Unlimited access >

Thin Sheepskin Half Pads - is there such a thing?

Hello all!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a thin sheepskin or lambswool half pad? I know typically these types of pads are bulky but I like the breathability of sheepskin. Not looking to correct anything but prefer a little something under the saddle.

I am riding in the Acavello gel pad with sheepskin trim and my horse seems to go very well in it but with it being gel, it is not very breathable under the saddle. Plus it doesn’t have a gullet which I would prefer (as I think would he).

If you have a recommendation on another type of thin, breathable pad I am all ears!

I own a Mattes platinum pad but it is THICK… too thick for this saddle.

Has anyone tried the below and if yes, what are your opinions on them?

Evolution has a sheepskin half-pad but it is not sold in Canada so I would be buying sight unseen. Does anyone know how thick these are?

NuuMed Gullet Free Half Pad

LeMieux Merino Half Pad

This looks like a nice pad but I can’t for the life of me find who makes it.

Edit to add the above image is an Eskadron Pad.

Thanks!

I have a Fleeceworks sheepskin half pad that looks thick but once tacked up, it compresses down to be pretty thin. I’m really pleased with the quality, my only complaint is I needed something a little more substantial for my jump saddle, but if you want something thinner, that may do the trick.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/fleeceworks-classic-sheepskin-half-pad-with-rolled-edge-18185

This is the one I have. Mine is an older version but same idea.

1 Like

I have the Le Mieux half pad and it’s not overly thick, I think it’s thinner than the fleeceworks one. It does compress as you use it too.

1 Like

I have an Ovation Europa sheepskin half pad and it is significantly thinner than my Mattes pads. It has the same spine free channel of the Mattes.

1 Like