To Blanket or Not - first time field board for moderate-coat horse

Hi everyone,

I know there have been several blanket threads, but it’s hard to tell sometimes what’s “cold” to one person vs. another, as some of the threads don’t name locations or temps!

I would appreciate reassurance, if nothing else, that I shouldn’t by default worry about this horse getting too cold. I want to try field board this year, but this place doesn’t blanket field board horses. I can keep her in a stall overnight if I want, but I would have to make a commitment (i.e., no “bring her in when it’s really bad”), and I would prefer the 24/7 turnout if she can handle the cold.

• location: Eastern Shore, Maryland. avg January temps ~ 25*-45* F
  • 15 year old broodmare in good body weight
  • historically runs cold, does not grow much coat, and has until last year been in work, clipped, and blanketed.

This year I want to try field board under the following circumstances:

• this barn does not blanket field board horses
  • there is great, large shelter shared for two horses
  • “plenty of hay” is given (quoted because that’s what they told me)

I’m well aware that:

• many horses have lived very successfully without blanketing or other human intervention, even in much colder locales such as Montana and Canada.
  • I feel the cold very profoundly, but that does not necessarily mean my horse does, too.
  • horses are much better adapted to very cold temperatures than humans are.

Some of my reading says to blanket moderate-coat horses when lows are below 40s(!), others say not to worry unless the horses is wet, etc., so I’m second guessing myself. Unfortunately the barn is far, so I can’t just pop over and see how she’s doing.

So what would you think and do in this situation? Can I sleep soundly at night, or should I plan on keeping a stall over winter?

Edit: I live about 2 hours away, assuming no traffic, so popping by is not typically an option.

If nothing else, I would use a good quality sheet. It will keep her dry, and act as a windbreak. “Assuming” they actually give plenty of edible hay, she should be fine.
I would still be checking on her regularly tho.

2 Likes

How often will you be able to visit? If you keep a close eye on her weight and coat for the first few weeks, you’ll get a good idea.

I support your parenthetical about hay because…people lie. When I toured the barn, the owner of the barn where my horse boarded last winter insisted that the horses had constant access to hay in turnout. They threw hay…literally two or three times all winter. I was there daily so I bought my own hay and threw a flake or two into turnout so they at least had something. He was just out with one other horse for half the day so it was manageable -though really challenging for multiple reasons.

1 Like

How far is far?

There really is no one right answer to this question. It depends on the horse and the situation.

Some horses truly do not like to be out in the weather.
Other horses are fine when naked and coated in icicles.

Will the other horse(s) let your horse into the shelter?

Until you know if they truly get all the hay they want during the cold months, and how your horse deals with the cold, the answer is going to be - it depends.

I had no problem taking my horse that had always been ridden all winter so was well blanketed and had not grown much natural coat and turned him out with no blanket with lots of hay and access to shelter. He grew a lovely coat and seemed quite comfortable with the whole situation.

1 Like

They won’t blanket at all, even if it rains/snows? I would definitely keep a stall. There are some horses who would be fine in those conditions but a mid-teens mare who runs cold and doesn’t grow much coat would not be one I’d try it on. Especially if you can’t get out to check on her if the weather turns harsh. I’m also in the Mid-Atlantic with a horse that’s a wimp about the cold, and he gets so miserable. I don’t think it’s fair to make him deal with that.

8 Likes

This doesn’t sound like a mare who is a good candidate to transition to 24/7 turnout with no rugs at a new farm where you can’t visit often to check in on her.

I’m closer to Baltimore but around here it’s not the temperatures, it’s the damp and the wind. They can make things extremely unpleasant, and a horse who doesn’t grow hair and tends to run cold is not going to have a fun time, no matter how much hay you give her.

Side note: I’m sorry to laugh because I’m sure you came up with it for a reason, but your username is a hoot.

11 Likes

I don’t blanket in winter. I used to, before I moved HERE. It’s “dry cold” here, LOW humidity. Horses are out together, there is a shed for shelter, but they don’t use it much. We get snow here in winter, and temperatures down to -30C normally, and -40C on a “cold” day. But it’s dry. The key is that it’s a dry cold, AND that the horses are all out together, where they can run, can move. There is nothing colder for a horse than being unable to run together, standing in a stall. When out together, the snow builds up on their backs, it adds to the insulation, keeps them WARM. A blanket, especially a heavy blanket STOPS the hair from piloerecting, the “natural” insulation that keeps a horse warm.
Our previous farm was where it’s WET in winter. Horses huddled into their stalls, shivering. High humidity, and horses get chilled and CAN’T warm up. Everyone was blanketed every winter, paddocks had full drainage, but it still didn’t take care of the rainfall, and flooded every winter.
Our current situation is far easier for horses to thrive in winter. Your horse may well grow more coat than she has previously. If she can run, can MOVE, she can stay warm, if it’s a dry cold. The horses KNOW this, they will run together to warm up. They are not stupid.

