Unlimited access >

Tie post/wall design

(I was writing this and on the phone while the last several comments were posted) The space I have is 12’ x 12’, can’t be bigger. Front is completely open at present; a corral panel with a 6’ wide gate can be added including with wood across the openings between the bars. Now is the time to get any posts added, so I’m thinking of having 3 posts set, one along the back wall, centered, for straight tying, and then 2 along the sides, for at least getting horses gradually used to cross tying under carefully supervised circumstances. Straight tying almost all of the time.

For a 12 foot space, how far back from the front would you set the crosstie posts? If an average horse length nose-to-tali is 8 feet, and there’s 12 feet of space in the area, and horses would face forward, would you set the posts back e.g. 2 feet from the front? Then, there’s 8 feet of horse followed by 2 feet of clearance behind the horse, to the rear wall. Is that enough? What would be best?

This discussion is helping a lot with optimizing the space; I’m extremely grateful for the comments. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: the barrier gate looks like a good solution to having some barrier while still allowing escape! COTH Brain Trust rocks!

1 Like

Great plan! I’d set back the post 3 ft from front edge. :slight_smile:

I just wanna say you’re such a good horse mom. I agonized over all of this myself and really researched what was best for my space, how high, how far apart, how deep to set posts, just as you are doing! I also never meant you SHOULD have crossties ANYWHERE. but, when you’re getting a post hole digger and quickcrete, if you wanted to do all at once it could be helpful. I adapted all I could to what was best. I have three sets of crossties and in each stall have a single tie ring when needed or preferred. I think you’ll enjoy whatever you proceed with for your own desires and your own horses. :slight_smile:

Simkie, 3’ setback from the front for the crossties sounds good for this reason: if a crosstied horse went back, presumably their rear would contact the back wall before they feel pressure on the crossties.

Also, if the crossties have enough slack, the horse could stand a little forwards, so there would be 2-3 feet of clearance behind during normal working conditions.

Yep! IME, horses stand forward of where the ties connect to the wall. 2’ back from the front has them right at the edge of the grooming stall. 3’ gives you more room.to keep the horse inside the space :slight_smile: