Unlimited access >

To stay or not to stay

So Im trying to decide if I should stay with my current barn or to leave. A couple other people are already thinking about leaving as well.

They started as a nice barn. Dont they all! Over time, shit has started to float to the surface. To start, I pay full board. It is about 5 minutes from home. My horse has turnout during the day with a buddy, but I have to ask to bring her in even if theres inclement weather (which is a new policy). The trails are nice, right off the back. I have to make appointments for vet and farrier, theres no sign up board, which im not used to but knew going in. My farrier and vet with phone numbers are posted on her stall in case of emergency.

I recently went to the barn for a trail ride, get there and my horse’s eye was swollen shut (very noticeable) and hot to the touch with discharge. I was never notified and only told by a barnhand once I got there that it had been like that for a time. The BO is always there and has my number, so IDK wtf happened. My horse is good now, but I was very unhappy.
There has also been a lot of drama going on, which I know I cant avoid, but its gotten worse. The BO likes to talk smack about other boarders with a few certain favorite boarders. So if the BO has a favorite and that favorite does something that causes injury to another horse (already occurred) and another boarder (also already occurred) while on property, the BO blames it not on the favorite who caused the issue but the person that was injured. I dont want to start walking on eggshells to go to the barn in case I upset a favorite, when all I want is to ride my horse.
My trail buddy has already told me that she is thinking about leaving, too, which means Ill either have to go out alone (nope) on the trail or beg someone to ride with me.

Im leaning toward leaving, but idk. Thoughts?

Sounds like you already know the answer. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Start taking things home - check you calendar.

Move on - enjoy your new barn !

4 Likes

Time to go

4 Likes

Not being notified about an injury = BYE BYE…

8 Likes

If you want to move and there are better options: move! Life is too short to pay board at a barn you don’t like or doesn’t suit your needs. I did a teeny bit of barn hopping this summer/fall (moved from relatively long-time barn to a new situation and relatively quickly ended up moving again), and it was SO worth it. I went from a place that I like but which was not suitable to my training.riding goals, to a place that worked for my riding goals but not for my care/atmosphere preferences, to a place that checks almost every box on my list - and which I just love being at.

In my experience, the atmosphere and culture of a barn are the biggest deal breakers, once you get past basic acceptable care. There are lots of things I will forego at a barn (with the exception of care) if the BOs create a good atmosphere. My current situation is quite a bit less “fancy” than my previous, but I wouldn’t trade a single thing about the barns.

2 Likes

We all have to decide what is a deal breaker at a barn for us.

Some people are OK with ignoring petty gossip crap. Some people make sure they are at the barn every day so they know their horse is getting properly cared for, etc.

I would never stay someplace that did not tell me about an eye injury. Period. (Gossip crap I can ignore.)

3 Likes

Not being notified about an eye injury would be a deal breaker for me

2 Likes