1 Like

The answer is it really “depends”.

I’m on my 3rd set of geldings - horse, pony, mini - and only blanket when we get Midwest Polar Vortex temps - minus single digits, or worse - for more than a day or two.
Or if blizzard snowfall has the snow on their backs soaking through to skin.
If the snow is piled on but not melting, they’re insulated & fine.
Even then, once their backs are dry blankets come off.
Midweight turnout blankets, 100g fill.
I test for warmth:
Eartips, belly, inner flanks, brisket - if those are warm they stay nekkid.

Mini is already well in his way to yakdom, the other two are plushy.
Last night we had our first 30s, with drizzly rain.
All 3 came in from pasture for nightcheck (& cookies) on their own.
Backs were wet, but not soaked, chests & bellies warm & dry.
They went back out & stayed there overnight.
Evidenced by no manure in any of the stalls this morning.
They have free access & fresh bedding was added Sunday.

FWIW:
I had a WB, bred in Queensland, Australia. Climate there is like FL.
He was imported at 6 to FL.
I brought him to my Midwest farm at 14.
He arrived December 10, showslick with only a cotton sheet.
The midweight blanket I had for him was too small - 78 to his 82 - he had Plumberbutt until a new blanket got here.
He never grew more than a plushy coat & went through winters unblanketed for the 5yrs I had him.

Also asking how far is “far” for you to check on your mare?
Both to see if the hay provided seems sufficient & to check to see how she seems to be handling the weather.
Can you change from field to stall if that seems the better option?

Wishing you & mare Peace & untroubled sleep

I would blanket this horse. A sheet keeps them dry but provides no warmth. If she runs cold and doesn’t grow much coat, and is living in a colder area, yes I would blanket her. 100 gm blankets are fantastic and provide light warmth. I would invest in a sheet, 100 gm and a medium.

4 Likes

This and I would also get a spare of your turnout. If it gets wet you don’t want a soggy wet horse wearing a soggy wet blanket.

4 Likes

I’ve kept my horses outside for as long as I’ve owned them, and never been at a barn that blankets outdoor horses. I do the blankets myself, and no, I’m not there twice a day.

How often will you be out?

I know (learned through trial and error) my horses’ individual temperature/weather/blanket ranges and blanket accordingly. For the horse who gets hot I blanket for the high temperature between then and my next visit. For the cold horse who doesn’t get hot I blanket for the low temperature.

I’ve found that healthy horses with a reasonable coat can significantly fluff and flatten that coat under a 200gm blanket, giving them some self temperature regulation. There are always some occasions where the horse might be a bit warm or cold due to large temperature variations, but they deal with it fine. Adding a neck cover gives extra warmth without adding extra blanket insulation.

For example, my chilly horse would get his rainsheet at a high of 15c if it was going to rain, plus the 0g neck cover at 10c with rain. He’d get the rainsheet at 10c without rain, and the 0g neck cover added at 0c. Once the high temperature was below freezing he’d get his 200g blanket with 0g neck. I’d change the neck to a 200g around highs of -10c.

After that I’d be looking at lows and storms, and swapping out the 200g body for 280g or 340g according to his temperature range.

My senior horse is good at temperature regulation and I generally blanket for the highs with the exception of storms. 10c with rain - Wug rainsheet 0g. 0c Wug rainsheet. -5c with modified trace clip Wug 200g. He stays in the 200g Wug all winter, and I have a 100g with 150g neck cover that I put over the 200g for snowstorms or very cold snaps of more than two days. That is a recent addition, starting when we boarded in a river valley that guided the north wind right over the horses. Snowstorms were a bit much with the insufficient shelter that place had.

The other consideration is how much riding you want to do. I never clipped or blanketed before I had my second horse at a facility with an indoor, and that was back when winters were much colder than recent years. For hacking around in the snow he was fine, but once we got to actually working inside he struggled. With a blanket he was fine, and then I had to figure out clipping or spend over an hour drying him off. In later years, after semi retirement, I didn’t clip and he wore a Wug rainsheet all winter as personal, portable shelter from wind and wet.

