Unlimited access >

Thinking about buying an OTTB as first horse am I crazy?

First off, I am new to the forums but I have been here before… so hi! I have been speaking with different trainers on the topic of buying my first horse (an OTTB) and I want to get some different insight. Sorry in advance if this gets too long.

I’m 20. Started taking lessons at age 7, and continued until I was 18 because my trainers left for college and for other reasons.
I showed a few horses for 2 years, I did H/J, Dressage, and Show Jumping. I have also trained/retrained 7 horses and a few of them being OTTBs newly off the track. I have worked at my local barns to help care for horses and to help give lessons to young children.

Most of the boarders/trainers told me to get a $25,000 show horse or I should lease a horse for a few months. I have looked into leasing a horse but I am financially in a solid position to be able to manage board, vet care, etc. I will be getting a vet check on any horse that I do buy by the way.

Because I have worked with green horses, training my own project horse is where my heart is. I keep finding myself drawn to OTTBs which brings me to being on the CanterUSA site all the time. Most organizations in my area prefer not to adopt to first-time horse owners so I have no luck there. I plan on having a trainer work with me and I will also take lessons in the future with my new OTTB once he is trained a bit.

My biggest fear is that a trainer won’t want to sell me an OTTB straight from the track because I am 20 and I am 4’11 and look like I’m 12. But do you have to be approved or will they let me buy the horse of my dreams?

Also, I have been reading up on what people think about stalling or pasture boarding a new OTTB. I do want to have my horse out 24/7 but I do know how that can be stressful for a horse that is stalled 23 hours a day. Many people say their new OTTBs do well being out 24/7 and some people stay they keep their OTTBs in a stall. I will be watching my OTTB once he is brought home and turned out. If he can’t be out 24/7 at the start, will a month of living in a stall be long enough for him to get use to his pasture?

Any thoughts or tips?

Ssssoooo I was like you ummm 20 years ago(seriously the same size)…here are my words of wisdom. Add in supplements insura ce and vet bills. Be sure you can board the horse in a place it is happy, get all the hay it needs as well as all the turnout it needs that will save you boat loads on ulcer treatment. And oh my lordeee lordeee the right farrier. My 2 love n need 24/7 turn out with friends over the fence, preferably a run in stall of a real barn. Freedom with a routine. They have strong and sensitive hearts, minds & bodies have them in the right situation and it is heavenly, in a not quite right situation it is hellish. Prime example…my boy is just very particular about “the view from where he will chew” put hay where he can’t see what he wants to keep an eye on and he barely eats it, place it where he can see what he wants and he chews away while he views. My girl well she has favorite water bucket, dark green just tastes better than light green, no matter what always. Basically special horses, need special people. < said with total admiration. Keep us posted!!

I think so long as you have the means to deal with whatever problems crop up when the horse is being let down, along with a funds for a thorough PPE, then you’ll be fine. You don’t seem inexperienced from your description. I think a lot of people (and rightly so) steer first time owners towards easier horses, forgetting that there is a subset of first time owner that, thanks to circumstance, has loads of experience with all sorts of horses, but has never had the privilege of owning one.

Anyways, keep a trainer on speed dial after you let the horse down just in case. Take things slow and steady, and you’ll do fine. Oh, you will also want to bring a trainer with you if you are buying straight off the track, especially one with OTTB experience. It’s always good to have a second set of eyes, and it’ll make you seem more legit.

Not much advice, just make sure you PPE the hell out of anything coming off the track. Especially the legs. So much potential heartbreak if it goes wrong later on down the road…

As someone who bought a 3 year old OTTB at 20 as my first (and so far only) horse, I think you are in a better place experience wise to do so. My mare is now 16 and thrives outside. She was never really all that happy in a stall though, looking back at her behavior. I think if you feel that you have enough experience and you are ready for a horse, go for it.

Oh and she did live outdoors pretty much right away, though she was pretty skinny for awhile so had to come in for extra feed. We went between stall board and pasture board several times until I finally decided that enough was enough about 7 years ago. She has been living outside 24 hours since then.

OP, you are not crazy. Plenty of us on COTH had OTTB’s as our first horse. Myself included at 15.

I agree with those who have said do a thorough PPE.

