Tips for IEA zones

I agree with the posters who say it’s impossible to answer unless we were watching that class. What did your coach say? Did they watch the class?

I’ve sat an watched so many flat classes over my lifetime, and once I was judges helper for 2 long days. I’m actually pretty good at picking the lineup. There’s usually enough bobbles that the horses sort themselves out by basic obedience.

All I can say in this case is that there were 3 other riders who had fewer bobbles than you, whose horses never fussed or looked unhappy, and never got cut off. And this was down to the rider. But also random chance of the horse they got.

I can not even begin to imagine catch riding a strange horse in one of those leagues :slight_smile:

I have also heard so much sour grapes from riders and trainers about placings in flat classes, where it was obvious the basic selection was on obedience and moments of brilliance don’t outweigh other fussing errors etc

So my other piece of advice is, learn how to lose gracefully and get over yourself. Three other riders did better than you for those 5 minutes in the ring. You will likely never ride that horse again. There are no long term training tips to give you. Your next lottery horse might be better or worse behaved.

5 Likes

There was around 10 people in my class, and I’m in intermediate. Thanks for the advice!

Oh shoot yeah! The sit down one is a good one. I forgot and for la few seconds I half seated :woman_facepalming:.

I have no idea what Intermediate means in this context :slight_smile:

But it’s true that it’s random chance what horse you get, so you might have entirely different problems next time out.

The size of the class is irrelevant to where you place. What matters is how many people in the class did a better job with their random horse in that 5 minute slot. Your coach should have been watching and give you feedback.

It’s also very very useful to have a friend video your rides. You will see things you neve remember happening.

2 Likes

Learn the tests and practice them! They don’t come up much during the regular season, but they are very likely to be used at the Zone Finals. Often, the difference between the winner and loser in these finals classes is the person who can execute something complicated with composure. I’ve seen so many classes where riders messed up their tests!

I recommend a) being sure you know how to do each individual test correctly, and b) having someone give you long tests to execute with multiple elements so you can practice remembering all the steps and developing an appropriate plan for your skills, the horse, and the ring configuration.

2 Likes

Intermediate is for riders who jump 2’ at IEA shows. They are not permitted to have shown above .90m at any show with traceable results (A shows, any local shows with point recordings. Camp or in barn shows don’t count). Sometimes riders are placed into this division because of their prior show results or their general riding ability, sometimes they have moved up into this level by either 1) earning 22 points or more the year previously, 2) having done 2 years at the previous level, or 3) placing top 10 (I believe) at Nationals in the previous level. There is one jumping level below intermediate (novice, or cross rails) and one above (Open, or 2’6). There are two additional flat levels below Novice, Walk/Trot and Walk/Trot/Canter.

Getting cut off usually punishes the rider who breaks gait, unless it was very obvious that the rider doing the cutting off was out of control and caused your horse to do something beyond your control. I like to tell my riders to keep up with the flow of traffic. If you are constantly doing the passing, you are likely going too fast. If you are constantly being passed, you are likely going too slow.

10 riders can feel like a lot, especially in a small place. If the arena is small, do your best to pick your spot and stay there. Try to avoid CIRCLES at all costs. Circles tend to get you stuck in the middle or the ring or constantly having to repeat getting spread out.

The first thing the judge sees when you enter the ring is your position and presentation. The second is your control over the horse. Walk into the ring like you know you belong and you know you can ride that particular horse to the best of your ability. Make sure you create a good walk from the beginning. If you can, when you enter the ring, make a path to get in front of the judge so that they write down your number early on their judges sheet.
I would disagree adamantly with the poster above who says to ask the horse holder about their horse. Many times it is a middle or high school aged rider who may or may not actually know the horse. They may give you wrong or bad information (this horse was in my lesson last week and it went SO FAST!) or they might unknowingly try to overload you with info (make sure you do XYZ to pick up the trot and PQR to pick up the canter and switch your whip to this hand here and blah blah blah). Your coach will have watched the horses even if you haven’t been able to, and will have gotten information about the horse in the coaches meeting. That said, try to watch as many horses as you can, and once you know the horse that you are riding, take a minute to study them if they go in a class before yours.

I am a little confused about planning for Zones, unless you are going as a team rider. Most regionals send the top 1 or 2 riders for individual classes to Zones. However, most of the information you have received in this thread applies to all IEA shows, and will help you going forward

(Scribbler, I only replied to your post for the clarification of what Intermediate means… the rest of the post is obviously not aimed towards you!)

3 Likes

@Sarah616

Thanks, that’s very helpful!

In another thread the OP was taking about wanting to move up to a 3.3 meter horse and do the Big Eq medals, but not feeling like they were getting support from their coach on this. It wasn’t clear what the OPs showing experience was like.

2 Likes

@celine.eq2023 have you asked these questions of your coach yet? If you’re getting cut off repeatedly and having traffic issues at Regionals in Intermediate, either you were unprepared and could use a Flat Class Boot Camp, or that class was an absolute train wreck and there was no saving it. Only your coach who was there will be able to talk you through this effectively.

I’m guessing it’s somewhere in the middle - you don’t have a ton of experience showing H/J, this is your first year of IEA, and potentially it was a small ring for 10 horses. Throw all that in the pot and 4th is impressive!

I’ll say this - you are putting way too much pressure on yourself and focusing too much on the ribbons. This is your first year in IEA, and you aren’t drawing from 10 years of showing H/J every weekend! Not only are you learning how to ride and jump, you’re learning how to show and how to show IEA. These are all skills, and trying to pack them all into your brain and expect immediate ribbon success is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Dream big, TALK TO YOUR COACH, but go out there to have fun!

3 Likes

Just came here to say, as an IHSA alumna who’s never done the alumni thing, I don’t know what this league is but it sounds awesome and I want to know more.

2 Likes

Scribbler, she posted about a 3’3”/3’6” horse not a 3.3m one. The latter turns her goals from very ambitious to delusional. Know it was simple slip, unintended. So many don’t read very carefully or the complete thread or are new themselves, don’t want them getting the wrong impression of OP.

5 Likes

Oh hahaha I totally missed my metric error here until I wrote the below and posted it!

It’s Canada where we use both metric and imperial and constantly confuse ourselves even in the grocery store. And I didn’t have coffee. Haha obviously not 3 meters!

Where I live, most juniors stay at 2 foot 9 or under, in recognized shows as well as schooling shows. To make that leap :slight_smile: up to 3 foot plus requires a whole other horse, program, and trainer. We do have folks locally that jump 4 plus feet on the Grand Prix circuit but they are invisible locally, I only found out about a group of them via a friend.

So to be struggling with 2 foot “intermediate” IEA and also be wanting to move on up to the over 3 foot level imminently is very ambitious. Obviously people do it, but I wonder how many say Grand Prix riders spent any time actually competing at 2 foot? Unless at the age of 6. Like in dressage the Training to Fourth sequence is one thing for ammies and most stall out at First. But the international horses debut at PSG and don’t need to spend years “going up the levels” in schooling shows.

Anyhow I note this just because I was curious about OPs competition record and also the focus of their trainer. If their trainer is running IEA then I can see why they wanted OP to buy a lower scope safer stock horse type that could go in the IEA rotation. You would never put you scopey valuable 3 foot 3 plus WB in an IEA rotation to jump 2 feet.

I’m sure IEA is lots of fun, good experience,.and also character and team building like Pony Club. The horse swap levels the playing field. But on the other hand it is just not leading in any clear way to the 3 foot plus Big Eq. And in the really crucial skill that juniors need to learn, which is schooling training and knowing their own horse or horses and how to ride them in competition it teaches nothing. The horse swap does level the playing field in an interesting way, but not one that necessarily applies to other competition.

So OP needs to make a choice eventually between IEA and going bigger and way more expensive in another program. I’m not saying either is better. But they pull in very different directions.

2 Likes

Here’s my tip. I don’t know IEA but I know IHSA. I always video the entire flat class for the riders. Then they can watch it over and over to see where they went right and where they went wrong. Also they can critique their own position and ride in conjunction with the coach and make a plan for future.
Agree with posters who say to ride as many flat classes and group lessons as possible to develop the spatial awareness skill until it becomes automatic.

1 Like

I have also long held the theory that it does make anybody a better driver when they actually get behind the wheel of a car if they’ve already had practice at the concept of traffic and merging and staying out of trouble in groups of horses. Lol.

2 Likes

Not to debate a stranger’s life, but I believe it is the show barn that runs the IEA program, not the local, smaller barn. I could be wrong.

I do agree that the skills needed to jump 2’ and show in Eq flats are quite basic vs the Big Eq and equivalent jumpers - even if the rider has the skills to jump the tracks, flat classes are Horse Showing 101 if you’re doing the eq. That’s a lot of catching up to do for a 16 year old before aging out. Especially since OP is not in a Big Eq program and is neither leasing nor owned a horse yet.

IEA feeds directly into IHSA/NCAA, is quite inexpensive, and a good home barn can really give kids fabulous skills to ride your average low/mid level H/J horse. I think it is a valuable, attainable, and extremely rewarding pursuit! Plenty of people show heavily at the top of the junior ranks and also do IEA, so the skills do not cancel out. It’s a great way to get that coveted extra saddle time on other horses. Scribbler is correct, however, that IEA does not build a foundation to rocket up to the 3’6" in the limited time OP has for pursuing such goals. It does add to the toolbox, however!

