Unlimited access >

Thoughts on Bareback Pads?

[QUOTE=Sparrowette;7670540]

Walktrot - When your friends fight over it, THAT’S a recommendation… Cheapest one I’ve found was $370. Bit of a difference between that and the Best Friends one on eBay. But if it’s worth it, and lasts… Has there been any change in the honeycomb plastic over the years? Has it become stiff or anything? You can probably see, I’m a bit tempted…

From the replies here, I’m glad I didn’t just get one of the cheepos.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input![/QUOTE]

I’m sort of a Supracor junkie because I have a pad for my dressage saddle, which I have used 6 days a week for about 12 years, and a pad for my western trail saddle, which mostly sits in the barn unused because I don’t trail ride by myself anymore. Between that and the bareback pad I can say that the honeycomb is fine. It definitely does not get mildew-y even in a damp tack room. As far as the bareback pad is concerned, it doesn’t get used extensively, but it has been through the wash several times and comes out looking good. It’s made out of materials which should hold up well, especially if kept clean.

[QUOTE=Barn Dirt;7670423]
I recently borrowed the Thinline bareback pad from a girl in my barn (we’re both having saddle fit issues) and it is LOVELY! Even now that I’ve got the saddle sorted I would still love to get one, it’s grippy enough to do some serious work and very comfortable. I loved it![/QUOTE]

I second the Thinline Bareback pad. My mare is getting up there in age and with that comes the protruding spine. I used to be able to ride her bareback all day when she was younger, but alas it’s now a bit uncomfortable and I require a pad.

Anyway, the Thinline pad is extremely grippy, easy to clean and I love it.

I have this one and love it! http://horsedreamimporters.com/bareback.php

[QUOTE=Sparrowette;7670540]
Has anyone else had trouble with rust on the Best Friends?[/QUOTE]

I borrowed 2 different BF pads before I bought my ThinLine. Minor rust (surface only) on the oldest one–guessing 6-7 years old, possibly more like 10. The newer one was fine. Neither received any care at all. I am pretty comfortable bareback, but tend to ride/own/lease TBs with withers. The ThinLine is perfect for that. When I was borrowing the BF, I would just put a saddle pad under the BF pad. Not ideal, but it worked. Wither clearance isn’t perfect, but I just didn’t crank the girth too tight and told myself it was a good time to learn to sit in the middle. Only time I ever came off was when my Appendix tripped and fell on his face in the middle of a canter depart…bless his heart. :wink:

I wanted to drop back in here and thank everyone for the help. I decided to go with the one I originally linked to, although when it arrived, it was quite a bit darker than the photo.

Took it out to show maresey today and we had no more bone-back issues. I’m pretty happy with the Best Friends one. Although I was really tempted by the “leather” one that had friends fighting over it, I couldn’t justify the price to myself.

So thanks again!

I have a pad similar to this: http://tackshop.horsefriendly.com/english_suede_bareback_pad_lg.html

It has grippy material on the bottom, suede on the seat and you use your regular girth with it. Got it on a tack swap page on FB 2 for $40! All the girls at the barn ask to borrow it. Worked great during no saddle October last year. Made me feel secure enough to canter, which I never thought I would do.