Unlimited access >

Thoughts on Senior Pony-trying to be proactive!

It seems I just had my gallant Arab (20+ year partnership) euthanized, although it was over 10 years ago; still have her ashes, yikes. Anyhow, her medium pony successor who I’ve now had for about 25 years, is now pushing 30. Her health is generally good i.e. has had ‘minor’ colic twice in past decade, and laminitis before that which was resolved as completely as possible (no soundness/weight issues since).

‘V’ has always been a busy and alert pony, canny and hard to startle; I’ve always wished I had her personality!! She’s slowed down somewhat especially in the past couple of years, and I monitor her carefully (trying not to obsess). Ponita has been on Prascend for the last 3-4 years, a half tablet /day for her size. She’s was also on CortaFlx Bio-Iso-G from 14ish to last year as a digital body scan showed slight ankle arthritis; the Corta is now discontinued, in Canada.

I have my wee beastie on Recovery currently, and she is sound. Two years ago I had her out for some 1-2 hour w/t/c hacks, and she was feisty. A year ago we went on shorter, slower rides because I(!) was injured; after the odd semi-gallop which was her idea, and made much shorter once I was able to pull the lil’ minx in, V was in a bit of respiratory distress the next morning.

This happened once, and thought it might be an anomaly, but after a couple of weeks it happened again, so definitely cut out those happy bolts of hers. The vet who looked after her for 20 years retired recently, and I now have a good but no nonsense vet who I don’t have a ‘chatty bond’ with-just when I need to ask more questions!

Obviously V is getting on, but as mentioned is looking and doing very well for her age. Last year I didn’t ride much due to very hot weather (and more of MY injuries!), so we just walked a lot, by hand and riding, along with some trotting and very brief canters. I used to distance ride with my Arab, and like to think I am fairly aware re: horse care.

I took care of V at my own farm for about 20 years, and have now been boarding her out at a small stable for close to a decade or so. As anyone who’s gone through the ‘own farm’ to boarding, it wasn’t an easy transition for me; V was fine! But I’m thankful she’s at a barn with a watchful barn owner who cooperates with with on feed/meds/blankets et al.

At this point I’m just playing things by ear; my Arab had bone on bone arthritis at 18, and was a pasture puff for another 10 years, but Ponita has thus far been a going concern, albeit slowing down a bit. The big spring vet visit is coming up in a while, and I know unless I press the issue, new vet will just do the basics.

What I’d really like is an equine geriatric expert; although we are an hour from Canada’s first veterinary university, that’s unlikely to happen. When V first went so slight lame years ago, I trailered her up to a top vet (she was in x ties next to a Grand Prix jumper!), but that’s not feasible now. I’m wondering what feedback anyone on here may have, in terms of how to help V continue to age in comfort?

I’d really like to do anything proactively, rather than waiting for something to pop up. And, I realize stuff can happen at any time; I take that philosophy as a human who doesn’t bounce as well as I used to (although since taking up lifting heavy weights with an Olympic bar in our back shed, my body is much more dense and strong i.e. was thrown from my mtn bike last summer and slammed the centre of my chest onto a thick wooden post…mewed in self pity briefly/body still worked/biked for another hour which is likely more stupid than admirable!!).

Apologies for length of post, and hope everyone has not zzzzz’d out by now! Appreciate any suggestions/comments! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No suggestions, but I want to be reincarnated (and retire) as one of your horses!

It sounds to me like you’re already giving her the best opportunity to age in comfort! She sounds like she’s receiving top notch care!

For my Senior Small Pony (25, spent 20 years as a lesson pony doing 3+ lessons a day before retiring to me), I continue to take him on hand walks (ok more like walk 5 feet, let him graze for a few minutes, then walk a few more feet while he decides where to graze next) and engage him in his favorite ground work activities so that he stays active/feels like he has a job. For his joints and hopefully allowing him to move and play as he wants, I have him on a joint supplement, and bute as needed (mostly for holding his feet up for the farrier). I also soak all his feed because as he’s gotten older his teeth have started to fail him.

If your girl feels up to a ride then I would ride her! You ultimately know your girl, clearly give her the best care possible and have her best interests at heart. When I asked my vet what to do with my old guy her response was to do whatever he wanted and felt up to. Some days I want to hand walk him but he seems off/sluggish, other days I take him out to walk and it’s like walking a pony kite.

