Thumb Arthritis surgery?

I have had arthritis in the joint at the base of the thumb in both hands for a long time. Meds, splints, joint supplements, hand exercises, Acupuncture, over time I have used all to manage the condition. Now, I am told hand surgery is the only option. I am very concerned about whether the leading procedure, LRTI, will leave the joint stable enough to withstand rein contact. The doctors ideas of “activities of daily living” don’t include much about dressage. Has anyone had surgery for this condition and lived to ride afterwards successfully?

I’m waiting to hear how surgery goes! I also have arthritis of my one thumb i several lower joints. Nobody believes how painful it is! My Celebrex worked on the knees but never touched my thumb pain. Had to stop the arthritis meds for a bleeding ulcer and family doc gave me an Rx for prescription Voltaran. OTC is 1.19% - this stuff is custom compounded locally and is 25%! Works great and lasts a loooong time.

I’m following this as well. The pain is horrible at times. The doctor says to fuse it or do a joint replacement. Once I’ve had the surgery, she tells me I won’t be able to ride. She rides herself, so unfortunatly she maybe right. I’m too am hoping someone has had the surgery can chime in.

I had LRTI on my right thumb 5 years ago. I had lots of pain before that made it very hard to work (I’m a software programmer so I’m at a keyboard all day.)

The surgery was not bad, but the PT afterwards was very painful! I didn’t get the full range of motion back to my thumb joint (the middle knuckle doesn’t bend as far) but it doesn’t interfere with anything. No problems holding reins (single or double) and no more pain. I’ve started having the same pain in my left hand recently so it may only be a matter of time until I have to get it done on that hand too.

Two things, it did leave my right thumb joint where it meets the wrist with a slightly different shape. I have very bony hands/wrists, so it probably wouldn’t be as noticeable on other people. And secondly, the spot in my arm where they took out the ligament sometimes gets a weird “cramping” feeling when I’m swimming hard (I do triathlons, so I swim 4 days/week for about 3000-4000m.) It doesn’t always get the crampy feeling, and it doesn’t stop me from swimming, just is a weird feeling. Just thought I’d mention that in case it was a concern for you. Oh, and I have no pain in my right hand now, so it did solve that problem!

Jumper fun, how long was the recovery?

Hm, now you’re going to make me test my memory… I know I was in a cast for 5-6 weeks after, which is really a pain in the @$$ because your thumb is immobilized and your really begin to realize how important an opposable thumb is. Then the PT, which seems like it was about 4 weeks total? I think you might be able to ride within a few weeks of getting the cast off (just guessing here, I really don’t recall when I got back on after the surgery) but you will want to be careful because falling or having a horse jerk on the reins or a lead rope could really hurt until you get some strength back in the hand.

But as far as NEVER being able to ride again? Pshaw… Assuming your doc is talking about an LRTI and that my experience is normal, you should definitely be able to ride again. In fact, I remember my doc saying that the only thing that might be a problem would be certain types of weightlifting (really high weights) due to the ligament that they pull from the arm being removed.

JumperFun, thanks for posting your experience. My biggest concern is whether the LRTI thumb will be strong enough to hold up to riding. The procedure description has always sounded dubious to me for the kind of strain handling horses can put on hands. I also have been worried about the effects of harvesting tendon from the arm. Have put off this surgery twice in the past over these concerns, and over what I was told could be 4-6 months of rehab.

Flypony, your doctor’s warning about not being able to ride after – my worst fear. What kind of procedure?

My latest x-rays are gloomy – severe degeneration of the basal joint in the left hand. Seeing a hand surgeon in mid-January.

I am guessing that she was maybe meant I couldn’t gallop racehorses. She wasn’t clear , just said riding. They take more hold than anything else. Plus they will stumble from time to time and jam your thumb. That likely how the problem started.