2 Likes

Oh, the show barn does IEA? Ok.

Here’s my take on it. You can learn excellent horsemanship and excellent riding and training skills at any level of competition and indeed without competing at all.

Wherever you are in horses, there you are, and it’s wonderful and a privilege. It’s not cheap, simple or easy to ratchet up from the two six/nine foot to the three foot plus circuit, and where I live very few juniors manage that. I can tell by looking online at the order of go or class results at our recognized shows. Obviously there are places with deeper resources of parental cash and ambitious trainers where more juniors move up.

But with any endeavor, especially horses which involve a big limiting factor of your equine partner, you can make yourself miserable feeling you need to be or should be at some entirely different level than is logistically or financially possible right now. If your best option is IEA buckle down and do that and learn everything you can about horse care, horse management, team work, and riding many different horses. Consider it high school for riding. If you later come out of college in your 20s with a good job and cash to burn, you can then think about the next step as a young adult with a solid foundation.

The reason I stress horse care as well is that many bad boarding situations can be avoided if the owner is knowledgeable enough to spot red flags or have intelligent discussions with the vet farrier etc. Juniors are encouraged to let the adult trainer run everything but as an adult owner you need to know horse care even if you are boarding out.

3 Likes

Heh. I was just thinking the other day that driving a car in traffic has made me better at staying out of trouble when riding in group classes.

1 Like

Works both ways!

1 Like

Yeah, you are right, the show barn does IEA. Intermediate is so competitive in my opinion, even though I only show 2’9 outside of IEA. I really like it because since I can’t own a horse and it will take a while to find a suitable lease, I can practice on a lot of horses to prepare for a horse I might have one day!
I agree, jumping 2 foot is pretty easy and not super useful for my 3’3 goal, but it’s just a fun thing I do on top of my riding.

Do you have any tips about catching the judges eye? I know about the quarter lines and staying off the rail obviously but is there anything else?

2 Likes

I mean, it’s hard when we don’t know exactly where you’re starting from (but that’s what you have a coach for!). I’m sure people have thrown these out there already but:

• make sure your personal turnout is IMPECCABLE. Boots are clean (including the bottoms, get someone to wipe them off if you can!), helmet and coat fit well (even a cheap coat can be altered for very little and made to fit great), gloves and your collar and sleeve cuffs are clean. Make sure your hair is tidy, a little gel or spray or a couple pins to tame the flyaways really helps.
  • stay out of the pack. Keep your eyes up, but don’t be looking around like an owl. I call it “soft eyes”, but it means using your peripheral to keep track of your company and make a plan.
  • don’t circle or cut across the middle of the ring. Shave off the short end, use your quarter lines (or don’t. Don’t put yourself in traffic or cut someone off just for the quarter line. Better to be on the rail sometimes than to sacrifice a good spot).
  • watch a lot of flats. You’ll learn the typical rhythm and be able to make strategic plans for things like getting your canter leads (canter is probably next, make sure to get the horse off the inside and maybe go deep into the next corner to avoid picking up the canter in the middle of a straight away). The trick is to avoid anticipation and accidentally cueing your horse incorrectly.
  • the little basic details make or break you in IEA. Since the horse isn’t as big of a factor, YOU have to be spot on. Hands up in front of the withers thumbs on top, a still leg that’s secure against the horse’s side, get your diagonals, sit the canter, and don’t lean for the lead. All those little nitpicky details matter more than taking an extra second to change gait or whatever.
  • watch the horses go in the morning if you can, take notes especially once you have your draw. I wouldn’t chat up the holder, but look at the horse’s card and watch it go with other riders if you can.
  • get someone to video you and STUDY it. So much of the time you feel like X but you actually did Y, and you should’ve done Z.
  • have fun. Seriously, a genuine smile makes the whole picture so much more pleasing, and that’s why you’re doing this right?
6 Likes

I never did IEA, but I did do IHSA. Once you are placed in a level, you won’t get bumped out of it for no longer meeting the criteria. So totally possible OP was placed in intermediate because she had never showed over .90m, and then later starting showing at .90m (or higher).

Second, I’ve seen IHSA riders who were successfully competing in the 1.3ms jr jumpers and bigeq before college struggle in open (3ft) on a tough draw. I showed up to the 1.15m and then did alumni (2’6") a few years ago and had two truly embarrassing rounds on kind horses that were not my ride and I struggled with.

I do think IEA/IHSA is a very different skill set because you are jumping a horse you have never ridden. In a vacuum, it definitely seems very ambitious to go from struggling at 2ft to moving up to the 3’3’’/3"6". But I think the gap is a little smaller when you’re doing 2ft on a horse you’ve never ridden (and we have no idea what the draw was like) versus an experienced 1.0m horse OP would get to ride and lesson consistently on and build a relationship with.

6 Likes