Thoughts on roach back

I’m looking to add to my lesson string and found a horse I like that has a roach back. Horse is 11, sound and moves well. No jumping experience that the seller knows of and I would put the training on the horse for that - very low level at 2’6” or below.

Any extra considerations? This would not be for resale hopefully and the horse’s price does reflect the conformation flaw.

I’d definitely spring for a good saddle fitter but other than that I wouldn’t be too concerned.

2 Likes

Anecdotally speaking, I’ve always heard they make good jumpers (kind of one of those horsemen’s old wives tails), but have no first-hand experience to add other than it wouldn’t turn me off. Good lesson horses are hard to find, so if it that’s the least of his issues, I’d go for it.

5 Likes

Rodney Jenkins, in one of his conformation evaluation videos, expressed that he liked a bit of a roach back.

Years ago I had an OTTB mare who had a bit of a roach back. Her accupunturist, the late Kerry Ridgeway D.V.M., said she had one of, if not the most, flexible spine he’d ever seen.

2 Likes

Heard that called a “Jumpers Bump” for many decades. Have had a couple it never bothered.

Its not attractive or ideal but based on OPs intended use, her experience level and how hard it is to find lesson horses? Would bring the trailer with me to try him. This assuming price reflects this obvious flaw and he does travel soundly and have the right disposition.

Thats a cute color and, from what I can see here, nice size and type for a lesson horse too.

1 Like

That looks a bit more like an old SI area injury than a true roach back because the slope of the back up to the pelvis doesn’t look very rounded to me.

I might take radiographs of the back if flexions and lower limb exam and back palpation are unremarkable to make sure there aren’t spinal changes that could limit the jumping goal.

This photo also doesn’t show his full posture. Being camped under or other abnormal stance due to a separate physical problem could create more of an appearance of a roached back.

3 Likes

Here’s a full photo.

Well the problem with a full photo is that he looks cute, and then everybody wants to you buy him.

He doesn’t look like he’s got much muscle—his neck and croup look pretty wasted—so I’d like to know how long he’s been out of work and maybe wonder if there is a reason why he’s not got basic muscling, and whether that has to do with his back or something else.

12 Likes

I agree that I see more of an SI issue and “hunters bump” than a true roach back. My guess is there will be some shortening of stride in the hind legs. Do you have a rear view to see if there is bilateral assumetry in the pelvis?

A horse like this would like benefit from slow rehab work including lateral work in hand and stretching to the bit. Also maybe an upgrade with protein and minerals for muscle. I’d also listen carefully to his back story and see if he’s had significant acute injuries or if this is chronic wear and tear.

3 Likes

Any video of him moving? Shopping for an entry level lesson horse on a budget requires compromise…pick your poison.

Here you go. Durn cute mover.

1 Like

Seems serviceable enough soundness wise. Ummmm…only thing that gives me pause is he seems a little…zippy. He may be fresh here or just really not had much work for some time but he seems stronger at the end after working then when he starts. Thats an accomplished and lovely rider and we can assume he was presented for this sales video best he could be. Usually they are prepped before filming and a little tired, this guy looks to want more.

Might be a bit too much horse for a lesson program. Or not, just a short video there, can be misleading. Would want to see a little more in person, maybe hop on and feel whats going on. Certainly worth a look.

He looks like he’s got some knee action and from his neck set in and throat latch, wonder if he’s got a little ASB or Morgan in there. What is he supposed to be?

4 Likes

They’re calling him QH which I’m not seeing at all. He reminds me of Andalusians I grew up riding.

I don’t need a beginner horse for my program, I need one that can jump around a little course with intermediate riders. Purchasing one that’s doing the job already is way expensive right now so I’m trying to be creative.

They’re also not selling him as a beginner horse, they acknowledge he has a motor, but reportedly no naughtiness. I’m thinking he’s worth a road trip to take a look.

7 Likes

Given the additional info, agree very much worth the look and a try out.

And the only thing here that hints at QH is the color. Those other types suggested show more presence and are bred and trained to show off more then the average QH, perhaps its not just a motor, maybe he enjoys his opportunity to work? Just a thought. He has a ton of expression once he’s warmed up, sure doesn’t look like anything hurts.

4 Likes

He is an absolute doll with excellent Western training, and likely used to good quality riding.

From an English dressage based perspective he is not really tracking up at all in walk or trot. He needs to be rushed into the canter from a fast trot. And there is something NQR about the swing of the RH. All of these could point to subtle SI issues as indicated by the strained pelvis lump on his back. However, you could likely improve all this through proper English gymnasticizing.

Western training is excellent on many aspects, but does not really have a component to improve gaits.

8 Likes

Agree that this looks like an SI injury. I would not buy this horse.

Been there, done that, would not recommend. It’s a ton of work to keep a horse like this fit enough to support their SI, if they stay sound at all. I had a horse with an SI injury (and a roached back). He was retired from jumping permanently after the injury was discovered. We spent a ton of time and money rehabbing him - massage, chiro, hills, pasture turnout, injections, careful work with a skilled rider - and he never really recovered enough to be a riding horse.

SI injuries do not mesh well with lessons/novice riders - these horses need to work properly through their bodies, all the time, in order to have enough support around their SI joint. That’s (in my experience) something a lesson program can’t really offer. I’m also not sure if this horse would stay sound jumping even low level fences, since he’s not jumping already.

2 Likes

OMG, he’s a saint. If you can afford to take him and get him into shape slowly, he certainly looks like he’d try his heart out for you! And if he’s not for beginner lessons, that’d be even better for him to be ridden properly vs. banged around on.

When shopping on a budget, one needs to take chances. Matter of risk assessment. Believe OP can make the best choice either way for herself after seeing and trying this one and going to look will not be a waste of time.

Otherwise, cant make any definite recommendation based on the limited information shared. Now, if OP was a naive beginner, I’d say no here, but shes no such thing.

2 Likes

Well, horse sales being what they are right now, while I’ve been dithering somebody else put a deposit on him. :smirk:

I told the owner to let me know if it doesn’t go through, but it looks like this boy will be hitting the trails with a new owner. Under 5k I’ve gotta move quick.

5 Likes

Ha! Wasn’t expecting to see a video of the place that is right down the road from my parents’ house. I just drove past there a few hours ago.

Are you local? I probably know you (or of you). I know the young lady riding the horse and the young man selling him. You may too.

Small world.