As for your height and age, there are plenty of young people that height at the tracks that can ride circles around most people!!!

If you go to the track, perhaps consider taking another experienced person with you to provide an objective opinion or to help ensure you don’t miss anything.

You sound well equipped to have an OTTB. My thoughts, based on personal experience, in order:

1. Must. Have. A. Brain. Listen, I love OTTBs like a kid loves candy, but they better be sane. And don’t let anyone kid you-there are some that are not.
  2. PPE. I can’t say personally I’d go into huge debt over a PPE, but everything I’ve bought has had at minimum x-rays on “questionable” areas (such as flexing a little off here and there leads to x-rays).
  3. Have a trainer with OTTB experience. Helps immensely.

Good Luck! I have one now and he is the best horse I’ve ever owned by far, but I really believe ~50% of them are not worth the time/vet bills/effort. That’s why you have to choose carefully.

ETA: others might disagree with this, but I personally want to see one that’s raced a bit. I would like to see at least 2-3 yrs consistent racing. It doesn’t need to be a world-beater, but just racing consistently tells you something. in fact, a few things. One, work ethic. The horse that finished up the track in its 3 starts might’ve just been too quiet, but it might also have no work ethic. If it never made the track, it might be too slow, but it also might be too unsound or too ill-equipped, mentally or physically, to deal with much. The horse that owners/trainers choose to keep around and race generally have some qualities.
Again, keeping in mind a solid vetting is paramount, and others’ opinions may vary…that’s just my two cents.

1. My first horse was an ottb I bought when I was 21.

2.Um, look at all of the over faced middle aged novice horse women out there with their ottbs they can’t ride who to top it all off don’t work with a trainer. People sold them ottbs.

3.People also sell their race horses to be sent to Puerto Rico, etc, so if your money is as green as Puerto Rican money…

Someone who knows how to ride, has worked with green horses and plans to work with a trainer should be just fine.

Also, I have been reading up on what people think about stalling or pasture boarding a new OTTB. I do want to have my horse out 24/7 but I do know how that can be stressful for a horse that is stalled 23 hours a day. Many people say their new OTTBs do well being out 24/7 and some people stay they keep their OTTBs in a stall. I will be watching my OTTB once he is brought home and turned out. If he can’t be out 24/7 at the start, will a month of living in a stall be long enough for him to get use to his pasture?

Any thoughts or tips?

Ask the people selling you the horse what they recommend for that horse.

I don’t think anyone mentioned it, but you may want to give the horse time to let down. I’ve seen some OTTBs come off the track and go straight into work with no issues, but many need some time to adjust to life off the track. Don’t push. Just be patient.
If you’re careful about choosing one, I think an OTTB is a great choice. Definitely bring a trainer or someone knowledgeable that you trust. I went to the track when I was 14 just to see what it was like (family friend owned a few racehorses), and had trainers trying to give me horses left and right. I doubt you’ll have an issue buying one!

My only thought:

OTTB’s cannot be somewhat hard to rehome/sell on if you fall on hard times financially and you haven’t had the horse too long. There are a lot of other horses out there that could be amazing horses with training that would be a whole lot easier to move on if it comes to that.

Also, I have a 23 year old OTTB that I’ve had since he was four. He was 6 months off the track when I got him. PPE’d great, had a great mind, great disposition. Nothing fazes this horse, and he was sound as a dollar with minimal races under his belt at 4.

Turned out, the horse had a rather serious bolting issue. Not a spooking bolt, just running with no sense of rider preservation. By the time he was 9, he’d been diagnosed with Pedal Osteitis, and was retired. A couple of people have tried to put him back to work through a variety of circumstances, and he does not stay sound in work at all. Pasture sound barefoot though, thank god.

Just saying, despite a great mind and a PPE at the time of purchase, this horse still ended up with a lot of issues. It could happen with any horse, not just a OTTB, but I feel like the chances are worse with an OTTB.

Also consider the tons of resellers that get OTTBs off of the track and evaluate them in a normal farm setting. Most have a very minimal markup that is so worth it to know a horse is sane. I have two OTTBs and they are night and day. One is the calmest most straightforward horse you could ask for and the other is a very special snowflake!

