Unlimited access >

Thorowgood Broadback (Cob) Saddle (opinions & ISO?) -

I have a small Arabian, about 14.1 (wears a 69" blanket, and a 46" girth) that I’m currently ridding in a Wintec Next Gen 500 all purpose saddle. I had it fitted and the fitter put in the white gullet.

This saddle… sigh. My mare is small, narrow chested, flat fat back (think the top of a loaf of bread), very wide in the top of her / behind her scapula and no withers. The saddle rests on her scapulas (ok even when I push the saddle back, that area is the widest on her body and she gets narrower) and the panels going down make no contact. I got so desperate I made a front-half shim pad with a cut out around her scapula area and padding all the way down the side panels to help the saddle make even contact. But now the saddle feels even more perched.

Even with a crupper, a 5pt breast collar and a W shapped girth the saddle isn’t secure from side to side (it rolls). Not even after two saddle fittings. It just seems perched on her back.

SO, I was considering the Thorowgood Broadback because it has the U shaped vs V shaped gullet. And it also seems to have thinner panels.

Has anyone used one? One thing I did notice is that it has the square cantle (which doesn’t bother me) and the other thing is that the flaps seem straighter cut and smaller than the average all purpose (the Wintec for example). I’m average height / build for a female (130 lbs / 5’5" / 17" saddle). I’d just like to know I can ride with a shorter stirrup to school over some low jumps.

Can’t tell you anything about the broadback cob, but FWIW I have the T4 high-wither dressage for my 14.1 arabian who’s built a lot like yours and really love it. Wintecs rolled and slipped forward on him too.

FYI I am not an endurance rider – dressage girl here. But I’d happily take this saddle over distances, it’s real comfy.

I had that saddle, an older one a few years ago and LOVED it, most comfortable saddle ever. I only sold it because it was way too wide for new horse. I did get for him the regular T4 dressage and also love it. I am a big fan of Thorowgoods, much more comfortable for me and better fitting for my horses than Wintec.

I had one on trial a few years back to fit a hard to fit, very wide ASB. I absolutely adored it, but couldn’t keep it because the flap did not accomodate my long femur- it just wasn’t forward enough for me. But I adored the adjustability, it was the most comfortable saddle of all i tried and my horse did quite well in it for the trial period.

The saddle likely rolls as it is not the right shape and width as in too narrow or angular. The Thorowgood cob/broadback are more suitable but still not as U shaped as some other brands but I do think more open and accommodating than a Wintec and generally, more adjustable.

For the table-topped/flat backed, try a Duett. The hoop tree is wide enough to clear those shoulders full, while maintaining contact over the back evenly.

The Thorowgoods get my saddle fitter’s deal of approval, because they’re pretty workable (unlike the Wintecs). I have a sharkfin TB (opposite of you, I know) and I love my Thorowgood on him, but it did take the help of a qualified saddle fitter to make it a good fit.

The broadback cob is LONG!!! The gussets may go back beyond her last rib…

I’ve had one for years and used it on a couple of smaller horses, one of which also wears a 69 inch blanket, and it has worked and held up great.

[QUOTE=tollertwins;8231231]
The broadback cob is LONG!!! The gussets may go back beyond her last rib…[/QUOTE]

They now have a model with a shorter tree called the “Compact” that might work, though it doesn’t come in the Broadback tree, which is kind of weird to me since short back and no withers so often go together.

I have tried these saddles and they were really nice, but none of the various tree shapes really worked on my mare.

I would recommend the T4 or T8 COMPACT GP (also made by Thorowgood). I am going to be getting one in a few weeks time and I will let you know how it works for my very short-backed horse!

The Compact GP has a shorter tree and is slightly flatter (better for arabs/other flat backed creatures like my horse) while still using the U shaped tree.

DJohn - Did you end up getting the saddle? :slight_smile:

I’m a bit late to the discussion, but I wanted to add that my friend has this saddle for her Arab gelding, and it fits like a glove. It’s also very comfy to ride in :slight_smile: