Unlimited access >

They hay buffet

Assuming the horse is in good weight:

If she buys the hay, it’s not your worry unless wastage is causing a cleanup issue, is which case I’d ask her to put it all in a slow feed net to minimize the problem.

If it’s your hay? Absolutely tell her to knock it off. With the cost of hay up, and going to go UP UP, you can not allow this to happen without taking a loss. For two stringers: assume 1 bale every two days, 30 days in a month, that’s 15 bales of extra hay. Let’s say you’re paying $9 a bale, that’s $135 flying out of the BO’s pocket every month.

Guys. Please. This is one of many reasons why boarding barns are closing down. If the horse is well fed, 4 feedings a day, the horse owner is just being a wasteful jerk. The BO is not obligated to provide, free of additional charge, 15 (!!) extra bales of hay a month to SuzieQ’s horse because she wants it. Also, how is the BO supposed to know when to get another load of hay when people are running amok feeding extra? This isn’t Disney World, it’s a business.

No, no, and no. There needs to be rules, guidelines, and $$ on the line if this boarder wants to do this. She can either pay for the extra hay, buy her own, or knock it off.

8 Likes

I agree that can be an issue. If I overfeed hay in stalls my horses use it as bedding. Then I have to clean it up. So it’s a double waste - food not eaten, and my time to clean it up.

I don’t care so much in the pasture as I don’t typically clean it up if there is leftover, but yes, it adds up moneywise, and doesn’t always look nice. Especially if everyone uses it as a pee spot.

I started to type something similar @endlessclimb, but you said it better. I agree with your response completely.

2 Likes

Sure. Which is why my suggestion was to have a discussion where HO can clarify why she’s feeding extra hay and BO can clarify why she has an objection. They can discuss the matter like adults and the BO can lay out any rules she sees fit.

That’s a great suggestion. Lay out the options for the HO, pending of course those are acceptable to the BO

I’ve actually been piling wasted hay in my sacrifice paddock to try and tempt my horses to pee in certain spots. It’s easy enough to clean up with the rake on the tractor.

Sadly only one horse is cooperating with the idea of designated pee areas.

I would be very curious to hear more from OP.

Not saying this is the case, but things aren’t always what they seem. The lush pasture barn I mentioned before was a boarders nightmare. The BO had 15 or 16 stalls and maybe 2-4 of them were boarders; the rest were filled with old lesson/trail horses. BO ran a better business a few decades back when there was a young group of 4Hers, access to private trails which BO lost the privilege of using due to being disrespectful and not playing by the rules.

Long story short was that the small amount of boarders didn’t make up for their own personal horse related expenses in any significant way. All the horses suffered due to the BO not making much money in their non horse line of work. They often relied on handouts/steep discounts for things like hay. BO horses were all very ribby and very much looked like they needed groceries. I have heard both horse and non horse people say they have driven by and noticed how skinny the horses all were.

Due to all this, BO was hypersensitive when it came to what boarders thought were best for their horses and it seemed like it was taken as a personal attack. In all the cases I saw, the boarders were right to be concerned and left after their horses dropped weight due to not budging on things like hay. It was a big revolving door with boarders there as you might imagine.

In my example I could very much see how the boarder in the OP might react that way and why the BO wouldn’t be happy.

Definitely two sides to every story.

3 Likes

I keep my ponies at home but have boarded out as well.

At home my 4 guys are in a 4 acre grass paddock from about 4am-2pm and then I move them to a dirt lot with no hay until I bring them in. There is crappy grass that they nibble on in there and I usually bring in at 7-8pm. I literally give them a handful of hay and grain in the stalls and they all have leftovers by the morning. So they for sure rest and do not eat much during the night hours. So I’m pretty surprised that a horse could be on a lush pasture for the day and still eat flakes of hay! And my boys are all good weight - perhaps a little overweight now which is why I always move them early off of the pasture. In the winter when I have to feed hay, I split it up into 3 hay meals a day and if I put out too much, they waste it and pee on it. Drives me crazy!! So they for sure do not eat 24hr a day - even on grass or when on all hay for the winter months.

Now when I board out, I leave it up to the B/O to feed hay. There is a stall that has hay in it that I could go and get, but I respect her opinion and let her do the feeding. My guys have always had great treatment there and a good feeding program, so I never had a second thought that I had to go and get more hay. Plus if it were me in the B/O shoes, I wouldn’t want anyone grabbing extra hay unless they asked. What if all the boarders did this. They would be out of hay in no time! I don’t know when they fed last or when they are about to feed again, and hay wastage is the worst!!

Now if I had a skinny horse, I would discuss with the B/O to give some extra hay, but I would leave it up to them to do so.

Yep.

Definitely two sides to every story at least!

1 Like

Without OP chiming in it is anyone’s guess, isn’t it? I tend to think that even a pancake has three sides and there are parts of the story we aren’t privvy to and may never see. While some boarders are crazy or impossible to deal with, I found most in my life to be intelligent, reasonable women and I tend to side with them over BOs… even as a BO/BM myself!

It’s a nightmare being a boarder in so many places of the world - it’s exactly why I keep mine at home. I’ve been in a lot of barns and with the exception of those barns on the track, have genuinely never run into a barn that fed too much hay. Which is exactly why when I see posts like this I wonder about the other side of the pancake. Which is not to castigate OP - they are doing the thankless task of providing board for someone else’s horse, and we owe the BOs out there in the world a fair bit. That doesn’t mean that the boarder isn’t entitled to having a well-fed horse.

The above dependent on the boarding contract, but in general if a horse is skinny it is the responsibility of the barn owner to improve their body condition, not the boarder.

When you do the math like that, it can and does add up. I found that it was the labor costs that crept into things versus direct costs like feed or hay. I really hope OP isn’t paying $9 a bale.

