Unlimited access >

Tips for a secure position??

Hi All,

I recently got a new horse and I would love to event her. The only problem is that she is a jumper, and still gets a bit too excited whenever we go out in the field. She bucked me off the other day, and my mom (also my trainer) had me get back on and really focus on my position when we were cantering. I have a very light seat as I used to ride mostly hunters. My mom told me to keep my body farther back, and maintain light contact with the saddle (but not sitting).

So my question is, do you have any tips to get a more secure position? I am in shape and run frequently, but would just trying to build more muscle help?

Please don’t tell me I need to train my mare better. She is not being bad, it’s just a new, fun experience for her to be in a field and she gets a bit excited. She does not buck in a mean way, she just decides to do a big, uncoordinated leap and I have trouble maintaining my balance.

Also, I obviously will have to get off of her back much more when we actually begin to go for longer distances, but right now we are just trying to get her used to being in a big, open space.

If you are a visual learner, if so start studying the position of the upper level riders. They ride closer to saddle, and sometimes in it. Their positions vary with the terrain and what type of obstacle they are approaching. They use an automatic release but are very good on recovering reins when they have let them slip.

Unless you mother has done some serious eventing, I would suggest you get some lesson from someone who has, and does.

Shoulders, the hunter seat is more of a forward position where a simple buck is going to get you off. You need to create a center of balance. Don’t tip forward, remember to keep your shoulders back. It will feel like you’re standing up straight but you really aren’t.

The best practice is a two point in an arena until YOU are strong enough and confident in the position before heading into the fields. Falling off enough is always another way to teach you to get your butt underneath you and shoulders back. Do not stick your butt out and arch your back, this is the hunter look and not what you want.

Another way to learn is doing hill work in your two point, you’ll find your center of balance there.

Also, remember to keep your weight in your calves, not in your stirrups. You’ll tip right off if your seat is light and your weight is in your stirrups.

Around my area (CT) many folks starting out in eventing (often coming from Hunterland), take some lessons with a woman in Old Lyme called Jonni Edwards. She is so fantastic. She can really help you adjust your thinking from hunter to eventing, and change the way you use your body on the horse, usually in only one or two lessons. If you can find someone like that in your area, you will really benefit from their eventing knowlege, if they are a good teacher for beginners (in eventing). Lessons consisted of approaches to jumps, letting the horse choose the spot, not getting up on the horse’s neck, letting the horse jump, sitting on the approach, and then in a group going cross country. Your mom may be a great coach, but you may sometimes need another pair of eyes more objective for a few starting out lessons.

Also, make sure you are using the right saddle for outside cross country. Your usual flat jumping saddle may not be the right one. You may need a different flap; deeper seat. I don’t know, just suggesting, however, the teacher I am imagining should be able to comment on that for you, too.

Use a neckstrap. Always, so you can maintain balance.

Have the mental images of (1) staying close to the horse and (2) staying in the center of the horse.

Be patient. Consistent work produces results over time. Each horse goes to it’s own schedule.

Ditto the neck strap comment…they can really help in an emergency. Sounds like your mom gave you some good advice. Keep your shoulders back and stay centered. Make sure you are not gripping with your knees.

Also sometimes hunter riders force down their heels too much. This locks your leg a bit and you lose the ability to absorb movement in your leg. You want your stirrups adjusted so that the bottom of the stirrup hits at or just above your ankle bone. This may be a bit shorter than you have been riding. Then don’t pinch with your knee or force your heels down. Just let the weight be in your leg, keep your leg under you (so if your horse was pulled out, you would still be standing/squatting), and keep your shoulders back.

Have fun…you will get more secure with time and mileage!

I’ve struggled with the switch from a “hunter” seat to a xc seat. One of the visuals that has REALLY helped me is to think of my upper body as a sail. I want to open it up and let it go back, that helps bring the horse onto it’s hind legs. In my head I’m just a giant wind sail galloping down the lane, but for me it’s what clicked and got me to sit down and BACK! Which is very helpful when my mare over jumps by about 3’.

Ride bareback!!! (in the ring, duh) Seriously cures all ills and positional evils. You can’t lean or you fall off.

I’ve taught a lot of young kids who are like empty pop cans in the saddle, they don’t have the strength or weight to keep from being pulled out of the tack, so I teach them how to leverage themselves. Same theory with sitting up and using the shoulders.

Here’s an exercise I use to make a point. Stand up like you are in the saddle, knees slightly bent, feet a bit straddled. Then using a slightly open rein on one side pull back with that shoulder. Do you ‘feel’ your weight drop down into that hip and yourself leveraged down into that seatbone? Now just pull back with your hand, empty huh! and if that horse pulls back your body will tip forward.

