Unlimited access >

To keep or sell ? sorry little bit long

Hi everyone,

I bought my mare as a 2 y.o. in summer 2009. She was broke by a professionnal in 2010. I lightly rode her the following year and became pregnant of my second child during that year.

In spring 2011 I sent her to the pro that broke her to bring her to some shows and give her experience while I was home with my newborn son.

My mare came back to me in September of 2011 and I started back riding her the few times (1-2) I could with 2 children. She developed some bad behavior such has not respond to my leg, kicking in response of my leg, etc. Otherwise a sweetheart to manipulate on the ground. She just appeared to be sour about any kind of work.

In October 2013 I decided to send her in a program with a very reputable trainer for the winter. I was really discourage and thought she was too much horse for me to ride. The first month she was at the trainer, I couldn’t see much improvement on her behavior, but she definitely proved to be a really talented jumper on top of being a beautiful mover. So I decided to sell her and find myself another horse. Trainer told me I could get between 40k and 50k for her right now and maybe a lot more if I show her and she proves herself.

After month number 2, it is a completely different picture. Everything I wished to correct with her is done. I have so much fun riding her. She is fit, she enjoys her job. We are now riding as a team.

The fact is I don’t need such a talented horse to ride 1-2 maybe 3 times a week now that my kids have grown. BUT, I love her. She takes care of my children when they are around her. She has her little spicy side which I like when I ride her. I have so much fun riding such a talented horse. But again 40-50k IS a lot of money…

She could be a star on a show ground but it is not in my plans to do so.

Should I keep her and accept the fact that her talent will not hit the show ground, or should I sell her and let her show her talent with someone else ?

I think you should keep her if you really enjoy her. She doesn’t care how much she is worth. Plus, what a trainer says doesn’t mean you will find a willing buyer for that amount of money. That is not an inexpensive horse. And who says you are not worth it and don’t deserve that type of horse? I would keep her. :slight_smile:

ETA: We are not obligated to have a horse jump at shows just because they can.

If you can get that for her, sell her. Nice horses are always available. If you have limited time and limited ability to show, it isn’t necessary to pay board etc. on a fancy horse that you hardly do anything with. Her sale could fund your riding for the next four years at least and have some pony money left over for your wee ones. Good luck! Your kids will grow up fast and you will have more time for your riding then. :slight_smile:

Since you are enjoying her, maybe you make it known to your trainer that you would sell her if the right situation came along, but don’t actively market her. Enjoy her, let your kids enjoy her, but keep an ear open in the event that the right situation comes up for her. This way you could have her for a little bit, but your trainer would know that you would be open to selling her should they hear of a client looking. Sort of a best of both worlds situation.

I DON’T think that you should sell because the horse won’t “reach it’s potential with you.” That’s ridiculous. Horses don’t care about potential, they don’t care if they’re jumping around a derby, they’re more than happy to hang out having fun.

I DO think that you should sell because 40-50k, if you can truly get it in the few weeks your trainer is talking about, is a lot of money to be sitting around when the only qualifications you need in a horse right now are “good with kids”, “spicy”, and well broke. Echoing the poster who says that good horses are available all over the place. There are plenty of others that will fit your bill, and cost only $5k.

So, I don’t think you need to sell just because you’re not using her to her full potential. I do think that it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing to sell, because that money is a year or two of college for one of your kids. But then again…if you want her, keep her!

Neither answer is wrong. Perhaps do what the other poster suggested and let it be known that she is for sale, but don’t actively advertise. In the meantime, shop around a little bit for yourself, to see what else is out there that might make you happy.

What the trainer says she’s worth and what you get are 2 different things.

A horse that makes you smile and is good with your children are not that easy to come by. Will you replace her? Pull up a variety of horse shopping blues threads and do you really want to go kiss a lot of frogs to find another prince (or princess). A horse could care less if it could be a fancy show horse and is not shown to its potential. Horses sense our emotions and if you are happy they feel that.

I would challenge the trainer to get 40-50K for her. I’ve known several people who were told they had a horse worth that or more by a trainer and none were sold, or were sold for a <<$10K.

I would have no problem selling a horse to a top barn at that price, but because of others’ experiences I would probably laugh hysterically at a trainer who told me I had a $50K horse.

I am involved with competition horses since a long time. I really can get that much for her. She is really well bred and really talented. No doubt about that.

I really like the suggestion of advertising her lightely and see if a good situation comes up.

I think I will do that. Plus, I think she really enjoys her days out in the field and light riding :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=red mares;7459453]
I would challenge the trainer to get 40-50K for her. I’ve known several people who were told they had a horse worth that or more by a trainer and none were sold, or were sold for a <<$10K.

I would have no problem selling a horse to a top barn at that price, but because of others’ experiences I would probably laugh hysterically at a trainer who told me I had a $50K horse.[/QUOTE]

I would sell if the right offer comes through, but only because in the past I never have when i have had a good offer and they usually shortly thereafter go permanently lame and I am stuck with a valueless horse on my dole for ten or twenty years. Or they colic and die. But that is my luck, maybe yours is better!

Why not put her up for sale at the high end of what the trainer claims she’s worth and see if anyone bites? If not then you won’t feel as bad about keeping her (not that you should anyway, but I get that that’s a lot of money). If you go this route you have to make sure the price you put on her is one you couldn’t turn down if someone showed up cash in hand AND be clear with buyers (and yourself) that there’s no negotiating on the price so that you don’t have to have angst if they offer “just a bit less, but still a lot of money.”

I would have her for sale, and if someone wants to meet your price, then sell. Otherwise, consider keeping her. Horses don’t desire to show or win ribbons; they want to be out in a nice grass paddock with some buddies and EAT all day. :wink:

However, one caveat to keeping her… You said she has been in full training, and after 2 months, she was “fixed” and you have thoroughly enjoyed riding her since then. But, if you keep her, are you going to continue to keep her in full training, or only ride her 1-2x/week? There is always a possibility that she will revert back to her old self w/o consistent work…

I think she could go back to her old self again if her work schedule is too light.

I have a friend interested in riding her 2 times a week which would help.

I also wish her to be my daughter schoolmaster someday when she quits ponies.

Well I’ll see if I get any offer until she comes back home… Thanks everybody.

[QUOTE=SidesaddleRider;7460421]
I would have her for sale, and if someone wants to meet your price, then sell. Otherwise, consider keeping her. Horses don’t desire to show or win ribbons; they want to be out in a nice grass paddock with some buddies and EAT all day. :wink:

However, one caveat to keeping her… You said she has been in full training, and after 2 months, she was “fixed” and you have thoroughly enjoyed riding her since then. But, if you keep her, are you going to continue to keep her in full training, or only ride her 1-2x/week? There is always a possibility that she will revert back to her old self w/o consistent work…[/QUOTE]

I would sell her to someone who is going to be keeping her in a trainer’s program, because given your past experience with her I am skeptical that she would continue to be the horse you enjoy after you take her home.

That’s the only reason I’m strongly in the pro-sell camp. Yes, $40-50k is a lot of money, but you don’t sound as if it would be life-changing to you or that you are challenged for money, and I agree that there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a fancy, fun horse at home.