Thumbs up for injections

If anyone is contemplating facet joint injections - I had 4 done on Tuesday and am now able to stand up straight and walk without significant pain.

Will be doing PT as well.

Oh - here’s a free piece of advice for the nincompoops on the BB.

If you have a really bad back - do NOT play hopscotch with your 10 year old niece. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it!

I’ve been contemplating getting my SI joint injected. The pain clinic offered that as the next logical step for me, but I’ve been a little nervous about it. Although I had my knees done years ago with good results, somehow the thought of poking near my spine really freaks me out.

Your results are encouraging, though, so maybe I’ll have to stop whining and suck it up and have it done :lol:

PT has helped a lot, but I still have a lot of lingering lower back pain.

Guess it’s good my son’s not a hopscotch player. The worst thing I did recently was insist on standing through a whole rock concert a few weeks ago. Just wasn’t ready to be one of those old fogies who sits quietly for it, and boy was my vanity killing me the next day :lol:

Thankfully riding doesn’t seem to aggravate it most of the time, though the other day I was pretty sore, and my mare seemed pretty okay with just walking around for a while :slight_smile:

Okay, I did it! Today I went in and got my SI joint injected. So far so good.

Sunday my youngest mare stepped on a nail, a short one, off to the side of her foot, thank goodness. Vet x-rayed, pulled it out, and said to treat it like an abcess. So I’ve been soaking and poulticing this week. BO offered to help, and I told him I might need his help today, since I was going in for them this afternoon. When I showed up, he checked in with me to make sure I was okay, and I told him that I couldn’t feel my left butt cheek, but it wasn’t much of a handicap :lol:

Gosh, it’s amazing sometimes how much pain we can put up with. Sometimes I just get so used to things hurting that it’s like I forget what it’s like to not be in pain.

Of course, the short-term numbing agents are still working somewhat, but I’m hopeful that after they wear off, and the anti-inflammatories start working that I’ll continue to have some relief.

Now, if my mares will just stop trying to kill themselves, maybe I’ll be good to go :lol:

Thanks for sharing your encouraging experience JSwan, hope you’re feeling well these days.

The Dr injected my trochantear bursa, I think, or something around the top of my hip, June a year ago.
I was getting where I was afraid to move, because at times it would get a catch that would immobilize me, sometimes with a leg up midstep.

That one injection, that he said it was just something to try, may not work, would help diagnose what may be wrong, has kept me catch free all this time.:cool:
A year later I have felt a minimal catch, maybe twice a month, not even close to the real thing and he said we can repeat that shot any time it may become a problem again.

All I have to say is that I felt like a horse that was injected and keeps on ticking.:lol:

Now, the Dr injected my shoulder and that didn’t seem to do anything for it, will need surgery.:frowning:

Second (or third) the thumbs up for joint injections. I practically crawled into the ortho’s office, and danced out after having my hip injected.

I’m sure I’ll be next in line once we figure out the source of my hip pain.

X rays Monday showed minor arthritis in the lower back but no hip problems, yet I haven’t been able to sleep without leg support for weeks. Aleve or no Aleve.
One of the super aspirins and Lortabs have done a lot to increase my comfort level, now I have to remember to stop limping, I’m so used to hurting I just shorten my stride automatically, what Wayside was referring to I think. I guess MRI is in my future, and PT and down the road maybe injections, I’m glad such things are available.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better!

I had my first of 3 intra-articular knee injections (Euflexxa), and omg - I finally am feeling better! I don’t want to kill things anymore! And I rode my horse in a hunt-seat saddle for the first time in over a year! No knife-like pain in the joint for the first time in years makes me a super happy camper!
:slight_smile: J

o.k. - it’s now 3+ weeks later - I just had my 3rd intra-articular knee joint injections and I am walking upright now. I actually feel like I can start to handle things now, that just a few weeks ago were overwhelming. Less Pain is definitely making my life more bearable. However, now I took the time to look at all the saddles I have & make the decisions of which ones I need to sell, because either they don’t fit me well or the horses dislike them… wow - a few weeks ago I couldn’t have even hauled the saddles out of the tack-room!
YEAH for temporary joint injections!

See and I had IA Joint Injections and they didn’t work :no: I had both Supartz and Synvisc injections in an effort to “lubricate” my knee that has Grade 3 osteoarthritis.

I was so hoping they would work too. We first did the Supartz which is commonly used as the step before knee replacement for some relief. 5 injections and I still had the problems I did before. About a year later after a long battle with my insurance company I go the 3 Synvisc injections. Same thing didn’t work.

Believe me I wanted them to work as I HATE needles…but no my body hates me!

JMHO!

For what it’s worth; synvisc often doesn’t have peak effect for weeks or up to 3 months after you’re injected. So you have to be patient. Often that initial pain relief is from the Lidocaine they mix it with. But that wears off in days and the lubricant does it’s thing. Slowly the irritation & inflammation can decrease by your bodys own processes and it helps. You have to be patient and lucky are those with instant relief!

[QUOTE=wateryglen;5093807]
For what it’s worth; synvisc often doesn’t have peak effect for weeks or up to 3 months after you’re injected. So you have to be patient. Often that initial pain relief is from the Lidocaine they mix it with. But that wears off in days and the lubricant does it’s thing. Slowly the irritation & inflammation can decrease by your bodys own processes and it helps. You have to be patient and lucky are those with instant relief![/QUOTE]

The Supartz was done about 3 years ago and the Synvisc about 1 1/2 years ago.

I gave both over 6 months but didn’t feel any relief.

I am having my second hip injection tomorrow. The first was in April and didn’t do much to help, but now my discomfort level is worse.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will have the effect yours had, Bluey. If not, I will have to sell or lease out my horse.:sadsmile: