Unlimited access >

Thoroughbred pedigree comments

In January I purchased an unraced TB gelding in Ireland. He does not have an official name but his stablename is Liberty. At first I wanted to name him Raeburn and that is why he is under that name on “pedigree query”. Liberty is by Libertarian out of Nether the Lady (Montelimar). Please tell me what you think of this pedigree with regard to sport horse ability.

As a rule, I don’t like to comment too much about things beyond the third generation-- I feel like you’re getting waaay too far back in the pedigree to make a difference.

But two lines that consistently produce good jumpers in your horse’s pedigree include the Galileo/Sadler’s Wells line and the Alleged/Hoist the Flag line.

Hopefully someone else has some immediate insight about the sire/broodmare sire.

1 Like

Both sire and dam sire marketed as National Hunt jump stallions. Montelimar more successful. The sire is well bred, is good looking and had a good enough racing career, if short. He hasn’t set the breeding world on fire. Not an issue as you want a sport horse.

1 Like

Thank you Texarkana and Willesdon. I have been wondering why his sire had such a short racing career and why he is not being used for flat racing breeding. I have been trying to find information on the internet but could not find it.

Libertarian’s first 3 year olds were in 2019. Jump bred TBs often are put away to grow on, termed to be “stores”, so won’t appear at point to points or hurdles until they are 5 or even 6 - i.e. soon. His stores have been sold for up to £19 K which suggests people like their potential. I presume injury stopped his career as he won the Dante and was 2nd in the Derby. In Ireland and the UK, jump racing has as high a profile as flat. No disgrace being a National Hunt sire but not as attractive for the top level international market.

2 Likes

Willesdon you are right of course that National Hunt racing is not considered inferior.

For what it’s worth, my late TB eventer was by Alleged out of a Roberto mare. He was a good jumper, decent mover, and honest as the day is long. He carried me around Prelim, and probably had the ability to easily do Intermediate with a bolder rider.

I think Roberto is also very good for jumping.
My horse is very willing, kind and not spooky.