Unlimited access >

Thoughts on Ocala

What do y"all think about the WEC in Ocala? Do you think it will succeed? What is the lifestyle in the area year round? Would love your thoughts! Thank you!

I have lived here since '95. Ocala has really developed and the downtown area is thriving with great restaurants, fun bars, and lots of events (well, pre-covid…). We have dressage shows within an hour or two every weekend in the winter, and many during the summer. I do not know much about the H/J scene, except during HITS, now in its 40th year. I knw there are complaints about the HITS facility. THe Eventing scene is coming into its own, with a few recognized events, and a number of new facilities.
Now WEC is on the scene. I am sure you know about the dust up with USEF re: scheduling shows over the top of the HITS dates, and using the Snaffle BIt Assoc to “recognize” them. He now has a few USEF dates; I am sure he will eventually get the HITS dates, as he is giving away LOTS of prize money (and a car), and he gave away stalls for those who spent the season (the cost was deducted from entry fees). He is scheduling a series of dressage shows, recognized. The first few are managed by the same folks who manage our Nationals; they are training him and managment will go to him at (IIRC) the 4th show. He also ahs some CDIs scheduled, hoping to draw the Wellington crowd, both dressage and the Jumpers, here. He is NOT giving away stalls for the dressage shows (TWICE what the cost at our other local shows, Tues-SUn, just like we were jumpers… the shows are three day one show events.
He has boatloads of money and spends it wisely. THe facility is first rate, rather amazing in fact… and the COunty is giving him carte blanche for any zoning changes he wants (he is WAAAY outside the downtown, yet he got the COnvention center… ?) I believe after he gets the HITS dates he will set his sights on the dressage dates currently held by long-time local managers who are VERY AA friendly - his dressage shows are all “open” classes and more expensive per class as well. ANd before you ask, yes there are covered arenas and great footing at those other, current shows. (Not “climate controlled” indoor arenas tho, except for the one out in Jacksonville)
A friend showed last week at a dressage show. It was about a 7 min hack through the barns and alleyways “tunnels” to get to the arena from the stalls. It was a relativly small show.
THis weekend there was a show (a standard show, scheduled every year, "Dressage under the oaks) out at Grand Oaks, just east of Ocala. IT was a small one-arena show. In past years it has always been a two arena show. FOlks who were at WEC did not show…

IMO, and so it begins. We will be a one venue area from Tampa/Orlando to Jaxall the way up to Perry to the north, before long. He will run everyone else out of business then watch what happens.

I am not a fan because of his aggressive marketing “strategies” and attitude as it relates to getting dates . I like my local managers, they do a great job especially for AAs… I am not sure we are his market.

But it sure is a great facility.

ANd, I am scribing out there nex weekend…

4 Likes

Ah! Thank you - sounds a bit troubling… Hmmmm…

WEC will do just fine, and if it doesn’t, the owner has stated that he’ll simply use it to store his car collection. It’s his toy that he’s letting us use. Apparently he and USEF are talking again, so it looks like both parties will play ball for next year, especially if USEF changes the mileage rule.

All open? Centerline events usually splits into open and AA/JYR. Why would they stop now?Yes, the stalls are expensive - but I usually haul-in. There is no haul-in fee at WEC so these shows will be cheaper for me. I’ll be showing there in February and render final judgement then.

I’m not particularly worried about the other show series in the area. Canterbury - another dressage show ground in the area - is getting a complete renovation, and has plenty of dates scheduled. There are only a few dressage shows scheduled at WEC, compared to the rest of the calendar. A lot of people will be priced out of the WEC shows, unless they haul in and don’t get stalls. If the market splits the way I think it will - upper tier national/international professionals showing at WEC, locals at the other shows - we might see something like the white fences/Global dynamic in Wellington. Not bad, just serving different audiences.

I’ve lived here for three years, bought a house outside of Ocala. I’m fairly outdoorsy and like being able to kayak, hike, swim, etc, year round. The bugs can get a bit vicious, though. And summer is HOT. I’ll let you know what I think about property taxes in a year, but so far the cost of living has been quite low and horsey life is affordable for a single work-a-day-office-grunt like me.

It’s quieter in the summer, and I anticipate it getting very busy over the season with this new facility. Not like insane busy, but, you might wait 20 minutes for a table at a restaurant busy.

I’d say Gainesville has a bit more “culture” and is more metropolitan, but, I’ve seen some excellent musicians at the Reilly arts center. Before COVID my roommate and I used to go out and eat/see a show pretty regularly.

3 Likes

Yes the Reily has some great shows! Really enjoying how Ocala is developing culturally.

Centerline? These dressage shows are being run now by an outside manager who is training WEC folks to manage them in-house.
I am curious as to where the haul in trailer parking is… And I also think the white Fences/Wellington dynamic may be the outcome.

I saw Debra from Centerline Events was the show secretary so I thought Centerline Events was the managing company. I showed at their Saugerties shows when I lived up north and was excited to see them down here - they do a good job.

I think the trailer parking is by the paddocks…from what I’ve heard.

Looks like they split to Open and AA/JYR if there are 6 or more entries.

The only people I have heard complaining have never been. Everyone I know who is actually there is impressed.

1 Like

If housing / stabling generally cheaper in Ocala? If so, it might attract many of the mid-tier Canadian pros and their ammy clients who would like to train in FL for the winter but can’t justify the costs of Wellington.

I’m located midway between Orlando and Ocala; There have been numerous recognized options for dressage within an hour of me. WEC is just a bit further and will see it the first time in person tomorrow. I feel like I’m going to a luxury resort, lol. If I had to guess, I think it will change the showing options significantly. Some will drop off, some will hopefully survive. Current problem is that even here we now have shows almost every weekend for Jan and Feb, and maybe March. Too many for this market. Then things drop off. It is my hope that we pick up a few more in the April - Oct season.

1 Like

glad to hear they split it. Thanks for that info.

yes less expensive than Welly for sure.

1 Like

My understanding of Ocala vs Wellington was Eventing vs HJ and Dressage. Is that no longer the case?

No not really. There’s probably a lot of eventing options here that don’t I don’t believe exist in Wellington, however there’s also tons of H/J and Dressage in Ocala.

Wellington is definitely way more expensive all around - boarding costs, showing, etc.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the tips!

I have zero doubt WEC Ocala will succeed. I can’t think of a facility in the USA that compares.

Not sure when Ocala wasn’t also H/J , HITS has been here for decades.

1 Like

my husband’s business is thinking of purchasing a home in Tampa, seems like bringing my horse down to Ocala for a few months during winter could work nicely!!

4 Likes

My horse showed at WEC. We tried to get him and another horse added to the GO show but we were declined. Now we are back at WEC. We tried!!

1 Like

Ahhhhh, fun to read all these posts. I spent a couple winters working in Ocala in the late 1970’s when it was THE place for the east coast TB racing industry to winter. There were more NY state license plates than FL plates, and the town was maybe 9000 people. Good times!

1 Like