Unlimited access >

Timebreaker Offspring & Why Was Timebreaker Gelded?

I am looking at a couple of youngsters as jumper prospects and they are all sired by Timebreaker (Heartbreaker x Calvados). I am just wondering if anyone knows much about the success of his offspring? What are their temperaments and soundness like?

I believe that he would be 14 years old this year but it appears that he was gelded (I am not sure how long ago). I am not certain but thought it was unusual for a stallion with his breeding lines to have been gelded and just wondered if anyone knows why they decided on that route for him?

He was gelded and then sold a few years ago now and unfortunately died last fall.

[QUOTE=JB Eventer;7597199]
I believe that he would be 14 years old this year but it appears that he was gelded (I am not sure how long ago). I am not certain but thought it was unusual for a stallion with his breeding lines to have been gelded and just wondered if anyone knows why they decided on that route for him?[/QUOTE]

There are all kinds of reasons to geld a stallion. Often, if they are highly competitive on the show circuit, they are worth more as a gelding. :wink: Timebreaker was competing successfully in the 4’6" jumpers with an amateur before he was sold.

I would say that even if they were only moderately competitive on the show circuit (any show circuit) they will be worth more as a gelding, as a competition horse. Competition stallions do not pay their way with breedings in this country.