Unlimited access >

Thinking of going off commercial grain and doing more of a forage set up.

When I added Platinum Performance Vitamins to my TBs rations, vet thought it was a different horse. He was 18 and maybe grade II. Triple crown feed and Triple Crown safe starch hay is amazing. Their Safe Starch Hay has vitamins added and all my horses will eat it over alfalfa! It seems expensive but lasts 3-4 times as long as regular bale of hay. Even super cheap hubby says it’s worth it LOL

Kentucky Equine Research EO-3 is eaten better unless I wet food down with hot water. I think Omega Ratio is better too, although I alternate using it between that and triple Crown Ground Flax.

I have an OTTB that, when I got him, had a history of ulcers and pretty much just picked at his food. He’s 16.3 and rangy in build and was definitely a hard keeper. When he continued to colic mildly but regularly and then finally had a major impaction, we discovered that he wasn’t able to digest the hay—coastal bermuda (we’re in TX). He also was a bit insulin resistant. Based on my vet’s suggestion, I moved him to “all forage” and now he gets alfalfa (flake in am and 1 in pm); as much timothy as he wants (I have to import that), and 6-8 ounces of Renew Gold once a day. He’s out almost 24x7 on native pasture, which is pretty much nonexistent at the moment. He also gets Farrier’s Formula double strength, and 1/2 the daily ration of regular Platinum. Now it’s hard to keep weight OFF him, especially when we have plenty of rain and there’s a lot of grass. He’s super shiny, a little sassy sometimes, healthy, and doesn’t pick up parasites (he runs with his herd—2 longhorns, which helps) so gets wormed 1-2 times a year. The colic has virtually disappeared except for when he got into the steers’ coastal round bale and he had a mild episode. His feet are still crappy but can’t do much about genetics! I also was a little skeptical, but it’s made a huge difference for this horse.

1 Like

She was on Sentinel LS 7.25 lbs 3 x a day plus cool calories. Now she gets 3.5 lbs of alfalfa pellets 2x a day plus her multivitamin and roughly 1/2lb beet pulp (dry weight) soaked. She has always had free choice orchard grass hay, that has not changed. I will say that my pocket book is much happier that it worked for her.

1 Like

I also think that the Alfalfa finally helped her ulcers stay at bay and that is what she needed to help her not fret off her weight. I do not normally feed into the “grain free” fad and all my other horses are either not working at all and a little portly or are easier keepers so it was easy to move everyone to this diet. I am getting a new OTSTB in a couple weeks who will probably not be on this diet from the beginning. He will stay on what he has always been on , whatever that is, and maybe somewhere down the road I might try it but I will not shock his system further switching over from track life to farm life when he has been racing for the past 10 years. The lifestyle change is going to be enough.