I bought my mare as a 2 y.o. in summer 2009. She was broke by a professionnal in 2010. I lightly rode her the following year and became pregnant of my second child during that year.
In spring 2011 I sent her to the pro that broke her to bring her to some shows and give her experience while I was home with my newborn son.
My mare came back to me in September of 2011 and I started back riding her the few times (1-2) I could with 2 children. She developed some bad behavior such has not respond to my leg, kicking in response of my leg, etc. Otherwise a sweetheart to manipulate on the ground. She just appeared to be sour about any kind of work.
In October 2013 I decided to send her in a program with a very reputable trainer for the winter. I was really discourage and thought she was too much horse for me to ride. The first month she was at the trainer, I couldn’t see much improvement on her behavior, but she definitely proved to be a really talented jumper on top of being a beautiful mover. So I decided to sell her and find myself another horse. Trainer told me I could get between 40k and 50k for her right now and maybe a lot more if I show her and she proves herself.
After month number 2, it is a completely different picture. Everything I wished to correct with her is done. I have so much fun riding her. She is fit, she enjoys her job. We are now riding as a team.
The fact is I don’t need such a talented horse to ride 1-2 maybe 3 times a week now that my kids have grown. BUT, I love her. She takes care of my children when they are around her. She has her little spicy side which I like when I ride her. I have so much fun riding such a talented horse. But again 40-50k IS a lot of money…
She could be a star on a show ground but it is not in my plans to do so.
Should I keep her and accept the fact that her talent will not hit the show ground, or should I sell her and let her show her talent with someone else ?