Unlimited access >

Thoughts on Bareback Pads?

I’ve been wanting to ride bareback more because of the benefits to my seat, etc. but when I do, my mare seems to resent my two butt bones poking her back. I can feel it too, and understand how I would feel if I were her.

So I’m thinking of bareback pads. Don’t want stirrups because they are not going to be a support and don’t want to fool myself.

I saw this on eBay, and was wondering what people more knowledgeable than me would think. The pockets for water bottles sound really nice, but I’d appreciate any thoughts from smart people, about this pad and pads in general.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horse-Riding-Navy-Blue-Bareback-Pad-Saddle-w-Pockets-Water-Bottle-FREE-SHIPPING-/310993533428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4868a8b9f4

Thanks in advance!

Its available on Amazon and it got (not many) good reviews - seems to be grippy! That would be my main concern - those things can make even the best riders slip right off!

the best friends bareback is good.i have even put a fleece half pad under it for more cushioning and of course,no stirrups.

This is what I have. http://www.bestfriendequine.com/barebackpads.htm

Grippy. Comfy. Horse and I are happy.

I have a suede one with fleece on the underside. If i need pockets, I usually just put it over a pocket pad. If I had the spare change I’d like to try that thin line one. What I wish bareback pads had is some elastic on the girth, I think it would make it much more comfortable for the horse. Riding bareback is great for your balance. It’s a challenge though if I have to get off on a trail ride and I can’t find a rock or log to help me get back on. Maresy is 16.2 and I’m 50 and not so spry as I once was- but last time I had to, I somehow managed to do it!!!

I use a BestFriends also. If I was feeling a bit more flush, I might go for a Christ/Horse Dream bareback pad… they are amazing. And start at $399!

I have a cool back pad (http://www.doversaddlery.com/Coolback--High-Profile-Bareback-Pad/p/X1-19566/eid=X18A00U1005/?utm_source=shopz&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchantAdv&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=125&zmap=0019566001626X1-19566), but I got it for $25 brand new off the local craigslist.

It is nice, but the girth is really long/it puts the buckles up really high. (I use a 48-50 on my mare, and it’s on the top holes for her) Which is fine, unless you try to use it during the summer because it’s hot and you don’t want to wear breeches, and try and ride in shorts… you will completely destroy you inner calf in 10 minutes. I always put a saddle pad underneath it, and it doesn’t slip or anything though.

I love the BestFriends pads! Last Christmas I splurged on they ThinLine half pad which is just a black BestFriends with a TL pad sewn on top. It’s HEAVEN on my 16.3, big withered guy. My girlie parts approve!

I splurged many years ago and bought the Supracor bareback pad because I liked the saddle pad so much. At the time I paid less than $300, which is absurd except that it is so wonderful for the rider and the horse. The b/o and friends borrowed it for several days of riding at Acadia National park in Maine, and wound up fighting over it. Now it is used by the 15-year-old who is riding my horse. It is quite luxurious with a genuine wool underside, ultra suede seat, and real fleece trim. The girth and the pad it self both have Supracor inside. It also is machine washable. I believe the price has probably gone up exponentially, but if you do a lot of bareback riding you could justify it instead of a saddle.

If you want to do “homemade”, you can make your own. I got a latigo (6ft long) cinch strap for a western saddle, attached it to a western girth with a buckle end. Then you find a western saddle pad or thick blanket to put on the horse. Toss the combination girth/latigo strap over the horse and tighten the girth using the buckle on the girth.

I have used this arrangement for years to ride bareback when you don’t want your pants dirty or to start a colt wearing a girth and pad. You can tighten the girth during the ride if needed. I already had all the pieces, so nothing to purchase. One size fits all equines, though a shorter girth for a pony might be needed. You can tuck any extra latigo length up under the strap on the pad so it is not flapping around. I prefer the leather latigo over nylon cinch straps because leather is a bit grippier on the saddle pad. Nylon cinch strap works though, if that is all you have.

I own Best Friend Bareback Pad (Western- the one you are thinking about) and I like it for weekly self-induced “seat” lessons (approximately 30 min. ride, all gaits) or short rides around the property.

It is grippy and will help you to stay on, if your horse spooks.

