Unlimited access >

The Sport We Love

I agree - I’m very lucky to have the horses and try my best to keep that thought at the front of my mind. It requires a lot of hard work (totally self-care, so that means early mornings and late nights before/after work and school) and a lot of sacrifice in other areas of my life in terms of how I save and where else I don’t spend money and time. I didn’t mention that in my first post as I figured that was pretty much a given as a young person doing anything horse related :stuck_out_tongue:

If you do end up being interested in the OTTB route, I have an excellent contact in Collinsville, IL which is probably 4-5 hours south of you. They have a private training track, so the atmosphere is much less busy than the racetrack and I thought it was easier to get a good idea of the horse’s temperament. The OTTB I purchased from them cost less than most saddles and is exactly as they described him. They were also careful to steer me towards horses of theirs that they truly felt would hold up best for my intended use (in terms of soundness), which I was very grateful for.

I had a couple of years as I finished college where health/finances/family circumstances really limited my involvement in the horse world. It was really tough and it sounds like you are in much the same situation. I hope you are able to find some solutions - I know that it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

[QUOTE=huntr_eq_blonde;7549890]
If you could find me a lesson horse in Northern Illinois that could jump 4’, I would love you forever. However, it just isn’t going to happen. You HAVE TO LEASE, even an unfancy horse, to jump 4’.

I did do what I could and I was happy. Unfortunately, I topped out financially when wanting to progress 4’+ and that is frustrating and makes me sad when I can’t progress. :([/QUOTE]

Again…you CAN progress without having to necessarily jump 4’. Others have made some excellent suggestions, and I agree it sounds like you need to step back and take care of the health concerns, focus on school if you’re going back, and get a plan together. Yes, getting a good job will fund many horsey possibilities in the future. In the meantime, if you need to ride because horses are good for you, then stop focusing on the fence height and ask yourself what else you need to improve on to be a better rider and horseman. Seek those lessons (yes, maybe riding in a dressage or eventing barn for a period!) and acquire those tools for the future. It is not just about how high you jump. Single best thing I ever did for my riding was spending a year with a USDF Silver medalist working on dressage with the jumping horses. Learned so much.

OP, I can see where you’re coming from, but you’re not putting in enough effort if that’s really where you want to be. I can off the bat think of 3 jumpers doing the 1.20+ that were most certainly bought for less than what you think it costs to lease one. You either need to look further than you have been, make compromises on age/ability, or be content with spending a few years on something green. A quick search on a website such as bigeq will turn up a bunch of greener horses, jumpers and hunters, able to do that height. I personally place quality over height, which is why I’m still on my green OTTB doing children’s hunters instead of juniors. He has the potential to be something great, so I’m spending the time making him get there, despite only having a single junior year left.

You know what? I have seen grand prix riders working their horses over ground poles. I thought it was only men who were hung up on measurements. You can’t really love something if you are going to quit it because you can’t do it at the top. You don’t say I am going to stop wearing clothes because I can’t afford Burberry. You clothe yourself at Goodwill if you have to. Same as horses, you volunteer at a horse rescue just to smell their scent if that is what you love. I think you love the limelight and want to quit because you can’t have it to yourself.

1 Like

[QUOTE=huntr_eq_blonde;7549822]
I appreciate what you all are saying. I didn’t mean to come off as having a pity party. These are simply my honest feelings and experiences that I wrote down as a cathartic way to express what I just went through.

As far as bringing horses along, I leased two green horses that I brought along and trained or re-trained. (If you remember me mentioning earlier, I rode a lot of horses or ponies that no one else wanted to because I was desperate to ride. After almost 9 years of doing that, I finally wanted a nice horse for me to progress on and finally focus on me. That’s not a crime, is it?) And for me, it wasn’t that satisfying bringing those horses along because I always got used and someone else (the owners) benefitted from it. Yes, I learned how to work through problems and ride tough horses, but it also gave me bad habits and made me more defensive.