This only works if the barn offers blanket changes or if the owner is there to do blanket changes.

The OP has said they do not offer blanket changes for the field boarded horses.

I wouldn’t field board at a place that doesn’t blanket. My horse runs cold, when he gets cold he does dumb things and injures himself.

It’s too wet in mid Atlantic to not blanket imo. One good rain storm and temp drop and they are soaked shivering around a hay bale.

4 Likes

You say they don’t blanket, but can YOU blanket? If yes, then I’d say you can manage it. If no blankets are allowed regardless of who does it, I’d be nervous about how she’d do, particularly if you’re dealing with wet and/or windy weather.

Even my “runs hot” chestnut mare doesn’t appreciate the wind or the rain. She can manage the wind but wet makes her cold regardless.

And then there’s my gelding . . . he’s very sensitive to cold. It’s been in the 40s/50s here during the day but WINDY. I’ve had a sheet on him for a week or so. Just decided that he’s ready for his 100 gram overnight. He would not do well without a blanket.

And that’s the concern - you just don’t know what she’ll be okay with.

1 Like

If they don’t do blankets and it is too far to pop over I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable. If my horse is stuck outside for 24 hours in driving 40 degree rain at the very least I want them blanketed.

I think no blanket is far easier in places where it gets cold and stays cold. Precipitation is snow and they stay fluffed all winter.

When it is cold to moderate you get a lot of rain and dampness. On a thin coated horse that gets uncomfortable quickly.

3 Likes

This doesn’t sound promising to me. It would be worth a shot if you were closer and could go and put a blanket on if needed, but being far complicates things.

1 Like

Is there another boarder or two that could keep on eye out and help with putting a blanket on/off? I’m at a barn that won’t do blankets but myself and a few boarders help each other out with checking on horses or adding/swapping blankets as needed since not everyone is able to make it every day.

1 Like

@LamenessRus can you board with a stall for the winter and do just pasture board spring, summer, and fall? Or does it have to be one or the other year round? If you’re not sure how your horse will do, it’s best not to take chances.

I don’t blanket my horses, but they always have access to dry shelter and they’re stalled at night. They also get extra hay and extra pine chip bedding in really cold snaps. Mid-thirties with bright sunshine and no wind is a lot different than mid-thirties with cold rain and howling wind. With sunshine and no wind they could be quite toasty, but cold rain and wind could be pretty unpleasant.

Thanks everyone, I’m really feeling the “it depends” everyone is suggesting. To answer a few questions -

• Every year she grows a little more coat with age. Unclear how much that will be this year, but it won’t be yak-level.
  • The barn is almost 2 hours away in the best circumstances when there’s no traffic, which is very rare. Closer to 2.5 hours or more most of the time. I plan to go out once a month once she gets settled.
  • The shelter is huge, and I have every confidence the two will get along well enough to not have one horse isolated outside (but we will be vigilant - being kept out would certainly be cause to stall her).
  • This is a very reputable breeding and private training barn - one of the best sport horse breeders on the east coast (if not nationally), so it’s not a podunk operation. That being said, how much hay they really throw is always the million dollar question when boarding, isn’t it?
  • There is only one other boarder, and she’s older and does not go out frequently enough to help with blanketing. It’s primarily a breeding and private training operation of their own stock.

I have full confidence in the care there - their no-blanketing policy being the only issue! They are aware that this gives me pause, and reassured me that they usually adjust really well if they’ve had time in the fall to grow a coat.

I think I’m going to ask about reserving/keeping a stall until as a backup until spring. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep at night without knowing that she has a stall available if it turns out she isn’t equipped to be a feral horse! Thanks everyone for your feedback and helping me think it through :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you can afford the cost of keeping a stall available along with the cost of field board, you should sleep better.
As long as they’re amenable to bringing her into that stall from the field.
Who’d decide when she gets stalled?
Would her fieldmate then be a problem if left out alone?
That’s a long drive, to be sure.
But not impossible.
I used to drive 1h+ 3-4X a week to where DH & I had horses boarded, year-round.
IIWM, I’d set aside a couple weekends once the cold weather sets in & make the RT to see how she’s doing.
Once things look good, monthly visits should be doable.

1 Like