I use it on the top of 1 inch wool pad, because of my skinny bony behind and my horse’s withers. We would not be happy campers truly bareback or even with just the bareback pad.

I used to ride in it a lot, but stopped, once I finally found a well fitting saddle.

Our horse has higher withers and the way the pad fits- it does not provide sufficient relief. Therefore, I ride with a looser cinch, which is OK, but not particularly safe.

Wither relief is something you should consider, when choosing a bareback pad, especially, if your horse has higher withers and you plan to ride longer distances.

I also used to own Christ Bareback Pad, which was very nice, but I bought the one with “knee blocks” (silly me) and they made the pad unusable, because of my conformation, so I sold it to someone more properly built for it.

If you plan serious riding in a bareback pad, I would recommend the one Skito makes. It has panels in pockets (you can customize depending of how much cushion you need), channel down the spine, and good wither relief (they have normal and high wither version).

It is more expensive than Best Friend, but, IMO, better product for extensive riding.

I love the Dura-tech bareback pad from Schneider Saddlery. It does not slip and has a decent amount of padding. I have used it on a 17 mile trail ride with no complaints! I think you can get one for less than $50.

These folks make an awesome pad. I ordered the English version, and the billets are long enough to use my dressage girth. If I recall they will make a high wither one on request; I just took mine to my saddler and had him make a cutback in it. Works perfectly. Also had D rings added for breastcollar and crupper. I could do an endurance ride with that setup!
http://www.silverdollarqh.com/bbpads.html

Like goodhors, I cobbled together a homemade version using a surcingle and thin cotton saddle pad.

Surcingle had a saddle so it did not shift sideways & the girth was a lot more reliable than a lot of the One Size Fits All shoddy ones on the cheaper bareback pads.

Not only kept my butt free of horsehair in warm weather, but fooled my TB who would often step away if I tried mounting him bare-bareback (w/o any pad).
In his mind, if he was wearing a girth, he was “saddled” & mounting manners stayed intact.

I had a Best Friends pad, but in a humid climate the nickle plated hardware rusted very badly within about a year. You might not (or might) have that problem in AZ, especially if your horse will be sweating. Check if they’ve changed to steel or something before you get one.

I recently borrowed the Thinline bareback pad from a girl in my barn (we’re both having saddle fit issues) and it is LOVELY! Even now that I’ve got the saddle sorted I would still love to get one, it’s grippy enough to do some serious work and very comfortable. I loved it!

I was lucky enough to find an awesome bareback pad for a decent price at the yearly tack sale we have. My absolute fav is this one :
http://www.elcompanero.com/Construction.htm
I can ride in shorts comfortably and it has ties for a cantel bag. It has molded to our shape, it is just so comfy. I do use just a thin saddle blanket, you don’t have to but it keeps it clean. I have never washed mine.

Asked for the Thinline bareback pad for Christmas and hubby came threw! http://www.doversaddlery.com/thinline-cmfrtplus-barebck-pad/p/X1-19794/
It too is very comfy, moreso in jeans. You do not have to use a blanket with the thinline, it is easy to just hose off.
Guess I could remove the foam from the El Campanero and put the thinline in it. would be the best of both worlds!

Wow, so much to look at…

Has anyone else had trouble with rust on the Best Friends?

Walktrot - When your friends fight over it, THAT’S a recommendation… Cheapest one I’ve found was $370. Bit of a difference between that and the Best Friends one on eBay. But if it’s worth it, and lasts… Has there been any change in the honeycomb plastic over the years? Has it become stiff or anything? You can probably see, I’m a bit tempted…

From the replies here, I’m glad I didn’t just get one of the cheepos.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input!

[QUOTE=SmartAlex;7668862]
This is what I have. http://www.bestfriendequine.com/barebackpads.htm

Grippy. Comfy. Horse and I are happy.[/QUOTE]

Do you think you could leave that mounting aide on 24/7? I think it would be nice when I have to retrieve my horses from the back 40 to have that to help get on and ride them back up and down those hills to the barn lol.

Yes, the buckles on my Best Friends BB pad has surface rust, not a huge deal to me, it isn’t significant or troubling to me… Mine is probably 4-5 years old? I use it about once a month or so, it’s as soft and pliable as ever.