Unlimited access >

To braid or not braid forelock

Hey guys - doing my first dressage show this weekend and while it’s just a schooling show with my lease horse I’m giddy with excitement. The schooling show is casual but I hail from HJ land so dont want to look to foolish though Im not sure I’m willing to put my hair in a bun and may stick to hunter hair…

The horse is half friesian/half paint. A large portion of his mane by his withers was rubbed off earlier this summer but has grown out enough I think I can do a running braid to hide how ugly it is. I’m assuming I can get away with a running braid since he’s part friesian?
If I do a running braid do I braid his forelock? If so, do I do a french braid and thread it up like I would for hunters? Do I try to do more of a button braid (dressage/eventing)?

I wouldn’t NEED to braid, but I think we’ll present better since his mane is pretty unattractive down.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I show my half Friesian in a running braid. I leave his forelock loose as I think he looks cuter that way. I’m sure either is fine

2 Likes

Braid it up. I think just about every horse looks better braided.

For forelock always do the french braid and thread up.

Button braids or running braid for the mane. Both are very easy, take no time, and polish up the horse.

Have a blast at your first show and good luck!

9 Likes

It is my understanding that you’re supposed to braid unless it is a stallion. but since its a schooling show do what you like!

1 Like

Do whatever you like! It is traditional to braid mane and forelock, but not tail. Any kind of braid is fine: running, hunter plaits, buttons, etc. And you can roll the forelock braid up any way you like. If you ride in a fly bonnet, you don’t have to braid the forelock since it is covered anyway.

No idea where the unbraided forelock on stallions came from, but it certainly isn’t a rule. It was definitely trendy for a while. Mine shows braided.

2 Likes

Someone didn’t want to get bitten. :rofl:

26 Likes

This made me laugh! That’s exactly why! My mare would knock me off my step stool a dozen times while doing her forelock.

3 Likes

From memory it was how people identify stallions in Europe. If it had an unbraided forelock you give it extra room.

OP, I have a full Friesian and for unofficial shows I just plait it down and tuck it under the Browband so it doesn’t flap. Any way you want to do is fine really.

2 Likes

I use a ear bonnet, but my horse has such a poofy forelock I have to braid the forelock to tame it a bit.

I would practice with the forelock before show morning to see how your horse tolerates the process and what he/she looks like with it braided. The Fresians in our barn LOVE to be braided up and get ‘happy’. The mare stands taller when she is braided and is just more on her game. She is a show-pro. She is always happier on spa days as well.

4 Likes

Braiding is simply a convention, not a rule. Do what you like. I would practice before the event to make sure your friend tolerates being worked in braids, of whatever fashion. Braiding for schooling shows also allows you to learn your own timeline need

6 Likes

you’re probably right! Mine is mannerly but I’ve shown lots of stallions in hand that were extremely mouthy.

3 Likes

I’ve owned and showed stallions right along with my geldings and mares. My decision to braid the forelock or not is always dependent on (a) what type of show - recognized or not, if not I don’t braid, (b) if there are still a lot of flying insects, I don’t braid. I don’t use bonnets so I will leave a forelock unbraided if the insect situation is horrendous (very short time of year that occurs here), and © if there is enough forelock that looks ‘nice’ unbraided, I might not braid but usually I do in recognized competition. I have a pony, now a gelding, who is the only welsh cob I’ve ever owned who literally does not grow any forelock or mane and what he does sprout he promptly rubs out. Leaving the few wisps of hair down looks dreadful. He’s retired now; so, I no longer worry about it.

I have a clinic this weekend and we’re being asked to present our horses braided so the one I’m taking is getting his forelock braided right along with the rest of his mane.

1 Like

thanks to this thread, i twisted and tied a little knot in my mare’s forlock standing there on the mounting bloc k. Given that she’s curly, it stayed the entire lesson. I think she actually likes her hair being fussed with. Too bad for her cause i’m not really into it myself.

4 Likes

My boy drops his head when I braid his mane. I think he likes it

1 Like

I have a horse with a long mane that I always do a running braid on when I ride where others will be watching (show, lesson, clinic) since otherwise the mane blocks the view. For schooling shows where braiding isn’t required I don’t do the forelock. When I do a recognized show and braiding is required, i do the forelock.

My (other wise bombproof and not-sensitive) gelding HATES his forelock being braided and it makes him quite fussy. I always left it unbraided but would work some wax in it and pull it under the browband so it was tidy and out of the way.

I agree with testing it ahead of time, some really don’t like it.

1 Like

Braiding is not required in a recognized show. The USEF rule states that it is “permitted.”

2 Likes

yes, you’re right. I should have said ‘expected’.

1 Like

Thanks for the input!
I ended up french braiding his forelock and pulling through as I’ve done in hunters, he was mostly agreeable to be braided all around.

I did see mostly braided forelocks but some braided and not tucked up/through the braid.

Show went great - ended up winning my training level classes and getting high point and the highest score of the day! I was pretty shocked - we still have a lot to work on in the canter. I did hear that schooling show scores are often a bit higher than rated shows but still great results and I had more fun then I ever did showing H/J!

6 Likes

Congratulations! It’s not necessarily true that schooling show scores are higher. Sometimes “L” grads can be the toughest scorers.

1 Like