Therapeutic Riding in MA area and some general ?s

Hi All,

I am hoping someone here can help put me in touch with some TR programs in or around the eastern MA area (would prefer 1-2 hr drive). I am looking to place a fantastic horse who I think would really excel at the job to an interested facility. Of course we all have heard the horror stories but I know of a lot of great places as well. Since I didn’t grow up in the area, I am not sure what places are reputable around me. Any suggestions are welcome!

Secondly the horse in question is 15.3 maybe 16 hands. I know most programs prefer a shorter horse to walk next to. Do any programs accept taller horses? He fits every other criteria (tolerant, begginer safe, bomproof, etc).

Thanks in advance!

There is Lovelane in Weston. http://www.lovelane.org/ I believe it is well-regarded.

The center I work at has everything from tiny ponies to tall warmblood-types. Mind you, the center gives regular riding lessons as well, but that’s beside the point. I would talk to the center(s) itself – find out what they’re looking for. We have several students who don’t need sidewalkers, and therefore could ride a taller horse…it’s all in the clientele!

Sent you a pm. I know of two great places. If you go for a NARHA Program, look for a Premiere Accredited Program. To receive that designation, the program must undergo an intense inspection from a NARHA inspector which includes written documentation about the care of the horses.

Check the NARHA site

http://www.narha.org/Centers/FindCenter2.asp

They have a nifty tool to locate NARHA accredited sites state by state. Depending on the program they may have a need for a larger horse. I taught a lot of kids who were able to ride independently and a larger horse was great. We even had some kids to progressed to jumping! Special Olympics may also have a need. They hold great shows here in NJ, but they usually work through riding centers. I would expect a program to request a rather long trial period…are you willing to do that?

I second the suggestion to look for a NARHA premiere accredited site as those are the only centers that receive a site visit.

Annual site visits!! From program documentation to horse care and fencing condition. It is quite the long list to be an accredited NARHA site.

Thanks all for the great leads and advice so far. I am very excited at the prospect of my boy having a job again and being able to help others! It appears there are several Premiere Accredited programs in my area so I will definitely be contacting them. Additional reccomendations are welcome! Feel free to PM me if you aren’t confortable posting :slight_smile:

Equest Therapeutic Riding Center in Lyman, Maine