Unlimited access >

Things to see and do in/near Wellington

I’m going on a work trip with my husband to Fort Lauderdale. I’m planning to make our way to Wellington at some point during the week. Any fun things to see/do there? Places to eat? Good tack shops?

Are you going soon?

There are tons of vendors set up at the horse show grounds in Wellington right now for another week or so. After that, there might be fewer vendors, since the primary winter circuit will be over. There are still shows going on into the spring, though. So there should still be some vendors there for another few weeks.

There are also multiple permanent tack shops within a few miles of the horse show down Pierson Road. I think there are also a couple of consignment tack shops in the area as well.

If you’re going the first week in April, the Global Champions Tour show on Miami Beach is really worth a visit. The ring is literally steps from the ocean. I think that show is just Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but I won’t swear to it.

Not H/J but there will be a big dressage show at Global Dressage Festival on Wed-Sun this week. It’s a CDI4*/CDI3* plus National show and should have some big name riders. For instance, I saw Olympians Adrienne Lyle and Kasey Perry-Glass on the GP for GPS entry list. Also Endel Ots, who is not an Olympian but his horse Bohemian represented Denmark with Catherine Dufour at the Tokyo Olympics, where they placed Third in the Grand Prix and fourth in the Grand Prix Freestyle, and IIRC, the Danes team finished just off the podium (4th place).for the Team medals.

Here is a link to the show schedule - you can see the entry lists by clicking on the class name. And if you can’t make it for the day classes, try for Friday Night Stars (the Grand Prix Freestyle). It’s fun - and free except for $20 parking, But you may want to splurge and get VIP tickets (tables, food, adult beverages, etc.).

Tons of great restaurants, tons of tack shops, tons of things to do. This is literally horse heaven. I am here until May, happy to give specific recommendations if you give me an idea what exactly you are looking for

We will be there April 14th-20th. I would love to be able to catch a Grand Prix, check out some tack shops and probably get some dinner somewhere good but not outrageously expensive.

Here is the website with the schedule for that week.

It looks like the bigger jumper classes will be taking place at the facility down on the corner, and some of the hunters will be in the main international ring at the big showgrounds. There is a $140,000 Grand Prix on Sunday, so there should be a fair number of entries in that, I would think.

All the classes show zero entries at this point since nobody has entered that far ahead yet. It will be updated when the show gets closer.

1 Like

Definitely On Course Consignment for used tack items. It’s literally exploding with so many used items and is my go-to place to check before I buy something new since it’s usually there.

Restaurants - It’s not in Wellington proper, but Chris’ in Lake Worth has excellent Greek food https://christaverna.com/ it’s about 10 minutes from Lake Worth Rd coming from the center of Wellington.

Breakfast, a Strathmore bagel is something of a staple.

Also, the Buccan sandwich shop (there’s one in West Palm, much closer than the Palm Beach location) is fab. https://www.buccansandwichshop.com/

For tack shops - Tackeria for a little of everything, On Course for consignment, and Tack n Rider for all the newest gear from Europe: https://www.tacknrider.com/