You are going to have to learn to ‘sit in the saddle.’ Lightly or hovering is not going to work. Eventing requires that kind of flexibility (the use of the different seat types) to be proreactive and effective when galloping across terrain.

Regarding the spirited bucking, you will need to sit down and drive her forward. I did have one playful horse who needed to express himself before knuckling down to work and I could hover seat him as he bucked while moving forward. It was not a plant himself ejector style buck. But you need to move her out first.

A big uncoordinated leap will require that you give her focus and have an exercise, work for her to do. Usually leg yielding and circling warm-up, change directions, and make her focus on you.

Once you get it together the fun starts!

In addition to the other great advise start posting two beats down and two beats up as a position check. You won’t be able to do it unless your balance is correct. Very helpful.

“feet on the dash board” always helped me.

Getting your lower leg DOWN and SECURE as your base. Follow Tamarak Hill Farm (Denny Emerson) on facebook - he shares many wisdoms regarding a secure position and good riding.

But for me, the visual of “feet on the dash board!” plus looking up, and opening your shoulders really helped my stickability.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tamarack-Hill-Farm/109161715946?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

And as for strengthening, jacking your stirrups WAY up, and riding like that till your thighs want to die is a good exercise. My coach would make us roll those leathers and ride “jockey style” as we did conditioning work.

As for the saddle - the balance of it is important, but knee rolls etc do not keep you on. You need to have flaps that will accommodate a shorter stirrup, but I managed to run prelim in an old school “flat saddle” - shallow seat, zero knee rolls - its all about having the proper balance (stirrup bar placement etc).

Don’t knock Moms - I take a lot of credit (not that anybody gives it to Moms!)

Gallop some Tbs.

Thanks everyone for the advice! It was very helpful. I really like the visuals! I still have a lot to learn about eventing. It’s definitely a huge change from hunter type riding, but I’m excited!

[QUOTE=ponyjumps;8220003]
I am in shape and run frequently, but would just trying to build more muscle help?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

You’ve got some great tips for improving your riding in the saddle for a more secure position, but weight lifting has been a godsend for me in developing a more secure seat as I get a bit older. Squats and deadlifts are the single best out of the saddle fitness work I have ever done to improve my riding and over the years I’ve done everything from yoga, aerobics, pilates, cycling–you name it I’ve tried it.

You won’t get bulky or big–just toned and sexy and strong! I can’t tell you how much I wish I’d discovered this years ago!

For drops - I learned the hard way back in the day. Mantra: “Feet on the dashboard, sit up, look up and pray to your God.” Do NOT even think of looking down or you will follow your eyes.

I gotta say, as someone and who also absolutely hates people who put their feet on the dashboard for the mere reason they are putting themselves in severe danger in the event of a collision, I found out today that it works fantastic. I used the image I hate so much to my advantage and it really helped me keep my heels anchored today. Even when I blew the distance, I had no problem staying with my horse. It has an alter affect of keeping your torso tall so double bonus there.

I will add though, I’ve been doing no stirrups for about 15 minutes each ride all week. It’s amazing how quickly that starts to have an effect on your seat.

Do air squats and wall sits to build your leg strength, but work on core strength too.

The post about learning to really sit in the saddle is spot on as well. Your horse may not accept it at first, so you’ll need to do some flatwork/training until he’s moving off your seat and leg effectively.

Take a look at this post on Off Course:http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?470637-Yes-I-CAN-Ride-Hunt-Seat!-(a-k-a-No-More-Painful-Privates!)
It has some interesting discussion.

Ride bareback, ride without stirrups on the longe and free, ride without reins on the longe and free. Get that independent seat before you start jumping.
Riding is just as much balance as riding a bicycle with the extra complication of another sentient being that has to be controlled. While you are acquiring the independent seat, study books to learn about all the different seats and when and how to use them. Then practice, practice, practice and exercise off the horse as well as on. The military seat as defined by the old, dead cavalry guys is the ideal seat for XC and is the one to strive for. You want your weight over the horse’s center of balance for him to carry you easily. And you have to be strong enough to keep it there, move to other seats, and bring it back if your weight moves off that point, which is USUALLY over the shoulders.

Any other placement of your weight should be as brief as possible and is, IMO, WRONG if used consistently.

Read everything you can by the old, dead cavalry guys because they knew and understood what Caprilli discovered. Later generations of riders are slipping back into the older riding methods because Caprilli and the military seat are just too darned hard.