‘O_M_D’ and B’Worm :slight_smile:, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I too would like to be my horse, haha; so many butlers eat crappier food/have crappier clothes/hair care/dental work ETC. than their charges. I’ve also thought I could use some therapy for my subservience to equines issue…but I can’t afford it 'cuz my pony’s in analysis!!

Sounds like B’Worm (me too-bibliophile :slight_smile:) is giving small pony a very nice retirement, too. Luckily V still has good ‘choppers’ for feed, and occasional friendly nips when she feels the treats and adulation are slowing down. Nothing painful, just a little reminder, sigh.

‘Pony kite’ heehee-handled a lot of hotter horses like that!

Senior Pony update…just plotzing along through the winter mud and snow, pony has good aspect and all day turnout with congenial pony friend + cozy stall at night. However, feel completely ‘all over the map’ after recent visit of DVM/Chiropractor. She comes to the barn every month, and the barn owner is a big fan. I’m sure this vet etc. knows her stuff, but my BO gets into certain enthusiasms for farriers/vets, which don’t always end up well.

I have my own nice, reliable farrier and the vet I’ve had for over a decade-before BO banned him, so now I use her vet (he’s okay, and although I tried to think of a way around the ridiculous ‘ban,’ it’s complicated!). So, this past week Supervet/chiro came, and I decided to have her assess my pony. For starters, not much of a stallside manner!

I’d kept an open mind, and really wanted to like this vet, but all I really heard after a 10 min. exam was “This pony should not be ridden!” (I retired her last year), “Her body’s falling apart!” and “She can’t keep herself together!” I really wanted some clarification, but didn’t get any, to say the least.

Obviously, a pushing 30 years pony is pretty geriatric, but this mare still tries to get out of her stall, aspires to knock me over for treats, and drags me along on turn in. Very feisty and pushy! We did taper down her rides over the past coupla years, but she was still fighting to do her speed demon thing. I don’t mean to make her sound difficult; she has been a charming and canny pony for the 25 years I’ve had her.

She’s on Prascend and a ‘light’ joint supplement, and sound; I’m sure she feels a bit stiff and sore, but I would too if I was 80ish. Oh, who am I kidding, I often feel like a wreck in my 50’s! I know I can’t turn the clock back, but having been told in my 30’s that I would always have back problems 'cuz I was just skinny-which sent me out to buy Dr. Hamilton Hall’s back doctor book classic. Within a month of strengthening exercises, my back was fine.

I even went on to powerlift heavy weights (i.e. 225 lb deadlift at 100 lbs.), HA! Re: pony, I would really like to get a second opinion from a patient vet or chiro or ?? I’m near Niagara Falls, Canada and am having some trouble locating someone; if I was near Toronto, no problem, sigh. Any ideas on where to go from here? I just want to do the best by my pony in her retirement… Thanks for any thoughts!

We have one pony whose age is “over 40” which has been his age for a long time. When my daughter got him twenty years ago, his age was stated by a very reliable source as mid 20s.

His current life is he has his paddock next to the miniatures, he is presented unlimited senior feed, alfalfa pellets that have been hydrated (no teeth)…and most important is that he gets his five iced oatmeal cookies at normal feeding time (otherwise he goes on a hunger strike not eating anything).

He pretty much looks the same as when he came here, still sound, not used other than to be petted/brushed and babysit the miniatures

Vet sees him about twice a year along with the others.

In the last decade we have had four horses that have developed chronic heath issues which lead to euthanizing, every time we call the vet his first thought is the pony is dying . No, he is fine but it is another.

2 Likes

Great to hear about your 40ish pony!! Thanks for the positive information, as opposed to vet/chiro kinda rudely stating, “Your pony is falling apart!” with no real clarification. Here’s to senior equines :slight_smile: !

As long as she wants to go I would ride her. I remember we had a lesson pony in her 30’s who was great for beginners and she went along happily until she passed.
I wouldn’t waste my money/ time on a vet like that. Haul your pony into the vet of your choice.

Thanks again for aged pony thoughts to all! Spent last weekend stressed and searching for resources at hand. At some points my buzzing thoughts came together, and ‘spit’ out the name of vet I had for ponita and other horses about 12 years ago!