And as far as people saying I’m a ribbon-hunter and just want to show all the time, I can count on one hand the number of shows I’ve been to in 18 years of riding. I will admit, as others might as well, that it is nice to show occasionally to see how you stack up against other people and show off your training. But if I were just in it for showing, I would’ve quit ages ago.

And I am grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had. Horses have helped me through my continuing 9 year health struggle. When nothing was and still is going right with my health, I had horses to look forward to. But it has become frustrating that I can’t progress further, and coupled with my equally frustrating, unsolved health problems which have kept me from continuing college, it has become too much emotionally to handle, which is why I quit riding.[/QUOTE]

So buy an OTTB, train it yourself, and do a little showing. If you are talented enough that you have people leasing you 4’ jumpers, then surely you can spend 1500, and make up your own jumper.
It almost sounds like you are upset that people aren’t giving you 4’ (plus) jumpers to show at their expense. That isn’t going to happen unless you are already at the top of the sport.

I am sorry, but it is ridiculous to say that to get better you need to jump higher. Nobody steps off one horse jumping 4’ and then gets the next horse and starts jumping 4’3 off the bat. Do what the rest of us do and get the next horse and learn whatever it is that horse has to teach you.

You get better by riding more and more difficult horses with more precision and mindfulness, not by jumping bigger fences.

If you want to give up that is fine. If there is no joy in riding for you if you can’t jump more than 4’, you might as well. On the other hand, if you were just having a bad day when you posted this, shake it off and get back out there. There are a lot of us out there doing more with less than you, and doing very well. You will be fine. We all have down days.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7549952]
Same as horses, you volunteer at a horse rescue just to smell their scent if that is what you love. I think you love the limelight and want to quit because you can’t have it to yourself.[/QUOTE]

I did volunteer at a therapeutic riding center for 2-3 years. I poured my heart into helping the director when she was building a new barn. For fun, I cleaned heaps of bridles and saddles, organized the tack room, and my family donated $$ to this cause. I bathed and braided 7 horses each year for the barn’s annual horse show because it was the only time these children were able to dress up and receive awards and I wanted it to be special for them. I loved volunteering there because I could be around horses and help children who were so, so much worse off health wise than myself. I exercised (WTC) the horses for the director during the winter months. In the end, I wound up getting used. I always give too much of myself, and it bites me in the ass.

How DARE you say I love the limelight. You sound very bitter.

And I said that I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been to local “C” rated shows…if I was so interested in the limelight, I’d be showing all the time, with no care in the world as to how my horse looked or what my riding skills were.

And to everyone saying get an OTTB or green horse, I can’t afford to buy a horse, let alone a cheap one. It’s the training, the boarding, the vet, the farrier, etc. All those never-ending costs of being a horse owner. Plus, God-willing, when I do go back to school, I would have a horse that I may or may not be able to sell. That’s the beauty of leasing. If something happens with my health, I’m not locked in. It would be irresponsible on my part to do that to a horse.

Ah, OP, you are the age of my daughters. I will kindly and gently tell you that your sense of entitlement smacked me in the face when I read your post and it is something that needs to be checked at the door. It sounds as though you are talented and can ride anything. So I, too, suggest getting a horse you can make up and sell and take that money and invest in another one you can make up and sell. Eventually you will have your ideal of a dream horse and you will be richer and wiser and more appreciative when you get it.

I own that dream horse that is an expensive, imported WB and can do 4’ no prep and wins at the hack every time. I was not 23 when I bought him. I was 53. I worked my butt off in an ER for 30 years to get where I am today. No one gave him to me. And I don’t ride him as I am disabled, but I have the joy, pleasure, and thrill of watching him go. He takes my breath away. I appreciate having him because I dreamed of him for 50 years.

It will come if you want it badly enough. Hang in there and reshape your thought process. Hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

If you really loved it, you’d settle for what you could realistically have. “Jumping 4ft” doesn’t mean jack.

