Therapeutic Horseback Riding Needs a Big Event!

Therapeutic Horseback Riding doesn’t have a big event like horse racing, dressage, and eventing; therapeutic horse riding needs a big event for it to be put on the map. Most therapeutic horse riding stables have their own shows in their own states including mine (Ride On Therapeutic Horsemanship), but we never get to compete together in a big show.

No one will have to sleep in dorms in this competition like the Special Olympics because some athletes are not able to sleep away from caregivers or parents; they will be able to chose where they want to sleep.

The horse show should not be a traditional horse show; it should be more like a gymkhana. It could take place at three different areas with all one different event. The winner of all three will receive a trophy and something else.

I have a petition that I will send to PATH International; it is at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/319/851/286/therapeutic-horseback-riding-needs-a-big-event-like-the-triple-crown/.

My state has therapeutic classes at several shows including a dressage farm that has a high point specifically for therapeutic students. Pretty cool!

https://www.usef.org/_iframes/breedsdisciplines/discipline/allpara.aspx

Big events like that need big bucks. And many therapeutic horsemanship centers rely on volunteers to feed, groom, tack up, side-walk, etc. You can’t expect volunteers to just be able to take time off from their paying jobs to go out of area, out of state, etc., to some regional or bigger event. When you add in the cost of transporting the therapy horses and any equipages, finding people willing and/or able to donate their rigs, and fuel, to get everyone to the distant event … where are you going to find sponsors to foot the bill?

It would be nice, but realistically therapeutic horsemanship isn’t in the same financial bracket as racing and upper-level eventing.

The local therapeutic center I have known does its own events and sponsors at least one bigger local/area event, but there is a limit to what you can do with a mostly volunteer crew.

You say competitors will be able to choose where they want to sleep. Who’s going to pay for it? And the food? These are not professional riders with big-name sponsors. They are usually the kids of parents who have other kids, other responsibilities, and may even depend on scholarships to get to ride at all. Do you expect them to just drop everything and spend hundreds of dollars to travel to a stressful big event?

What “map” do you want it to be put on, exactly? My local map shows three therapeutic programs; my previous area had one local center and a couple more within about an hour of that one. What more map do you want?

Your idea is nice in theory, but I think you need to look at ideas to make it practicable for most wannabe participants.

There have been various efforts over the years to do something like this, but it always comes back to money. I had the opportunity to participate as a coach and groom at NARHA nationals (back when it was NARHA, before PATH) and it was an amazing experience - but the logistics and cost were more than a very small group of programs or individuals could consider. But call me when you get that bazillion dollar grant, and I’ll come volunteer again!

Sounds like a great idea, Dressagegirl!

I have just a couple of questions. Where will the event be held? Does the venue have mounting platforms with ramps for the riders? Are the grounds level enough to be traveled by wheelchair and people on crutches? Do they have accessible rest rooms that meet federal guidelines?

I actually know of one therapeutic riding center that has only a portapotty. How it stays in business I have no idea!

Will the venue facility donate their arena and stabling for the event? If not, who will pay for stall rentals for the day (and since you mention sleeping away from home, for the nights?).

What about the volunteers needed by each therapeutic center? Will there be grants for their regular volunteers, who know their riders and horses, to take time off from work to travel so that they can feed, groom, tack up, side-walk, lead, and all the other things they do at their home centers? Will there be any reimbursement for their time, travel, and overnight accommodation?

You say the participants can choose where they want to sleep. Will there be accessible lodging near the venue? Who will pay for the rooms? The parents of the competitors? What about their families, brothers and sisters left at home? Will childcare be provided for them while the parents are away at the show with the competitors?

What about finding volunteers willing and able to lend their rigs to the centers to haul the horses and any equipages? (Not all therapeutic horsemanship is ridden, some is driven.) Who will pay them for the fuel?

Just a few questions you might want to consider to make your idea practicable. Remember that therapeutic horsemanship is not in the same financial bracket as racing and upper-level eventing. Do you have any corporate sponsors lined up to lend their names and donate financial backing to the venue, the riders, the volunteers, the judges, the organizers?

I would think something more inclusive of different levels/ disciplines like pony club championships might be a better model? I can’t see too many people being able to haul all over the country for 3 events in 3 months.

I changed my idea to be more like the Pony Club Championships. My petition is also edited.

Therapeutic riding isn’t a riding discipline - it’s for people with special needs to receive therapy with equine-assistance. Therapeutic riding is not about learning to ride a particular discipline while having a physical limitation.

What you’re looking for are para-equestrian disciplines. PATH is not appropriate for that. You should contact the United States Para-Equestrian Association (USPEA) http://uspea.org/ if you’re trying to get involved with horseshowing for those with physical limitations.

[QUOTE=DancingArabian;8190903]
Therapeutic riding isn’t a riding discipline - it’s for people with special needs to receive therapy with equine-assistance. Therapeutic riding is not about learning to ride a particular discipline while having a physical limitation.

What you’re looking for are para-equestrian disciplines. PATH is not appropriate for that. You should contact the United States Para-Equestrian Association (USPEA) http://uspea.org/ if you’re trying to get involved with horseshowing for those with physical limitations.[/QUOTE]

Therapeutic riding is not therapy, it is riding. I prefer to call it adaptive riding. It is adapting the type of riding for individuals with a variety of needs.

It is not therapy. Hippotherapy on the other hand is therapy, it is a intervention strategy using equine movement performed by an occupation, physical, or speech therapist.

I do think there are wonderful opportunities to get involved in showing even at the lower levels. You do not have to do paradressage at the FEI level, you can get classified and then show with compensations at local dressage shows. The same is emerging in the para-reining world. Special olympics is a good avenue for non-physical disabilities. I know of a variety of non-rated horse shows that also have classes for riders with disabilities. It just involves a lot of exploring to find the right situation for each rider.

I have always wanted to set up IHSA-style showing for a group of therapeutic riding centers. Eliminate the cost/stress of shipping horses, and just bring a group of riders to a show where the host center provides all of the horses. I would love to have a group of three centers have a show series, where each center hosts one show. Eventually we’ll get there!