Unlimited access >

Time it takes to jump over 4ft

To be fair though, the OP asked about competing. There is a big difference between jumping 4’(ish) at home and jumping a course at a show. I could probably get my large pony to jump a 4’ vertical at home if I really tried, but I’m not going to be taking him around the low AOs any time soon. That isn’t to say that doing the low junior/AOs is an impossibility, it obviously isn’t, but saying “oh well I jumped that at home one time on my horse so anyone can do it” is not really a valid comparison.

12 Likes

There was a young woman at my barn who showed in the 3’ AA, leased an older horse at our barn - jumped around 2’6" and sometimes up to 3’ didn’t show much though. Then she got a job w/ foreign service so stationed outside US. No hunters where she was, just jumpers. Needless to say she went from 2’6" up the levels in pretty short time - though where she rode, the horses had the talent, she was capable and confident. She’s now starting in some GP classes. I want to say 4-5 years from 2’6’ to 1.5m

3 Likes

And once again the limiting factor goes away once you leave the USA.

I am working to try to get a few more 1.20 classes added in my area. I have already seen some people start pushing higher and I hope we can see it continue. You can be a solid rider with an average horse and jump around at least 1.15m (3’9") and carry on. I really see it coming down to believing that you can do it, more than sitting on a 6 figure horse.

But that’s me.

Em

5 Likes

Interesting discussion thread but without any specifics on where OP is staring from and resources, all it generates are assumption based hypotheticals. Which may have been the intention as opposed to asking for personal help.

Somewhere between 2 and 20 years.

2 Likes

However long it takes to save up for a horse that can jump 4ft, that’s kind enough to take you with them. Good balance and deep pockets? You could be jumping 4ft in a gymnastic in 6 months. Poor with no rhythm? Might never get there.

2 Likes

When did we get to the point that only an expensive horse can jump a 4’ (or above) course?

Emily

4 Likes

I don’t think we ARE there, but for a seeing eye horse that can take a beginner around a 4’ course you are going to set out some serious cash.

6 Likes

Guys… I just want to point this out…Every event horse/rider that’s gone through Intermediate has had to jump a 4’ stadium course. Yes eventers at that level are not green. But folks who can handle a 3’6"(1.10m) course can typically ride a 4’ course as well. Will it be foot perfect? Maybe not. But what it takes to improve is not the horse so much as the practice and education to ride a bigger course. The take offs are a bit different, the loft and landings can be different (from a lower jump) and the rider has the learn to ride a different shaped arc.

You can buy 6 figure horses and still be a terrible 4’ (or any height) rider. You can make an ottb and be a less that perfect 4’ rider. It’s on YOU to develop what YOU need to ride those courses. Why we fixate that spending a wad of cash will fix things really is just my pet peeve.

But, on the other hand,… keep thinking that. I will enjoy beating the folks that think that way. :smiley: It’s not just about the horse guys.

Em

5 Likes

She is clearly a novice and wants to know how long before she can compete at 4’. Since she posted in the H/J forum, I am going to assume she means jumpers, not eventing. She didn’t want to know how long it takes to get good enough to make one up. If she buys a horse capable of negotiating a 4’ course while putting up with her, it is going to shorten her time frame and be expensive, but she will be competing. If she puts in the time to become a good rider first, it will be less so. Time and money. Almost everything takes some combination of the two.

8 Likes

When we stopped riding Thoroughbreds.

11 Likes

Much like the length of a piece of string - there is no answer. First acquire the experience to know that is a silly question.

2 Likes

All good points, my comments were not solely directed at the OP so much as all the sheep…err…People who responded thereafter.

Emily

3 Likes

While the air of superiority might seem cute to you, you need to remember that you have a skill set and some opportunities that most people do not (much like I occasionally have to be reminded that my experiences were atypical because I had access to a BNT AND a mom who is a professional).

Most people looking to move up to this level are not going to be able to buy a horse that isn’t already going at that level and train it themselves. Many people are not going to be with a trainer with experience doing it or training people who do it. It taking time, some luck, and money is just reality. Lacking one of those 3 things means the others will have to compensate.

