Unlimited access >

Time to vote! Cactuskate donation

Okie doke… here’s the deal.

We have about $2300 to spend on the ad and a charitable contribution in Kathy’s memory. The ad will cost between $1300 and $1400, if I remember LisaMarie’s calculations right.

The family had designated the Hospice of Yuma as a charity for people who were interested in making a donation in Kathy’s memory. Since, obviously, we are all horse people and Kathy was too, I also checked with them about making a donation to Horses In The Hood. Their mission: " to introduce the Watts community to the joy of caring for and riding horses. This experience and participants’ accomplishments can open minds to pursue never before imagined possibilities."

Horses in the Hood website

Kathy’s family has given HITH their blessing, as Kathy was actually interested in doing something like that herself. Also, they requested that contact info for HITH be included in the ad, for anyone else who wants to contribute.

So, all that is left for us to decide is how we want to divide up the contribution! Choices are below…

I was originally going to say 50/50. But then I thought: Non-horsepeople who know Kathy and her family will likely donate to the hospice; they are probably not going to donate to HITH. So I voted to give the remainder to HITH.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think the hospice is deserving; far from it. I am sure the people there do wonderful work and need every dime they can get. Which explains my waffling … and why I really won’t mind if it does get split.

Proud member of the “Huh. I thought I’d fixed that” phase of baby green hunter ownership.

where are y’all?

MCL

Beezer has a good point.

Can I change my vote??

Whichever is fine - I will send a portion of the book sale to Horses in the Hood in July.

Just a lookin’ fer a Glebe…

I just gave Bill the copy revisions and the HITH info. He should be making the changes and getting me something to look at by tomorrow late afternoon…he’d better the artwork is due by Friday

– Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

USA Eq magazine…it looks fabulous! Agree with Beezer–not to take anything away from the wonderful work done by hospices…

MCL

Oops, I meant to bump this up today… thanks, LM!

Since the voting was rather overwhelmingly in favor of the split, that’s what we will do.

I mailed off the check for the ad today (darn it, there goes my chance to take that trip to Tahiti! ). We have about $1050 left, so will be making donations of $525 to both Horses in the Hood and the Hospice of Yuma.

BTW, we had about 88 people contribute to the “Cactuskate Fund.” Pretty impressive… and even more impressive is that we get to have the ad AND make donations to TWO charities.

Great job guys!

The ad will be in the Dressage Issue, which I believe comes out two weeks from this Friday. Lisamarie and Bill did a great job… I think you guys will like it.

MCL

I voted for 50/50.

Having watched the hospice care received by my father-in-law when he was terminally ill with cancer, I cannot say enough about hospice organizations, and I know they all need all the charitable contributions that they can get. Since the family designated the Yuma Hospice as it’s named charity, I think we should honor them, as well as Cactuskate, by donating part of the money which was raised to that organization.

It would also be nice, and appropriate, to donate the remainder of the money to Horses In The Hood, since I know the program meshes with Kath’s interests in wanting to help disadvantaged youngsters to ride.

I hope that the ad in COTH, which was very well done, will generate some contributions from the Chronicle’s subscribers.

(Ooops, posted after Erin and didn’t see her message indicating that a decision had been made…)

Okie doke… here’s the deal.

We have about $2300 to spend on the ad and a charitable contribution in Kathy’s memory. The ad will cost between $1300 and $1400, if I remember LisaMarie’s calculations right.

The family had designated the Hospice of Yuma as a charity for people who were interested in making a donation in Kathy’s memory. Since, obviously, we are all horse people and Kathy was too, I also checked with them about making a donation to Horses In The Hood. Their mission: " to introduce the Watts community to the joy of caring for and riding horses. This experience and participants’ accomplishments can open minds to pursue never before imagined possibilities."

Horses in the Hood website

Kathy’s family has given HITH their blessing, as Kathy was actually interested in doing something like that herself. Also, they requested that contact info for HITH be included in the ad, for anyone else who wants to contribute.

So, all that is left for us to decide is how we want to divide up the contribution! Choices are below…

Bump

Endurance Rider Wannabee!

I love the HITH concept and am adding it to my list of charity donations. Along with Equestrian AIDS Foundation and my local riding club ( Lake Washington Saddle Club) I think this is a fitting charity that truely defines the quote " there is nothing better for the inside of a man like the outside of a horse."

I vote the 50/50
_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

[This message was edited by hoopoe on May. 31, 2002 at 04:26 PM.]

I would go with 50/50, hey are both good causes.

Member and co-founder Thread Killers Anonymous. Self proclaimed fashion police.
Poindexter, may he rest in peace.

bump

“I hold it that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing…” Thomas Jefferson

I won’t vote since I was unable to contribute, but I share Beezer’s sentiment that the non-horsey will tend to donate to the hospice.

That’s why (other than PBS & NPR) all the charities I donate to (when I can) are animal oriented.

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

I goofed on my voting!

I’ve been hearing about Horses in the Hood for years but it has all been about raising money for what they are going to do. I checked out the website and it still uses future tense in describing its program. So do they actually do anything besides fundraising?

Bump.

Currently they arrange horse camps for kids, but the camp location is outside of their neighborhood, so I believe it is a one-time thing vs. ongoing experience. If you look a little closer at the website they do describe these current activities.