ashamed to pull them out. Yeesh. I was a hoarding or forgetful fool at some point in the last 15 years… This doesn’t count the turnouts in the barn for horses, who incidentally haven’t worn blankets of any sort in the last two years.

4 Likes

I just listed a load of saddle pad and wraps sets for sale, basically because I want a new set and don’t have room :joy:

I also listed dressage saddle, soaking boots, hoof boots and blankets from my big WB I put down 2 yrs ago… it’s time to let them go.

And now comes the annoying process of answering questions that are already answered in the ads, and getting shipping quotes to people who will inevitably ghost me after all that weighing and measuring…

2 Likes

Put your money towards quality stuff, new or used. (Haas brushes, you’ll never go back to regular ones). When you’re ready, learn from all of us and just buy what you need, the best you can afford. You won’t need matchy pads and polos (fun, but you’ll regret it). Eventually you’ll end up with a trunk full of stuff and wonder how the heck it all got there.

4 Likes

YES!!! I was about to comment on that too :rofl: As we’ve found out on COTH, Haas brushes are kind’ve a big deal. After 30 years of horse ownership – spent buying cheap brushes and everything else, TBH – I finally upgraded to a Haas set for about $100 and can say it’s the best money I’ve spent on horse equipment, ever!

Quality > quanitity, always.

2 Likes

Yep, that part of purging is … less fun :frowning: I ended up selling everything locally because anyone who wanted a shipping quote ghosted me too! Typically it’d be easier if there were used tack sales to rent a table at, but I know in my area, they haven’t yet made a comeback. Good luck with your clear-out!

People are used to free shipping :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

(Thanks, Amazon).

1 Like

I don’t even know how you guys are doing this. I don’t want to get rid of any of it! I’m a minimalist in real life, but in my horse-life, I’m a hoarder. It’s all in my garage, where I like to go visit it from time to time.
I keep telling myself to sell my $300+ bareback pad that I literally never use. I just can’t do it! Some people collect baseball cards…I collect horse stuff!

6 Likes

You aren’t totally crazy (Ok, here I go enabling on a purge thread… but hey, it’s COTH… enabling is the thing). Gathering a few items before the horse comes along can be helpful. Speaking from buying (and eventually selling) a few projects over the years, there is always something specific you will need to buy for each horse… having some of the generic items (like brushes, leads, etc) on hand already can spread the spending out a bit. Plus, doing it slowly ahead of time can allow you to carefully curate items you love (whether that means Haas brushes or sparkly pink brushes, whatever sparks your joy) rather than just buying what’s available because you’re in a pinch.

3 Likes

Oh, how I envy those who’ve successfully downsized. On one hand, I desperately need to purge but … What if I need this for the next horse?! Or more likely, “I just can’t deal with buyers”. But after moving my tack room for the 3rd time in as many months, I need to get rid of stuff.

The trick is not accumulating it back! I’m learning to DIY glue-on hoof boots and have acquired a whole new shelf of glue tubes, glue mixing tips, glue gun, hoof packing, hoof pour-in, wire brushes, butane torch, butane refill, sandpaper, rasp, nippers … Gah!

4 Likes

I rarely get rid of anything. If I have the space for it, it’s still a useful item, and I think I may need it in the future, I keep it.

However, my horses have always been within a certain size range, and of very similar build (as an International judge once remarked to me, I have a type, lol) , and I’m not in a climate that requires complete sets of horse apparel, so I don’t have that much depth. One Irish sweat, one mesh sheet, one winter blanket, for example, I like having a spare bridle and noseband, and various types of saddle pads.

I do own several bits that I’ll probably never use again. But the bits don’t take much room, are in a place where I see them once in a while, and they bring back fond memories of the horses who wore them.

I finally replaced a couple ratty five gallon buckets this year with EquiFit AgSIlver Clean Buckets (my favorite); it was surprising difficult to toss the old ones with their bent handles and scuffed edges:

I could stand to cull a saddle (I’ve got five for two horses), but the one that could go is a specialty saddle, so would probably be a slow sale. I’ll likely donate it at some future time.

Otherwise, I’ve only got a couple extra pairs of bell boots. and a few odds and ends. I try to be mindful in my purchasing, and only buy what I need - and what will hold up long-term. It’s a big deal for me when I replace a halter, for instance. Having a size/type of horse has really helped me not accumulate excess.

1 Like