14 Likes

Plenty of horses can jump 4ft. Less horses are packers at that level. That’s really what you pay for. A horse that is athletic enough to get you both safely out of the bad spot you put him in, with a good enough sense of humor to not be pissed at you for it, is harder to find than one that can jump 4ft from a perfect distance with an expert ride.

The fastest way to find one with those qualities is to buy it. Trying to learn with your horse as you move up the levels is harder, and it takes longer, and some horses won’t tolerate it. A horse can jump like a freak, but if you crash it a couple of times and it gets scared and starts stopping then you aren’t moving up.

10 Likes

This one has it all figured out.

So, going for the full tangent, doesn’t the fact folks advocating about the purchasing of a capable horse mean that trainers are not putting the effort into developing riders who can either develop their own horses or don’t need the prefect packer?

Another thread pointed out that few folks know how to develop and train green horses anymore so who is going to create the 4’ horse on which a person is supposed to learn?

I jumped 4’ by making my own horses. Of course I am going full crotchety old man here. When I learned, you didn’t even go to an A show until you were jumping 3’6". Lower heights were for the local shows. So, I learned by actually doing it and thankfully having mentors who taught me well.

Admittedly, it is easier getting a horse to jump 4’ than to get a rider to do it confidently and well. So where is that focus, on the rider? Or do you just buy your way in?

6 Likes

It’s not an air of superiority. I don’t for a second believe I am superior to anyone. THAT is my point, I am no better, worse, capable or not to anyone of us who wants to achieve this level. I don’t have a trainer that’s a regular instructor, but that’s due to economics, not because I am that good. You, any of you, ARE capable of doing this. I was a GOD awful rider for a long time. I had to work 4x as hard and as long to get to the level I am at and I am almost 49!!!

@supershorty628 your point isn’t lost on me but the lack of tone in my text created a not accurate portrayal of my point. I truly believe that ANY member of this Board can achieve what you or I have and beyond. It takes tenacity more than wealth and it requires the ability to push forward every day and to not look at 1 thing more than the overall. I want to do higher jumps that’s great…but I have to be able to ride the jumps below it well and be humble enough to study and work on myself and my animals to give myself the advantages that others may have intrinsically.

It doesn’t even really matter to this point what level you want to get to, just that (As I have been screaming from the rooftops for years) you can do it if you are committed. You can ask for help to choose a better conformed OTTB to be able to jump higher (Better shoulder angle, stronger hip depth). You can study YouTube and educational videos, you can audit clinics, get a barn where you can work off some lessons/board and watch how others do things. Go to clinics and shows and watch, spend $20 a month to subscribe to ClipMyHorse to watch the folks in Europe and their variances in the methods and ride styles. These are the low cost ways that I have used to get a bit further in my own riding.

Just remember that sticking with believing in yourself is HARD, as in REALLY hard. You may get years of struggle and a weekend of joy. That’s the deal. If you can keep pushing to find another great moment than you can accomplish everything you want to.

If you don’t believe me watch this…Too afraid to jump a narrow 4’ oxer 3 years ago. Persistence got me where I am, and pure stubborness. It can get you where you want to go also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJy9Koyk2m8

Em

3 Likes

I don’t know that people were advocating that answer. She asked how long before she could compete in the jumpers at 4’. One of the fastest ways is buying a horse that will do the vast majority of the work for you.

I think a lot trainers are teaching what people want to learn, which is how to horse show as soon as possible. Which is not the same thing as learning to train your own horse or even learning how to ride, frankly.

I watch people at the horse show who can’t pick their own bay horse out of a line up of bay horses. I watch people at the horse show who do their own work and bring along their own horses. I think a whole lot of owner/riders at the biggest horse shows are missing the best part. But that doesn’t fit the business model. Not a lot of money to be made on people who bring along their own.

2 Likes

Ouch. So, the key is to not develop riders/horsemen because they won’t pay the bills.

2 Likes

No. The business model is to cater to the people who just want to show, not those who want to be horsemen.

3 Likes