Thin Line pads for back pain?

Hi all!

This is my first post, and truly, the reason I joined the COTH forums.

Three months ago I took a spill off my gelding and broke my back. Specifically a L1 compression/burst fracture. I am still unable to ride per my neurosurgeon, but look forward to the day that I can. Right now there is no fusion in sight, unless the pain does not subside. I’m in that terrible TLSO brace until told otherwise…ugh.

I’ve heard that Thin Line saddle pads are endorsed by spinal surgeons, but have not seen any medical literature by neurosurgeons regarding that claim. (I’m a nurse so I’m a little picky about what people say is “medically helpful”).

Anyone with similar problems ride with these pads? I’m trying to anticipate things that I might need when I start riding again. That’s when I heard about these pads, but would love some testimonials.

Also, what other products to you use to help with back injuries and riding? For example: I bought a body protector to use all the time, not just eventing, so that the impact of a fall would be dispersed and protect my vulnerable prior injury. What else?

Thanks you guys!!

I love my thinline pads but do not see any difference between using them and not using them in terms of my back pain. I use them for the horse’s comfort.

I use them for my own back pain, and I do feel a difference if I forget to use it. However, my back problems are not nearly as severe as the OP’s and my pain is muscular.

My horse could care less whether I use the Thinline pad.

Welcome!

Hi Dukethe Dane,

Congratulations! You not only are one of us, you also join the broken back club with me! Whaa Hoo Waa! Isn’t it just gangs of fun!:eek:

Please feel free to p.m. me, as I’m 5 years out from my fall, and I’ve developed LOTS of strategies. (I got hit by a deer while I was galloping a big DWB) multiple compression fractured vertabrae, squished discs, vertabrae in novel positions.

And, the doctors didn’t figure out that I had broken my back until 6 months later. That’s 3 different Dr.s who didn’t see the need to even x-ray. I went to a highly trained P.T. 2 months and some out from the accident, because I was in so much pain and was losing the feeling in my legs below the knees. Sure made foxhunting on a bucking greenie difficult. The P.T. is the one who arranged for me to get an appt. with a top sports oriented spinal neuro surgeon. I had enough damage that surgery would have made things worse, so the neuro opted for lots of P.T. once I had healed the fractures.

I am now not only able to foxhunt, but I am currently taking eventing jumping lessons with the legendary Jimmy Wofford. On a green mare who is learning to jump. (She is known as the Dresage Diva)

To answer your question about the thin line. No it doesn’t do what you need. What you want is the medical orthopedic foam, poron. It is frequently found in orthotics as a cushioning highly moldable layer against the body. Wonderful, wonderful stuff! It is very thin, so it doesn’t interfer with the “feel” of the saddle. You just don’t hurt.:smiley:

I put it under a real wool sheepskin seat saver which holds it in place. The poron has a slick surface, and won’t work if it isn’t allowed to respond to your movement. Please p.m. me for all the nitty gritty info on how to get it and it’s many uses. The sample pieces in different weights are grand for carrying with you for chairs and cars.

If you contact the owner of F.I.T.S. breeches, she has designed breeches with pockets for shimming under the seat. These were developed for the para riders. The dressage rules state that one can’t have a seat saver on the saddle. Soo, what we do is put the shims on us, which IS legal. This is how I’m going to compete in regular open eventing.:winkgrin: heh, heh, heh! ( By the way, I’ve improved so much that I’m no longer eligible for para)

If at all possible, get a very high mounting block, so you are standing close to the height of the stirrup. You will need to practice breaking down the different components of mounting and the swing up into the saddle will be different to protect your back. Getting off takes the same care.

Since you don’t have displacement, you should be able to return to most things fairly quickly, except sitting trot and canter. I avoid both of those like the plague. I do 2 point or 3 point to save my back. Leg strength is going to be key. Posting trot without stirrups to build your legs up is miserable to do but will save you.

Please feel free to talk with me! I am one of the 3 original founders of this forum because we needed a place to help each other. I care.

This, but my back problem is cervical, rather than lumbar.

I have both lumbar and cervical! It doesn’t help either that I can tell but my horses stride out better with it. I have four of them. One lives at the race track with my filly.

Skito pad gives some relief

I have both a thinline and a skito and use one or the other based on my horse’s weight. I think we both prefer the skito. I have a fairly thick one. It is a thermal foam so don’t be shocked if it feels like a board before you put it on the horse and his body heat warms it up.

My issue was buldging discs.

Thanks everyone! Sorry I’m just now getting back to you. I appreciate everyone’s advice! :slight_smile:

I too had a fall resulting in a burst fracture of my L1 and had the TLSO brace for 3 months. It happened almost 4 years ago and I didn’t have fusion surgery either.

It took me about 9 months to get back on (I had NO muscle tone in my midsection for a while after the brace came off). I wear a vest most of the time now “just in case” although I admit since it’s getting hot here and I trust my new horse, I’ve been skipping it some lately.

I use a Thinline contour pad and I don’t honestly see any difference, but I don’t have constant pain either. My back hurts when I overdo things, or if I sit the trot too much. I bought a TL pad thinking it may help but wouldn’t hurt. I have no idea if it helps my horse’s back or not!

Good luck, hope you’re back in the saddle soon!