Unlimited access >

Things you should know but are ashamed to admit you don't...

I’m sure that there are more than a few of us out there that feel we should know certain things about horses, but are too embarrased to admit that we don’t.

I am a horse professional, but admit there are some basic things that I know I should know, but don’t. So here’s the thread: Don’t be ashamed to ask because no one will judge. Those of you who know the answers, feel free to answer. Ask your stupid questions away!!!

I’ll start:

1. I can never remember what a horses’ vision is (blindspots, etc.) and what colors they see and don’t see (if any).

2. Why the heck does the elastic part of the girth have to be on the mounting side? Never made much of a difference to me.

Anyone else?

I should be able to post the trot. I still struggle with that!

Never have and do not know how to wrap a leg…:o

I suck at being able to tell a horse with good conformation vs. bad conformation. hehe. Oh and I often get the parts of the leg mixed up…there are more. Just cant think if them right now

I’m actually a pro at wrapping legs (we won’t go into how I got that way:eek: )

Always wrap towards the back of the horse, meaning the ball of the wrap should always go away from the front. I always start just above the ankle and go down a couple of times and then work my way back up. Usually if you’re using pillow wraps, you don’t have to worry about being too tight.

Vision, anyone? This one kills me. What the heck is their vision!? I cannot remember!

I always have a hard time finding that dang “bean” when I clean a sheath. Could be because I’ve only ever owned mares! :smiley: I’ve done my fair share of sheath cleaning, but the bean is ever-elusive for me. :dead:

I can never remember which rein goes on the outside when you use a double bridle or pelham. Actually I’m not sure there IS a consensus on that…and I don’t use one anyhow, so… :wink:

Can never remember which is which: a Chambon vs. a deGogue, nor travers vs. renvers and all those crazy dressage terms. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no idea how to give shots. I always boarded my horses and even now, working in a barn, the barn manager is either there or living on the property and is to be called immediately if there’s a problem.

Add that to my absolutely awful squeamishness, and I’ve never learned to give a shot. I do want to learn, but I’ll probably just pass out.

Fargone, try this url:

http://www.equusite.com/articles/safety/safetyEyesight.shtml

I think it sums it all up pretty well for ya, and you can bookmark it! :smiley:

“Why the heck does the elastic part of the girth have to be on the mounting side? Never made much of a difference to me.”

I think it’s probably so the girth wont slide and pinch the horses skin when it’s tightened.

I get confused about what the judges are looking for in all the different kinds of hunter classes.

[QUOTE=fargonefarm;1999569]

1. Why the heck does the elastic part of the girth have to be on the mounting side? Never made much of a difference to me.

Anyone else?[/QUOTE]

so that it is easier for the rider to tighten it while mounted ( as your supposed to tighten it on the left while mounted…

how can you tell if a boot (ie tendon boot) IS snug enough???

I don’t know how to feel for the digital pulse. :no:

1 Like

I can never remember what a horses respiration should be…

I also can’t “feel” the wrong diagonal. I have to look down. Anyone else have this problem?

Fargone: I read an article on horses vision fairly recently and the vet explained it like a person with color-blindness. They can see some colors but not all and in various shades. I think red and green are the clearest? Maybe…

I have been riding for 14 years and cannot for the life of me come up on the correct diagonal. I can feel that I’m wrong and change within 1-2 steps (although apparently this weekend was an exception :o), but everytime I try to come up on the right diagonal I end up being wrong.

Also, I had never jumped without my stirrups until last year.

I have never taken a horse’s pulse. Is it under the jaw?

I have never really cleaned a sheath. I’ve picked at crusties, and I snuck up on my old gelding once or twice and got the bean, but I’ve never set out with a full artillary to do the deed. (I have a mare now, so that solves that!)

Average Pulse: 36-42 beats per minute. You can feel it under/the side of their jaw,as well as in the pastern (digital pulse)
Average Respiration: 8-16 breaths per minute
Average Temp: 100.5
Healthy Temperature Range: 99.0-101.0

Horse’s blindspots are directly infront and directly behind. The colors they can see (as far as I know) is still an ongoing debate. I remember a recent Equess discussed the posibility of them seeing every color we see, except muted. Think pastel.

Cannot reassemble a bridle. The bit always ends up backward.

Usually blank out on the meaning of “outside” and “inside” when other riders shriek these words at me as they approach in the arena.

Always have to think twice about the difference between the hock and the fetlock.

And so much more.

Forget trying to feel a pulse especially digital. I’ve only ever felt that when my horse had laminitis. Instead get a cheap stethescope and just listen to the heart to count the beats.

Another good “vital sign” to become familiar with is bowel sounds. Just place your ear on your horse’s barrel in front of the hing leg and listen. Once you know their regular pattern you can hear when the sounds are either increased, changed in pitch, or decreased.

“Cannot reassemble a bridle. The bit always ends up backward.”

I’m so happy to hear this! I’m not the only one-it happens to me every single time!

Until recently I had never used a full cheek snaffle, and I could not figure out the bit keepers.

There are so many more that I’m sure I’ll think of later.

[QUOTE=In_;1999682]
Average Pulse: 36-42 beats per minute. You can feel it under/the side of their jaw,as well as in the pastern (digital pulse)
Average Respiration: 8-16 breaths per minute
Average Temp: 100.5
Healthy Temperature Range: 99.0-101.0

Horse’s blindspots are directly infront and directly behind. The colors they can see (as far as I know) is still an ongoing debate. I remember a recent Equess discussed the posibility of them seeing every color we see, except muted. Think pastel.[/QUOTE]

Geez walking dictionary!:winkgrin: how do you know this stuff? I must admit I start zoning when it gets to the “boring” stuff like respiration(amazing none of the ponies have died yet)

BTW I read the color thing on the Equisearch(?) website maybe? I think its a magazine/ online forum thing… good lord I’m getting daft in my old age:uhoh:

snaffle rein outside the pinkie, curb rein between pinkie and ring (IF I remember correctly :lol: )

elastic on left–easier to adjust saddle than moving leg with sword attached :eek:

I can never remember the name of those stupid chestnut-things on the back of fetlocks! :mad:

Umm… from the daughter of a rocket scientist, we have the admission that she barely knows her right from her left… thank god for the L on the left hand.

I also forget which side the mane should be on… again… a right left issue…

What “scope” is…