We got our hay from Canada in bulk in my past life as a BM. We had a hay loft to store about a year’s worth of hay in and it averaged to about $3.75 a bale – but again, a year’s worth at a time. Not everyone has the storage space for that kind of hay so I do understand the smaller farms that have to only buy a month’s worth at a time. Even then if OP is siphoning out that kind of money she does need to get to the root of the issue: why does boarder feel her horse needs more hay? Then, address it. “No, crazy boarder, your horse is a BCS of 7 and he does not need an additional 2-3 flakes a day.” or “Alright, I see what you mean about him being ribby - let’s see how we can add a little weight to him without wasting hay.”

With rising costs of hay if the OP wants to keep boarder happy without the additional expense of adding hay, I’d consider talking to them about adding something like timothy pellets to the horse’s feed. That is, of course, if the boarder is reasonable and the horse is not overweight. I admit I paused at the OP’s comment about founder and how they insinuated the horse was at risk of founder if they ate too much hay… If this horse is at risk of a founder episode, he should be pulled from grass immediately among other things.

2 Likes

Assuming the BO feeds an adequate amount:

Even if the boarders horse is skinny, the cost of additional feed is on THEM, not the BO. I know some barns are not like this, but maybe they should be. “We feed XYZ for $$ a month. If you have a hard keeper or a 20hh clydesdale, the additional cost of upped feed is ABC, which includes [amount] more grain and [amount] more hay.”

It’s not the BO’s fault if this horse showed up skinny. It’s not the BO’s fault if this horse is a hard keeper. The BO set their costs up anticipating an average horse, eating an average amount of feed. If your horse is not average in size or metabolism, the horse owner needs to eat those costs.

One of my “favorite” boarding memories is the BO that talked about the horrors of founder. It was nothing more than an excuse to not feed adequate hay.

Particularly since it was here in the Deep South. Lotta things might founder a horse, but Bahaia hay is awful low on the list.

4 Likes

Right, but it’s an average which should account for horses that are easy keepers that need less no? To some extent?

So far, my BOs have not paid for anything my horse consumes other than hay. Cal Trace Plus, Flax, chia, beet pulp, and hay cubes add up for me over the course of a year. I don’t ask for any type of money off my board due it. At some point I’d think you run the risk of nickel and diming with boarders if you don’t factor in some variability with a barn full of boarder horses regarding what they eat.

2 Likes

I guess this is where our opinions diverge, but it depends on the BO’s boarding contract and whether it specifically states a cut-off on number of flakes/day.

(Note: this experience is NE coast specific) Most boarding barns have language in their contract that states that the barn owner is responsible in keeping the the horse in good or reasonable condition, and that all reasonable amounts of feed will be fed to the horse. Some contracts state how much that ‘reasonable amount’ is, but I’ve seen very few that have a hay cut off. Most will spell out the amount of grain to the pound - I’ve seen anywhere from 2lb to 10lb specified in a boarding contract.

I don’t think BO’s can have their cake and eat it too. They don’t refund boarders for the airfern pony boarder that only needs 3 flakes of hay a day and no grain. Costwise, that pony’s significant decrease in cost makes up for the hard keeper’s. The BO’s board rate should be set to cover both scenarios.

One thing I will take exception to is the geriatrics. The average boarding barn is just not set up to address the enormous feed requirements of some geriatrics. My QH being an example - I would expect, as a boarder, to have to pay for the additional grain he requires to keep good weight.

2 Likes

I disagree, though I’m sure some would think it’s nickel and diming. The fact is that many many horse owners wouldn’t know if Pookie was fat or skinny if their lives depended on it (look at people’s dogs, and how many of them are tremendously overweight). In order for a BO to keep costs low, they need to have predictable expenses. If someone’s hard keeper is eating 4x as much hay as everyone else, horse owner should have to pay for that.

I have a giant horse. I pay for one extra flake of hay per feeding. I also pay for all her supplements, beet pulp, and I supplement hay late in the evening in a slow feed net. If the BO had to do all that for me, he would be operating at a loss on the board fee. Should everyone have to pay for my gigantic horse?

Some BO’s, not in show settings, anticipate average sized easy keeper types. That’s how they set up their cost model. Just the fact that this BO is feeding 4x a day shows they aren’t a bare-bones type place.

1 Like

In that example though, I would expect a cut on my board due to having an easy keeper that isn’t cutting into any grain budgets. As long as that would be an option I wouldn’t have any gripes with someone who has a harder keeper that eats more than the average horse having to pay more.

We don’t know how much or the quality though. 4X a day doesn’t always mean exceptional care.

5 Likes

My BO does that. If you aren’t using barn grain, there is a discount. There are no hay discounts though, as no one gets less than the base amount. Horses are all fat, barring one who is a hard keeper (already getting more hay, more grain at HO’s expense, and HO will not step in to do more).

1 Like

well $30 per bale here (about $425/ton)… and the New cost with this runaway inflation is now $35.50/bale…$500/ton… this is a 31% increase since January 2022, 42% increase from Jan 2021

I agree. As much as I would love to get a break from my board with not using any grain, I think as a BO, setting board as an average would be easier than having to track have essentially 3 tiered levels of:

Easy keeper cost
Average keeper cost
Hard keeper cost

I know horses that due to health issues have swung from hard keeper to easy keeper or the other way around. That seems like it would be an extra pain for everyone if the monthly board cost was contingent on keeper status.

1 Like

Funny enough, in my personal experience, the horses who are the easiest keeper/air-fern types are quite often the ones that are hardest on fences and other wear & tear infrastructure type items. It’s almost never as black & white as “My horse eats less, ergo I should pay less.”

2 Likes