Unlimited access >

Thornhill Vienna II?

I’ve gotten the opportunity to purchase a Thornhill Vienna II in great condition. Thoughts on this saddle? I had never heard of them before.

Try the “Similar Threads” section, which you can find by scrolling to the bottom of your thread. This saddle comes up for discussion quite a bit, and there’s lots of older threads about it. The short version? Worth considering, but don’t overpay for it, especially considering you can often find the saddle it’s based on (the Passier Grand Gilbert) for very similar prices. However, if you have a very wide horse, the Vienna may merit some attention since it’s built on a U-shaped hoop tree.

I will check out those threads, thanks! :slight_smile: The price I’m looking at is in the $450-$550 range.

Love this saddle. Its great for wide backed horses.

I have used it since 07, actually have had two for two horses.

No issues. I prefer the leather, it doesn’t scratch as easily as softer high end leather. It has a bit more grip than some, the blocks are not restrictive. Its a medium depth to seat.

450-550 Is a very good price-- most go used for 600-700-ish.

Passiers? have never seen in the 500 range used! I wish!

I have one and I like it. I have a medium tree for my somewhat wide QH. He does have a wither but he also has a very well sprung rib cage which sort of makes him flat across the back. He is not “draft” wide though.

As soon as I put it on him I noticed he was much more free through the shoulder.

I’m currently using a Thornhill Germania saddle on him and I like it a lot too.

Anyway I bought the Vienna II new about 2 years ago for just about $1000.00 to give you an idea of price. If the one you’re looking at fits and is in good shape it’s a pretty good price. Not as nice as a high end saddle but a decent value for the money.