[QUOTE=fourfillies;7549766]
I’ll put on my flame suit and echo the OP. Riding in the big leagues of the H/J world is the realm of the 1%ers. QUOTE]

I’m late to the dance as I have been watching Rolex. Fact is, that yes, riding at the elite levels of the sport (above the 4’) is the realm of the very wealthy if you want to compete and are not very well connected or living near to a BNT willing to give you a shot. That said, in response to the OP:
If you are willing to give up riding all together because at 24 you are unable to realize your next goal of competing at over 4’, due to money, then you are dedicated more to competing than to riding.
You are able to negotiate a course on a new horse at a height most riders never attain. In terms of riders, you are the 1%. Most of us have never done a 4’ fence much less a course. Many of us are marooned at 2’6 because we cannot afford a 3’ horse. If you are a solid rider at 4’, it would seem that you should be able to find rides, though not always those you’d love to ride. Since most HORSES don’t attain that level of jumping skill/training, they probably won’t jump that high.
Why not acquire a cheap prospect and see what you can make of him? TB’s can be had relatively cheap and if you have a good eye for an athlete you should be able to find one (or a decent grade horse) that could get you around 4’ with time.
You need to decide if riding is more important to you that ‘competing at 4’+." If it is, then ride. If not, then it probably wasn’t really your thing after all.

(If this post sounds bitter, I’m sorry. I’m touchy about money having lost my job last fall and watching my unemployment run out.)

[QUOTE=Zuri;7550001]

I own that dream horse that is an expensive, imported WB and can do 4’ no prep and wins at the hack every time. I was not 23 when I bought him. I was 53. I worked my butt off in an ER for 30 years to get where I am today. No one gave him to me. And I don’t ride him as I am disabled, but I have the joy, pleasure, and thrill of watching him go. He takes my breath away. I appreciate having him because I dreamed of him for 50 years.

It will come if you want it badly enough. [/QUOTE]

This ^ is how it’s supposed to be. I can’t wait to be a distinguished woman with a successful career and be able to go on a buying trip to Europe and import a horse. I hope in 30 years that happens for me. Until then, I’m happy where I am :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have great rides today, but I’m older than you, and have always been employed. When I couldn’t afford the costs of my own (a bit younger than you), I started hacking a friend’s two green horses just to get some barn time. I’d ride pretty much anything and everything.

Those two green horses turned us into essentially partners. We now run the barn together. Both went in the 3’6" and did well and I brought them along. I’ve had more opportunities riding other people’s horses than I have my own - leasing is NOT the only option.

It wasn’t until I brought those two along and had somewhat proven myself as “not going to ruin your horse completely” did someone offer me a 4’ horse for a while while she was injured.

I paid for training and showing, but the rest we did out of the back yard that we rent. The average person can’t expect to be at the upper echelons of the sport at 24 in this economy. They’ll have to put in the time, fix the holes, find something to bring along, and perhaps eventually, when things are more secure, get out there a bit more.

It’s not the same sport it used to be. You can’t change that. All most of us can do is start from scratch and work our way up.

[QUOTE=huntr_eq_blonde;7549987]
How DARE you say I love the limelight. You sound very bitter.[/QUOTE]
And you sound small minded when you reduce yourself to a stupid comeback like that.

18 years? Honey, I had been in the sport in one discipline or another for more than 50 years when my talented, adorable horse went lame. At this stage of the game I had absolutely no money to buy another horse, or even do a full lease, as I was (and still am) supporting my permanently lame horse. Guess what? I have half-leased several horses that were nut cases, plugs, problem horses, etc., because I do love this sport and plan to keep riding even if it means I won’t make it to the FEI levels like I thought I would. I shed some tears when it became reality that my horse was done, but I picked myself up and rode what I could. If you really, truly love this sort, you will find a way to ride.

1 Like

It’s a shame that you can’t pursue the OTTB route.

