Unlimited access >

Thoughts on equine massage therapy?? Is it worth it to get certified?

I currently manage a small farm and have been thinking about becoming certified in equine massage therapy. I don’t know many people who are certified so I’m not sure if it’s worth it?? I am really interested in it but I am not having luck with finding any hands-on courses in my area (Central or South jersey). I could do an online course but I don’t feel it would be as beneficial.

The classes seem to be pretty expensive to become certified so I would love to hear other people opinions on whether these massages really help their horses and if a lot of people are interested in them now a day! Any advice or info would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

While I’m not certified, I’ve started massaging my horse daily before and after our rides. I’ve read a few books, online articles, and watched videos, so I’m no professional. But, I have found that with each session I got better at figuring out what techniques worked for my horse. My horse is pretty “vocal” about how he feels so he was a great teacher for me. I have definitely noticed good changes in a few areas due to the daily massage. I still have a professional come out every now and then and she can tell where he’s made improvements since his last session with her because of my daily massages.

I would love to be certified so I could know what it is that I am feeling but for now, I just watch my horse to figure out if what I am doing is helping him or not.

Good to know…thank you!! I’ll definitely look into researching massages and learn a little bit more about it before I pull the trigger on the actual cert. course.

If you want to do this for money a certification course could be useful for your advertising.

If you just want to learn, a cheap fast online certification course might not be as useful as other learning materials such as books and DVDs and shadowing a good massage person.

1 Like