TheraPlate- thoughts and experiences

Staying Away From It

[QUOTE=RAyers;7088786]
This is another quick fix scheme to make money (similar to what was being sold by vets - KESMARC - in FL about hyperbaric oxygen until the chamber exploded, killing the horse and an operator).

I was involved with the NASA work 20 years ago. There is a reason the technology never was applied, it only works in very specific cases and instances. I know many here will chime in with anecdotes, however, the medical and scientific literature tells a very different story. For example, the vibration rates touted by the manufacturer has little effect on bone and tendon. We found that low frequencies (20Hz) can help bone mass and tendon thickness but there has to be shock loading involved. Otherwise it is no different than trying to leg up a horse tooling around a groomed arena.

There is absolutely no evidence that this can help with cartilage, etc. When a company promises the list they present (over 28 things listed on the website) it becomes apparent that they have no idea how or why or if their device works. The company is simply trying to sell snake oil. And their list of literature, is limited with all the studies listed stating that WBV is only effective if used in conjunction with conventional therapies. None prove the bone mineral density claim made by the manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

sigh of relief THANK YOU! There is definitely not enough science behind these for me to ever want my horse on one, much less purchase one. People have gotten very angry when I’ve said that to them, but then people don’t like having their “miracle cure” shot down.

2 Likes

Bump

Another possibly helpful literature review on this product here: http://www.doctorramey.com/shake-rattle-roll/

I have a bone spur in my heel and my human theraplate really makes me feel better. Can someone explain how that would be different for a horse? It seems like it would be useful for things like navicular or horsey bone spurs…

I love mine- I bought it because of some hoof/navicular type issues, and now just use it because my horse likes it. My horse takes less time to warm up, minor injuries seem to heal quicker, hooves grow faster, and it’s a great way to bump the circulation in a horse that’s on stall rest- you get all the benefits of a brief hand walk, while you just park them on the plate and go muck stalls or something.

I consulted a physiotherapist when I was looking at similar products. Her advice was the Equivibe platform has a greater therapeutic benefit for bone issues, but it’s easy to over-do the Equivibe, where you can’t hurt them with the TheraPlate so it’s more average-user friendly.

[QUOTE=specifiedcupcake;8896814]
I love mine- I bought it because of some hoof/navicular type issues, and now just use it because my horse likes it. My horse takes less time to warm up, minor injuries seem to heal quicker, hooves grow faster, and it’s a great way to bump the circulation in a horse that’s on stall rest- you get all the benefits of a brief hand walk, while you just park them on the plate and go muck stalls or something.

I consulted a physiotherapist when I was looking at similar products. Her advice was the Equivibe platform has a greater therapeutic benefit for bone issues, but it’s easy to over-do the Equivibe, where you can’t hurt them with the TheraPlate so it’s more average-user friendly.[/QUOTE]

Ooh that’s really interesting! Do you know why one can be overdone and the other cant? I have been thinking about adding one to my barn this Christmas! :slight_smile:

I have a friend selling Theraplates and she is very good with giving them for trial periods. I admit I have not done it yet, but I am considering it

I think people would be much better off just getting a hotwalker if they need the benefits of exercise without actually doing anything themselves. Or just (novel concept, I know) provide their show horses with more turnout.

5 Likes

[QUOTE=fordtraktor;8897147]
I think people would be much better off just getting a hotwalker if they need the benefits of exercise without actually doing anything themselves. Or just (novel concept, I know) provide their show horses with more turnout.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think they are supposed to be used for excersize. I think they are aimed more for pain relief?

Vibration therapy is a real, valid technique that has most recently been studied in relation to osteoporosis (typically in mice with the endpoint for people, there are no studies in horses that I could find). Glancing at the theraplate site, there has been no scientific studies to support the claims, particularly in large animals. They are possibly try to (erroneously) extrapolate data from some legitimate studies.

That being said, I had a horse at a rehab facility that, in addition to swimming treadmill, did use the plate. I do not attribute her recovery to use of the plate, but to good old fashion rehab, rest and vet treatments.

So I am not opposed to the vibration plate, but I doubt that it produces the effects the manufacturer claims.

interesting thread. how does this compare to magna waving? or is it something totally different.

[QUOTE=Ridergirl99;8903998]
interesting thread. how does this compare to magna waving? or is it something totally different.[/QUOTE]

I believe that is PEMF therapy, which COTH has recently educated me about. It uses electricity/magnets to cause muscles to contract. It’s more like a massage.

I am trying to rationalize how a Thera plate could benefit a horse? Logically it does not make sense to me?

[QUOTE=HuntRider;8897809]
I don’t think they are supposed to be used for excersize. I think they are aimed more for pain relief?[/QUOTE]

well there’s no evidence they do anything for pain relief. the only benefits with any research behind them as far as I can tell indicate that they model the benefits of long, slow exercise on relatively hardish footing. IMO it would be better to actually have the horse do the long, slow exercise. that is why I suggested that hooking it up to a hot walker and letting it walk would be a better use of the time and money since then the horse would have the aerobic benefit of walking as well.

I once saw a hotwalker on concrete at a European barn. At the time I thought that was totally crazy but maybe not based on Reed’s post about shock loading being necessary.

But I am sure I’d see improvement in my horse too if I spent $6k on a Theraplate.

Well it definitely provides pain relief for me. I would think it would for horses with lower bony injuries too but since I can’t ask them I guess we will never know :slight_smile:

Take this with a grain of salt, but I’ve had a ton of injuries and standing on a theraplate did NOT feel good to me at all.

[QUOTE=HuntRider;8897102]
Ooh that’s really interesting! Do you know why one can be overdone and the other cant? I have been thinking about adding one to my barn this Christmas! :)[/QUOTE]

It has to do with the direction of the vibration. The Equivibe is vertical concussive which provides a higher impact, stimulating bone remodeling, but overdone (like more than once or twice a week) stifles/shuts down osteoblastic material. But the therapist had a great set of ultrasounds on a horse with an OCD lesion in his stifle that dissolved over a period of four months with Equivibe treatment twice a week paired with swim therapy.

Does anyone have a used theraplate they are interested in selling?

I know this is an old thread but I’ve been digging around because I’m thinking of doing the free three week trial. Which has me asking, has anyone done that free trial and NOT bought the Theraplate?

The trainer I worked for in CA had one. She ran a rehab barn and rides UL dressage. She would put her UL horse and her retired schoolmaster on it every day, minimum once, and I believed it helped. I rode the schoolmaster regularly and he was always more limber on the days I rode after his session. My horses went on it as well and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In direct response to the post I’ve quoted, I have actually seen radiographs of hock joints “before” and “after” starting regular Theraplate sessions. Before the hocks had active arthritis and were causing discomfort. Six months later (no injections or supplements) after being put on the Theraplate every day the arthritis was no longer active and the horse was significantly more comfortable. Nothing in the horse’s routine had changed other than the addition of the Theraplate.

Beware!! Vibration is known to break down cartilage and cartilage doesn’t grow back!!

1 Like