Unlimited access >

The Purge

Yup, a 30-ish gallon tote of “extra” stuff. And that includes my paddock boots and half chaps, a couple items I know I won’t be able to replace if I ever get a larger horse again, all tack cleaning equipment, etc. (Turns out the extra basket of stuff I came across afterwards was actually my “sell” pile, guess I was saving it for an in-person tack sale as there’s nothing extraordinarily exciting in there).

I’m starting to think this thread needs some pictures. Either for inspiration or motivation, take your pick :laughing:

My problem is my riding kit. When I moved house I discovered how many pairs of riding boots I own. And they all moved with me.

I’m getting more comfortable with just throwing things away. Anything that needs repairs where it’s clear that the problem will happen again gets tossed.

I do, however, still have a waffle cooler I bought for $5 at a local rescue place. It’s a 78, but looked a bit small, so I thought it might fit her since she wears a 75. Um… nope. The thing has been shrunk in the wash, it measures 69 inches and most of the shrinkage was toward the spine… it barely came halfway down her admittedly round sides!

Also, bits don’t count.

5 Likes

I had a tack clean out a while back. And now I need several items I used to own. Bah humbug.

4 Likes

I do wish COTH would let us have a buy/sell/trade group. We’re all “friends” with each other and clearly have a surplus of supplies! :wink:

2 Likes

Or perhaps a COTH-based Haas brush trading group (very specific thread reference, there)!

2 Likes

I don’t bother trying to sell anything on FB, I take anything I have for sale to a local tack consignment shop and have them sell it for me. I’ve purged and repurged my tack room and my trailer as well as breeches that no longer fit, shirts, saddles, and the last items were blankets I amassed but don’t need. FB just pisses me off when you get people asking questions that are already answered in the ad, trying to lowball you, want tons of additional pictures, etc. Shipping is a hassle so I just prefer paying the consignment fee and having them sell it for me.

3 Likes

When I buy new boots, I donate or sell the old pair. If I find myself not reaching for a riding top it goes out the door. I feel no nostalgia for old tack so it is easy for me to let narrow channeled saddles or non-anatomical bridles go out the door. Jacket and breeches technology continues to improve with technical fabric so those fly out the door if not used. At this point I don’t think I have any redundant tack beyond trailer duplicates for safety (halter, lead rope, lunge line, whip, lunge whip). In a pinch, minus my saddle and blankets I could probably fit every other horse item I own into one tack trunk.

Typically, I donate items to the local pony clubs for their annual sales. The only items worth the annoyance to actually sell tend to be items over $100. Selling is the worst.

I find I go through phases with clothes and gear. Sometimes I need sheepskin half pads, sometimes I don’t. Some years I wear certain items, other years it isn’t cold or hot enough. I have used old bits. I have used old headstalls. Some winters I blanket more heavily. Etc. So I don’t mind having a bit extra around.

1 Like

First you acquire all the bits and bobs in an orgy of “that’s ALMOST exactly what I need”.

Then you use some, lose some, break some, sell some.

Then you have grandchildren. WHY WHY WHY did I let go of that 15 inch kid saddle (that was 60 years old)?

1 Like