Unlimited access >

Thoughts on these OTTBs?

Really like Acceptable Henna. Love the way she pushes off the ground in her video, looks like she has some power. Hope you hear back soon, good luck with your search!!

Acceptable Henna - My friend has a Capote baby (who looks a lot like this mare), and she competes him Prelim. He will easily go Intermediate, he has a FABULOUS jump.

Acceptable Henna–hocks rather straight, downhill, otherwise ok.

Unbridled Reed–very downhill, otherwise lovely.

Sun Ghost–eh. Pictures make it hard to tell. Looks straight behind and a bit long in the body.

Flashy Player–probably nicer in person. Photo angle plus socks make his legs look tiny and poorly conformed. Gorgeous butt.

I thought you had decided not to buy a horse right now, especially after your last experiences and your announcement at the end of your leasing thread?

I think if you do want a horse, an OTTB might not be your best choice based on the limited turnout where you are.

[QUOTE=blame_the_champagne;7084809]
I’m casually in the market for a new event horse, although I’ve had some rough luck vetting OTTBs. However, the budget shopper and lover of fairy tale endings in me can’t help but browse…

What do you think?

I’m looking for a low-level event prospect. Something sound with decent conformation and a good brain would be great. Live in SoCal, but willing to ship, especially if a fellow COTHer could go see if for me :wink: Thanks![/QUOTE]

Go on a road trip & ride Green Cat - I suspect you’ll be much happier looking at horses that have been already let down & that you are able to ride/try rather than directly off the track, where you can only watch a jog, do (another) PPE, then buy.

I hope is all well with you :slight_smile:

Love the first mare and Unbridled Reed. Good luck.

No, is Joe someone I can just google? You could PM his contact info if you have a sec. I always prefer working with a reference!!! Thanks.

[QUOTE=alto;7086039]
Go on a road trip & ride Green Cat - I suspect you’ll be much happier looking at horses that have been already let down[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I’ll take a look : ) I’m actually five months pregnant, so fresh off-the-track is fine because all I would be able to do for six months is let-down, turn-out, ground work, lunge work, cuddles, and pampering. I’m not in any hurry this round, like I was the last time I looked, but I want to be open to the right horse if it fell in my lap. If it takes six months or a year, that’s fine too.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7086032]
I thought you had decided not to buy a horse right now, especially after your last experiences and your announcement at the end of your leasing thread? [/QUOTE]

Yes, I’m still not totally decided either way. I’ve been horseless for six months and have realized that I can do it, but that I don’t enjoy it (although the extra $$$ each month is nice!). I’ve scribed at dressage shows, watched a lot of UL cross-county footage, and cleared out some of the books on my horsie to-read list. I am much more content with the fact that there’s no horse in my life right now and I don’t feel the same sense or urgency (ahem, perhaps even desperation) that I did before. I feel peaceful about my current state, but also open to the possibility of having a horse back in my life…now or eventually.

Regarding the turn-out situation, I have many friends who own happy, healthy OTTB’s at my barn and others in my area with the same land situation. I agree that it’s not ideal (I would love 200 acres of rolling green pasture, as some COTHERs are lucky enough to have), but I also don’t feel wrong about doing it. For the let down period, if I bought straight off the track, I actually do have a 200 acres of rolling green pasture boarding situation that I’d consider for a few months (although it’s a couple hours from my house, which would be sad but possibly worth it).

[QUOTE=alto;7086039]
Green Cat - I suspect you’ll be much happier looking at horses that have been already let down & that you are able to ride/try rather than directly off the track, where you can only watch a jog, do (another) PPE, then buy.[/QUOTE]

He’s adorable! I love the way they’ve started him–obviously have taken their time. Seems very mellow. I’ll inquire, but I wonder if he’s $$$ since he’s already so grown up.

[QUOTE=blame_the_champagne;7087234]
He’s adorable! I love the way they’ve started him–obviously have taken their time. Seems very mellow. I’ll inquire, but I wonder if he’s $$$ since he’s already so grown up.[/QUOTE]

Definitely ask about Green Cat! He’s fancy for sure. I’ve never seen a CANTER Owned horse listed for TOO much - I bet he’s more affordable than ya think. CANTER CA Also just posted a big guy with a nice floating trot named Stony Creek (hasn’t been started yet - but fully rehabbed/let down).

[QUOTE=blame_the_champagne;7087211]
No, is Joe someone I can just google? You could PM his contact info if you have a sec. I always prefer working with a reference!!! Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Here’s Joe info, from the TB Friends web page (that he used to maintain daily and doesn’t any more, he’s now a twitter dude):

My cell number is 530-383-2120.

Our mailing address is:
Joe & Cathy Shelton
15891 County Road 92C
Woodland, Ca. 95695

You can send your letters to
tbfriends@aol.com

Check in with me on Twitter. Joe
Shelton@Tbfriends

What about This Guy? Cute mover, flashy, not spendy, seems nicely put together from the less-than-stellar photos.

Based on All of your previous Threads and the latest asking how other people do it…and then what you had to spend previously dwindle with bad PPE’s…It looks like you are still not solvent enough to do this, one setback and you are not going to recover…

I like Acceptable Henna & Gold Medal Ribbon.

Henna’s look is all class to me.

So this is just my input, those that have replied before me have much more experience than I so take it with a grain of salt.

The mare- she look straight behind to me and it showed in her video.

Sun ghost-even straighter behind, I would worry about soundness issues.

Unbridled Reed- would be worth looking at in person. I have the initial impression his “parts” don’t match up (i.e. his front, middle and hindend) however that could be the pictures.

Kid Atlantic- I like his pic and since you dont mind less than 16h he would be worth looking at.