I wasn’t sure if this supernice and experienced equine vet practised in my area; I also thought he’d semi retired, but not yet, yay. He’s scheduled to see ponyface next week, and I’m so relieved. He knows the pony, and he ‘gets me’ e.g. not put off by babbling :)!!

Whatever he says/tests, I know I can trust him, and he’s so pleasant; everybody’s fave vet! Will post after his visit (annual float, shots etc. being done as well). Doc Tom for Prime Minister!

1 Like

Well, Doc Tom was out yesterday, in his clean rubber boots/overall/mask (on of 2 vets I’ve ever had for my equines who takes infection control etc. seriously, always). He wasn’t in a rush; gave Ponyface a thorough going over, asked feed/behaviour/meds questions. In short, a really good visit.

I was careful to emphasize to the barn owner/horse friend, that I wasn’t scrambling for someone to refute the brusque vet/chiro, and tell me to get my saddle out yeehaw. Just searching for a more complete picture and more guidance, in order to have due diligence re: best plan for pony.

Ultimately, Tom concluded that she looked very good for her age; Prascend since Ponita was 25 has definitely helped. He felt her muscle tone/weight/aspect were good, and teeth don’t need floating this year, yay.

Tom did find that her range of motion in her near front leg was not terrific, although she showed no pain having each foot lifted. I had Ponita on Bio-Iso-G for about a decade (prescribed by a Grand Prix vet ‘great leg guy.’

Alas, Bio… is no longer available in Canada as of last spring, so I’ve had pony on a msm/gluc et al. powder. Tom suggested Previcoxx especially if riding, but not a continual dose if possible. This made sense to me, as post Bio… I worried about things, although Ponyface has shown no over signs of lameness or pain.

We-uh, meaning vet!-pulled bloods for a complete look at things (i.e. kidney function, and whatever else), and Ponita had her shots. Again, all very thorough and low key; unlike the vet/chiro, I had no need of a discreet cry and big dose of dark chocolate.

Obviously the jury is out on riding (would be very light, if feasible), but I feel much more relief from my lil’ mare having an app’t with the fabulous Doc Tom. I’ll be interested in the results of the blood test i.e. no NSAIDS if kidney issue, and just in general.

I feel I did the ‘right’ thing in calling in a calm and experienced vet who’d seen Ponyface before, and I’m not vibrating with stress. I’ll check in with CBC results, but for now, the situation is stable haha, and we’ll see how things go.

(Pony will probably get an all clear, and I’ll find a way to acquire a new and interesting injury for myself; the way I was flung off my mtn bike and landed with force on the very middle of my chest onto a 2 foot high tree stump-fortunately flat on top-last summer is nothing I care to repeat…although I did finish another hour of biking after determining I was still in one piece!)

1 Like

I have a 30+ pony. She’s on Cur-OSt for arthritis. Any good curcumin/boswellia supplement would be good. Similar anti-inflammatory without the GI risk of previcox. She has a Back on Track sheet that she’ll wear when needed. Even though this past winter was colder she didn’t needed. Blankets for when needed.

IME daily exercise at her own pace has been extremely helpful for my pony. She goes out for a 1/2 mile walk on a track every day, and she’ll get more opportunity for self exercise as it gets warmer.

If you can get a GOOD chiro, that can help too. Though daily self exercise & keeping up with her feet could help more.

Well, most recent update has pony blood tests all coming back and looking good (right amount of Prascend, CBC & kidney function etc. all ok).I have just started her on Previcox, so no reports of effects yet. She’s come through the winter/spring in Ontario well, and am just in the middle of fuzz removal, ee.

The farrier who’s looked after Ponita’s tootsies for a decade came out to trim her the other day (with his semi retired Dad), and they both thought her muscle tone etc. was def very good for her age; ‘dad’ thought she was maybe 20.

All good indications, but I’ll still be monitoring her closely re: any light riding. And ABDR4, appreciate the mention of Cur-OSt; check it out to see if available in Canada. When I had to bute my old Arab distance mare in her last year, I also dosed daily with Omeprazole.

I know a few people who dose with Previcox for months at a time; Doc Tom suggested 5 days on/2 off. Does anyone else use this regimen? Hope the mud is not too bad for everyone-gotta enjoy the time before fly season!!

1 Like