Unlimited access >

The Stomatitis Train Continues On

Poor uncle Milo deserves some sort of an award for being one of the rare number of cats who have such persistent Stomatitis that even a near-full extraction did not provide lasting relief.

Poor guy has a whooping 2 teeth left after his surgery last August, and unfortunately he has slowly been showing signs of pain again - so back to the vet he went. Dr. was surprised at how bad his mouth was. X-rays confirmed that there were no dental fragments, and that there was no bone loss. We biopsied just to make sure oral cancer was not at play here, and results came back today that its not cancer - just a blue ribbon case of gnarly stomatitis.

My poor guy. He’s going to be 6 in May, so he has plenty of runway left. The Onsior and the shot of anitbiotics from the recent checkup really helped him, but those are just short-term fixes. We are going to start a steroid treatment and check back in 3 weeks to see how he is doing on it. Anyone have any long-term success stories of living with Stomatitis?

Milo using Mr. BatCoach’s elbow for emotional support.
milo arm

11 Likes

No experience to share.
But I had a shelter cat who had no teeth at all when I got him.
He also had a cauliflower ear, DH named him Dempsey.
He’d been a stray in the city so long shelter vet said there was nothing left to save when he was brought in :crying_cat_face:
Never had a problem eating kibble in the almost 10yrs we had him.
Finally succumbed to a tumor in his stomach.

Maybe the stress of running all his businesses led to Milo’s problem?
He is the former propietor of the Taco Truck, et al, is he not?

1 Like

Yes, Milo is a serial entrepreneur and investor in small businesses. He built his empire on the model of using foster kitten labor to run his shops. After the taco truck (literally) collapsed, he opened a diner and a TV station. He then made a brief foray into the transportation industry with a Christmas locomotive. However, he has been enjoying an early retirement while Gemma (his protege) takes over the reins and runs their newest business - an Ice Cream Truck.

milo and gemma truck

milo train
gemma ice cream

12 Likes

Actual footage of milo using child labor.

15 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy_cat:
Not all kittens need college.
A good trade school education is priceless :smirk_cat:

Stomatitis usually (not always) improves a lot once all the teeth are removed. Even having only a few teeth can be irritating enough to the cat’s body that the stomatitis can flare. They usually do really well after their teeth are removed and get back to normal in no time. Best wishes for Milo!

That is what I have heard as well. I asked the vet if she thought that removing his two remaining teeth would be helpful and she feels that they are not problematic. She’s the vet who did the extraction, and has been his regular vet, so I’m inclined to trust her on this. She thinks that he is the rare case where extraction was not enough so we will be looking into long term treatment starting with steriods.

Nic was doing GREAT on his full extraction last spring and then some sort of flare-up in January. Drooling, stopped eating and hid all day. Took him to regular vet who ran tests and found nothing. Vet consulted with his dentist. Recovered, got good three-month checkup at dentist. Back to normal, sweet, zoomies, good appetite. Dentist advised that in some FIV cases there may be other immunity issues in progress. Nothing diagnosed. Continue with Buprenorphine 2x day.

This week, another set-back. No appetite, sleeping all day under the couch. Very quiet stable house with one other cat who he loves and birdfeeders he monitors. It’s a bumpy road and very distressing. Turned six last month.

Jingles for Uncle Milo.

2 Likes

Jingles for Nic too! The steroids are helping, but its only been a few days to so I don’t want to let my guard down just yet.

1 Like

Jingles for both!

When I had to have Ollie in for his stomatitis issues the vet put him on a course of steroids that were injected at office at certain intervals. I forget what those were but it went on for at least 3 months from start to being weaned off. He had to have that repeated one other time and then he never had another problem with it. He was also FIV positive.

There is hope! And I will keep jingling til then!!!

1 Like

So how is Mr Nic doing?

He’s still practicing how how to make me insane, and spend money. After a week of hiding and not eating, he’s back to living his best life, demanding too. I did not think that he would make it this time but he keeps on a tickin Oh yeah, and all the special foods. Nope, back to (DEMANDING) canned Friskies.

2 Likes

oh brother - he makes me laugh. I am glad he made it, even if it is to make you his slave and issue constant demands.

Nic you rascal! At least he has inexpensive taste. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like