Theres a lady at my barn (late 30s-early 40s) who purchased a scrawny 15.1hh gelding off the track to make up as a jumper. Now, he’s quite a fancy guy (excellent condition, beautiful mover and basically a unicorn) and they are competing in and winning the 1.40s (4’6). It took her several years and lots of time and TLC, but she made up her trackie project on a budget.

And today, she’s the most sought after and talented rider in the barn. She does everything for free to protect her ammy status, and she brings out the best in every horse she gets on. Without a doubt, bringing along her OTTB shaped her into the really, really good rider she is today

1 Like

What do I have to be bitter about? I have more blessings in my life than I could ever ask for and am not quitting anything. You are the self proclaimed quitter.

In your original post you asked how people make it work, we are the same age so I will let you know how I’ve managed to do things. This is what worked for me, and won’t necessarily work for you but you did ask. First of all, I’ve worked two jobs at a time since I was old enough to work. None of them have been fabulous career like jobs where I make a ton of money either. I save as much as I can and pay the bills that need to be paid. I don’t have a fancy phone and I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought new clothes. I try not to eat out or spend any money that needs to be spent. I did go to University and get a degree, due to my own health problems it took me 2 years longer then it should have but I did finish. My parents helped me a bit with school which I am forever grateful, but I did pay for the majority of it from money I had saved. While I was going to school (because this was such a great idea - please note sarcasm) I bought a super cheap pony. He had been lightly started so I didn’t have to completely start him but I kept him for two years and rode him and trained him up and sold him for a mid four figure price. I kept the pony at a self care facility where I spent about $250 a month on board and they fed and gave him water and I cleaned the paddock. Nothing fancy but he was well taken care of and I had a ring to ride him in. No indoor though, so winters were fun with snow and wind but I still rode. My mom has a truck and we got a cheap used trailer and we hauled to a few local schooling shows with the pony and met up with my coach for lessons maybe once a month or so, more if I had a bit of extra cash which I didn’t usually.

After I sold the pony I started looking around for another project. I tried about 6 different horses that would be suitable to bring along and move up on and eventually decided on the horse I currently have. He was 3, un-started, BIG, immature, and a bit of a trouble maker but he had to most potential out of any of the horses I saw that were anywhere near my budget. I had to get someone help me get him going a bit but I paid for a week of training and the trainer showed me how to do some things and away we went. It’s been a long process and he’s now turning 7 but if I play my cards right then he will easily be a 4ft horse. Scope is not issue for him. And I paid under 8k. I’m not saying that it was easy, because it wasn’t. It wasn’t always fun either. However I learnt a bunch that I didn’t even know I needed to learn and I’m still learning.

As for showing, I go to maybe 2-3 “big away” shows a year when I’m actually showing. Which I haven’t been since my horse has been very slow maturing. If there are local schooling shows, I try to go to those as well. Clinics when I can are also great. This one lives out in a field with several other horses and a round bale, board is about $300 a month and I can work some of it off if I have time. I don’t do lessons or board anywhere else in the winter and I save a lot of money that way. I take him to lessons every couple of weeks when I can. I like showing and all, but I love learning. I take dressage and jumping lessons from two really great coaches and it’s really helped me improve a lot.

You seem a bit lost and very frustrated, which I get. Being sick really sucks and that’s not going to help your motivation any either. Maybe you do need a break, take some time to take care of yourself for awhile and hopefully your health issues will be over with soon.

I’ve been on that side of the fence too, being frustrated with the girl that gets the really nice horse and doesn’t have to work for it. It’s not a good feeling, and dwelling on it isn’t actually going to make you feel any better. if you want this badly enough, then you have to make it happen for yourself. You just have to, you don’t have a choice. You’re going to have to work your butt off a lot harder then a chunk of the people you’re showing against but that’s just the way it is. You can let it beat you down and depress you, or you can let it motivate you and build you up.

So basically, take a break if you need to - there’s nothing wrong with that. Get healthier, even if it will take time. Go to school and get the job you want and then find a horse to buy, even if it’s a cheaper horse that won’t get you to where you want to be, it’s just a stepping stone. Train it up the best you can, board at a cheaper facility that still has good care, and then sell it and buy something a little bit nicer. Rinse, repeat. When you are healthy enough to do so, I would also suggest just getting a job in the mean time. Any job. Walmart, mcdonalds, retail at the mall. Who cares!! Just get a job so you can keep putting a little bit of money aside, every little bit helps! Also take a good hard look at what you spend money on, I’m not saying it’s a problem for you but I don’t know. Don’t buy things you don’t need. Don’t eat out. Go to the library instead of buying books or magazines. (Just some examples)

It’s possible but it’s a long hard road so you’re going to have to decide if you want it badly enough or not.

1 Like

While I know how difficult is to be limited by finances, I think, based on what you have said, it would be a shame for you to stop altogether. Yes, riding is driven by money and certain areas are worse than others for this, and definitely if you are going to make it to the very top, you need financial backing … but if you truly have the talent, you are still so lucky. Struggling riders are no different from the many struggling actors who barely scrape a living for years, possibly decades, before they get a big break, because they don’t have any connections or easy way in (for connections read money, as my analogy applies to horses). Some get that break, and some don’t. Such is life, and such is the h/j world. It’s not fair. Not everyone can win. It doesn’t mean you have to quit. Keep fighting, keep trying, keep going, because you never know what else will come your way.

I realize people on an online forum will have little to no real effect on your feelings and decision, but if I were you, I would not quit. Maybe that is just me - maybe you are smarter and know when to fold. But you clearly have passion so much that it’s making you heartsick. Seems like you’d be even more miserable if you give it up altogether.

I’m of a similar age to you, and I often worry about how I’m going to afford what I want to do horse-wise in the future, in order to improve and progress, and it sometimes makes me terribly upset knowing that there is always going to be that money-colored glass ceiling above which I will never rise. However, I can’t stop. Those are my only options: make the best of my circumstances or give it all up. Maybe it’s stupid, but I can’t stop. I am miserable without horses, and I’m currently on a break from showing, and I miss it so so much. But I can’t stop riding, I can’t stop horses. My horse keeps me sane, and even riding him twice a month is better than never riding at all.

You have put so many years and so much work into your riding, and it would be a shame for you to stop altogether. Perhaps take a break, and you will realize what horses truly mean to your life, above and beyond the financial issue. You’ll either dig down deep and decide to push on through the hardship and unfairness, or you’ll really quit and move on with your life. Both are fine options.

I don’t think it’s time to throw in the towel… but maybe changing your goals for the time being is the better option.

I sympathize with you when it comes to health concerns. I also have health issues that have forced me to drop out of school (same age as you). I’ve been having trouble finding a real job… right now I work at a local lesson barn and do pt at a tack shop for a friend. Even if I could find a real job, I probably couldn’t hold it down. I shouldn’t even be riding. Period.

After my diagnosis, I significantly cut back on jumping and started focusing more on dressage. I’ve had the opportunity to work with two WONDERFUL clinicians, and a student of theirs has taken me on as a once-a-week student. I’ve learned far more in the year I’ve been doing dressage than in the many years I’ve been jumping.

Just last weekend, I got a free lease on a lovely, young Hanoverian mare that has shown 3rd level, and jumps, yes, 4ft. How? Connections. The owner decided she’d rather focus on showing her Morgan, and sent the mare to me. While I think my situation is the exception and not the rule, it’s proof that it is possible. They are out there.

I don’t have money to show. Or board. Or do consistent lessons (4 a month is pushing it). Local schooling shows put a pretty sizable dent in my checkbook. My parents put a lot of money towards my horses for feed and health care, and I am very lucky.

If you really want to ride, you will find a way. It may just take some time.

I can honestly say that if I found out I could never ride again, it would not lesson my enjoyment of the hobby very much. Some, yes, of course; but it would certainly not ruin it for me.

I could not have said that at 24.

But now that I am in my 50s, there’s just so much more to loving horses than riding, never mind showing.