Unlimited access >

To Buy or Not to Buy

No, no and no. You need to get through school and pay off school. You can probably find free catch rides in college and get your riding in without buying a horse of your own. Especially a $20,000 horse.

There’s a reason why people’s parents sell their six figure junior hunters when they go off to college. Okay, well, there’s a lot of reasons, but one of them is because riding competitively takes a huge chunk of time that for most people should be going towards their studies and, later on, internships, etc.

If you’re a decent rider there should be a part lease situation that would be perfect for you.

[gravitycommand;Hello,
I have quite the dilemma. First, a bit of background: I am 18, in college (read: poor), and love to jump. I’ve been riding for 8 years, jumped up to 3’6". I’ve never had my own horse.
I found a horse who is basically everything I want in a horse: he is a good size, great temperament, huge jump, 8 years old, and buckskin to boot. I got a chance to ride him and he was a dream.
Problem? He’s $20,000.

Sane people describing themselves as “poor” do not spend $20K on a horse. They don’t even spend $2K or $200 on a horse. There is no dilemma to solve.

I realize the huge leap putting the concepts of sane and horse person in the same thought.

I’m half-convinced this was yet another troll post, hoping to incite a riot with the waahh I’m poor comment. Fits the pattern-- OP with less than 5 posts, asking something kinda normal but with a couple of absurd red herrings thrown in.

Too bad COTH programmers can’t create a system where brand new members can’t start their own thread until they’ve responded to like 5 other, separate threads. The effort of creating these personas might not be worth it, and their posting history might help others judge how much invest in a response.

Gah! Don’t do it! I know it’s so hard desperately wanting your own horse, trust me I am dealing with the same wish. But seriously, if you’re about to go college, you won’t have time to ride that $20,000 horse anyways. Find a good lesson barn and a good trainer and ride when you can. Get involved with the barn community and you might get some free rides and a chance to make some money working around the barn.
My dad offered to buy me a horse as a graduation gift and as tempting as that is, I know better than to take the offer. Though sometimes it’s tempting to pretend I don’t know better :roll eyes: Also, owning your own horse isn’t the magical and perfect situation you might think it will be. It’s awesome, don’t get me wrong! But then the bills come or lameness or something else and then you might feel bad for not getting out as often as you’d like because of school. Wait, really! Horses aren’t going anywhere. Find yourself a fun lesson program with good people and you will be just as happy!