I have an OTTB that is going up for sale. I absolutely love him and wish that I didn’t board. He is like a big dog. He will follow me around. He is a happy boy. IF I had my own place I wouldn’t sell him. I would find a good leaser to ride him at my place and show him. Also if I didn’t work an INSANE job at times…and was a little younger. He would stay.

On the flip side -

I board. I work at least 40 hours a week. I am 45 and not nearly as bendy as I used to be. I just finally got my nerve back to ride and not feel like a raw beginner after 3 years of illness and injury. HE has to be in work full time to be performing his best. Could I afford a trainer to ride him all the time and show him. Yes. Do I want to. No. Horses are my stress relief and only way I decompress. Having a horse I can’t ride is killing me.

IF you get a OTTB get a PPE and a full set of xrays. My boy had knee chips and I had to get them removed shortly after I got him. Had I know he had knee chips I wouldn’t have gotten him pure and simple.

“I will also take lessons in the future with my new OTTB once he is trained a bit.”

This is the only statement you make that gives me pause. OTTBs can be a dream or a handful. If you’ve trained one from track to regular riding, you’ve trained one. Each one is different so I’d like to see you have a board AND training package in place after horse is let down from track. IOW, from your first ride on him, you’ve got trainer supervision.

Just wanted to add that a) yes, you need to be approved by Canter or other adoption agencies, and b) if you DON’T get approval, there are tons of people that buy horses straight off the track and then re-sell them. Some are reeeeally fresh off the track, others have already been let down and re-started under saddle. So, don’t let the fear of not getting approved stop you. Ask around, trainers in your area should know who to refer you to.

Good luck and have fun! My first horse (after my childhood pony) was an OTTB rescue. Best horse ever. Although I was biased a bit. :wink: They will teach you SO much!

[QUOTE=Sansena;8946817]
“I will also take lessons in the future with my new OTTB once he is trained a bit.”

This is the only statement you make that gives me pause. OTTBs can be a dream or a handful. If you’ve trained one from track to regular riding, you’ve trained one. Each one is different so I’d like to see you have a board AND training package in place after horse is let down from track. IOW, from your first ride on him, you’ve got trainer supervision.[/QUOTE]

The way I interpreted her post, I thought she was having a trainer solely work with the horse first, and then “I will also take lessons in the future with my new OTTB once he is trained a bit.” Though I could be wrong.

Even though I trained race horses for over 20 years and love TBs (but hate the OTTB designation) I vote lease a made horse. You are young and should be out there doing the fun stuff with nothing tying you down long term.

There are lots of horses that are neither straight off the track nor made horses that cost $25,000. Why not look at some of them, too? That way you have the advantage of being able to try them under saddle and see if they are suitable for whatever you want to do.

[QUOTE=talkofthetown;8946818]
Just wanted to add that a) yes, you need to be approved by Canter or other adoption agencies, and b) if you DON’T get approval, there are tons of people that buy horses straight off the track and then re-sell them. Some are reeeeally fresh off the track, others have already been let down and re-started under saddle. So, don’t let the fear of not getting approved stop you. Ask around, trainers in your area should know who to refer you to.

Good luck and have fun! My first horse (after my childhood pony) was an OTTB rescue. Best horse ever. Although I was biased a bit. :wink: They will teach you SO much![/QUOTE]

You don’t have to be approved by CANTER to purchase a trainer listed horse. You contact the trainer directly, no assistance or interference from CANTER. Some affiliates own a few horses and operate as rescue/rehoming barns but most of the horses listed are trainer owned.

Love, love, love OTTBs. They are already trained, just not for your sport. They learn quickly and adore attention (the majority). I’ve never known a TB that does not have a strong work ethic once they find the thing they love to do. (I’ve had a few that hated racing.) Yes, PPE them, but also look for one that didn’t spend much if any time on the track. You have a better chance with one that just doesn’t run well. Less potential leg issues. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=gypsymare;8946893]
You don’t have to be approved by CANTER to purchase a trainer listed horse. You contact the trainer directly, no assistance or interference from CANTER. Some affiliates own a few horses and operate as rescue/rehoming barns but most of the horses listed are trainer owned.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thank you for the correction! I have gone through the application process with New Vocations before and ASSumed they were the same. :slight_smile: