Unlimited access >

Thoughts on Stallion Cabalito

I am looking at purchasing an in-utero Cabalito foal. The dam is AHS registered and out of stallion “For Feeling”. She jumps with pretty nice form but I would like to improve her canter. She is floaty but I would like a little freer shoulder for canter and more scope at the jump. She has a nice build she seems to pass to her offspring. Great temperament. I haven’t seen many of Cabalito’s foals so I’m asking your opinion. I want a good temperament, great jump, and nice build (I would like to do Hunter Breeding his first few years). This future foal will be shown in the hunters. Perhaps one day the 3’6 (although most likely the 3’3) so he will need to be competitive (obviously I know this is a gamble and EVERY foal is different but I am just trying to see if any of you have seen successful Cabalito offspring in such divisions). What are your opinions on Cabalito. Does he refine or add bone? Does he throw scope or not so much? Temperament? I know very little of him other than what is on the website. Feel free to PM me if you wish to remain private.

I have seen a dozen or so. All quite nice. I can’t say whether he adds bone, nor refines because I don’t know the marelines, but everything I have seen is attractive and not extreme in either direction. I know one Percheron cross with him and is thicker boned as expected yet still attractive. TB crosses more refined and nice as well, again as expected.

There are several successful competing offspring around Texas in hunters. I believe last year’s pre-green champion Zone 7 was a Cabalito. Scope is there for your needs and everything I have seen or heard of is ammy friendly. Anne Hedge at Whitehedge Farm could share her knowledge.
He had a nice Sallie B. Wheeler winner this year, maybe two if I recall. There are also Cabalito’s competing in dressage.

If the mare of the in-utero foal is to your fancy, odds are great you will be pleased with the outcome. He is not a stallion I would be scared of for breeding hunters if the mare paired well.

I have a cabalito!! I also owned the dam, so I know exactly what came from where. My mare is a definite improvement on her mom. Mom was very fancy and won a lot but didn’t have a huge stride and had a shorter neck. Pretty old school warmblood. Daughter is very huntery, lovely mind, decent work ethic (her dam had no work ethic!). Her faults are-slightly downhill, probably from the dam, and a little bit of a bigger head(still nice looking). She is flashy, fancy, adorable at the jumps, loose shouldered, and easy peasy. I’m an amateur and I had zero problems with raising her, backing her, and literally teaching her everything she knows. She is very sound ( knock wood) and just had a lovely filly last year. I’m bringing her back to work to show again in the A/Os-lower. I hope this helps! I would definitely check one out if I was in the market.

The mare is BY For Feeling and out of?? To me, this is the part of the pedigree I would like to know more about.
IMHO, Cabalito is lovely.

I know Cabalito well and have seen, and ridden several offspring. Cabalito has a fantastic temperament - very ammy/junior friendly, which he definitely passes to his offspring. He has scope to spare, so no issues there. He had a lovely free canter, and his youngsters that I’ve seen have it as well. As someone mentioned, they also do well as youngsters in hunter breeding.
I’d take one in a hot second for the hunter ring… You’ll have a fancy moving and jumping, level headed, ammy friendly equine partner. :slight_smile:

I have a Cabalito baby as well. He is HUGE, way bigger than his momma, but she tends to throw big babies too. Very ammy friendly, quite fancy and attractive. A bit of a tricky ride due to his size and quietness, needs a LOT of external motivation as he has little to none, jumps quite cute but due to lack of motivation, not super forgiving of “oopsie” distances over bigger fences. Conformation wise - the only thing I would change is that he has a fairly flat croup and his neck is a touch on the shorter side, BUT he is very compact back-to-front and the slightly shorter neck makes him very rideable for a smaller ammy like myself, and he is naturally very balanced.

Overall, knowing what I know about him now, I would buy him all over again without a doubt. Bought him as a greenie just started over fences and done much of the work myself, with some pro rides over fences during his bratty teenage phase and this past show season he was shown by a pro.

I have met Cabalito and several of his offspring. As others have said there are a lot of them here in North Texas. There were three Cabalitos at the last George Morris clinic that was held here.

Cabalito has a super temperament. Anne’s 11 year old daughter rides him. He seems to pass on that temperament to his foals. One thing you will see with Cab foals is that the people who buy them tend to go back for another one later on which to me speaks volumes about a stallion’s get. He also produces performance hunters with plenty of scope as well as hunter breeding stars. Search him on USEF and you can see the results.

If you reach out to Anne I am sure she would be happy to answer your questions. Good luck with whatever you decide.