thinline reins?

anyone try them? the ad said endorsed by hand surgeons for arthritis. do they work? currently I use either loop reins(frustrating when trying to adjust contact or rubber reins wrapped in vetwrap. I cant hold laced reins aanymore

TIA
other thick thick reins would be nice(mine are connermara and not thick)

I will only use other reins under protest any more.

They have much more of a ‘live’ feel, and are easy on the hands if the guy on the other end trys to yank on them.

^^^ This.
I use them and love them! Great “live” mouth feel, just like tollertwins says.
They come in brown or black, and 2 lengths - be sure to get the longer ones if you have a big horse (16+)!

I also always wear leather gloves. Helps with the arthritis, and provides better grip with less tension - easier on my hands.

I find the Thinline saddle pads a HUGE help with my arthritic back, too…

thanks ! I will put them on my xmas wish list!!!

truegrits I have a thinline halfpad too… love it :slight_smile: use it depending on the horse, right now the mare i ride is super smooth so i dont use it( the big guys shivers made him unshoeable :frowning: so unridable)

I wish thinline made gloves now wouldnt those be nice!

Just beware- you have to use Thinline’s wipes on them to clean them- not regular saddle soap, etc. Also, you have to be careful about fly spray, show sheen, etc on the neck as it will start to eat at the reins.

I adore my Thinline reins. Due to my lack of grip strength, I need reins that offer some grip. I also have regular rubber reins and reins that are leather on the outside and rubber on the side that touches the horse’s neck. All 3 types are great for me, but the Thinlines are my favorites!

From where do you all buy your thinline reins? I have a friend with arthritic hands and I will forward the info to her.

Thanks.

GallopHer, here you go -

Thinline - Find a Dealer:
http://thinlineglobal.com/find_a_dealer/

…and a Reminder - get the 60" length for “horse size”.

Just a thought- I was considering the tinline reins very seriously because I can no longer grib standard web, rubber, laced reins etc due to my RA. I talked with my trainer and another person I ride with and we actually decided to try another option first due to my budget and because I find for my hands having something somewhat larger than most reins is helpful (so the fact that the thinline reins are not really that much fatter than normal reins gave me pause every time I was aboutt to purchase them).

I now use reins made out of rope. They look really “wenglish” :lol: considering I ride dressage and jumping but they have been amazing. They also were considerably more affordable than the thinline reins since my dh just made them for me (length of rope with leather wrapped in electrical tape holding the rope to clips on each end for easy removal). So…just a thought on a different option. If I had all the money in the world I would still try the thinline reins but…I don’t and I really love my new reins :smiley:

I LOFF my Thinline reins!

[QUOTE=myvanya;5170541]
…so the fact that the thinline reins are not really that much fatter than normal reins gave me pause every time I was aboutt to purchase them.

I now use reins made out of rope. … If I had all the money in the world I would still try the thinline reins but…I don’t and I really love my new reins :D[/QUOTE]

Actually Thinline reins are considerably thicker than regular web or leather reins. And MUCH softer, and easier to grip.

I can’t see how rope, used as reins, would sit comfortably between your ring and pinkie finger ( with or without duct tape! ) - though the thought of the blisters they would cause leaves me cringing.

Thinline reins are less than $100 - not a huge expense in the overall scheme of horse and tack ( & maintenance ) costs, but well worth it, imho. Certainly not in the Unaffordable “if I had all the money in the world” Category. fyi -Whatever reins you’ve described bear no resemblance to my Thinline reins, which are super comfy, provide amazing ‘mouth feel’, and are really kind to arthritic hands and/or fingers. Even riders without arthritis love these reins because of their great feel… rope?, not so much. :wink:

I felt the thinline reins in person. For me, I still wasn’t positive they were different enough from the reins I was using for my particular issue, which is gripping small or large things- I to some extent have a problem of having to find the “just right” size if I want to be able to hold something for long periods. And actually, the reins I now have don’t cause blisters at all…

And no, $100 or so (what I found the thinlines to cost) isn’t a ton) but eventually things add up. I can purchase lead rope for a couple dollars and already had clips, electrical tape, and leather cord. So for less than $5 I have reins that are perfect for me. I don’t know if they will work for others, but thought they might be an easier option as they can also be purchased for about $25 or less online (usually western and harder to find in the length I like, but still possible)

So…just another possible option. I’m glad for those that can use the thinline reins and they work. Just wanted to put antoher option out there that worked well for me.