Unlimited access >

Toe warmers for winter riding?

I am not as hardcore as I once was — 32F/0C is my limit these days. I know in parts of the Upper Midwest US and Canada that’s pronounced “early summer,” but it feels plenty cold to me.

Amazon tells me there are now neoprene covers that slip over my toes like an oven mitt — has anyone used those and found them to be worthwhile? Or have other suggestions? Looking for something that will make chores and riding (no indoor — choices are ring and hacking out) more comfortable.

I have wool socks galore. Not sure I want to invest in the heated socks. Would love an option that doesn’t generate the waste of disposable shake-and-stick foot/toe warmers.

1 Like

I use Futis and quite like them. They are the neoprene ones that go over the outside of the boot. Although they are hideous and aren’t the perfect fit for the boots that they could be (if they were a whole lot more expensive), they really do help to keep my feet warmer. Also, FWIW, Heat Holder socks beat wool 10x over. They don’t last as long as wool, but a couple pairs of the heaviest ones and a couple of the mid-warmth ones get me through a winter couple with the Futis over my riding boots.

I have zero experience with neoprene directly on my toes though. Neoprene gloves are certainly useful for cold, damp weather though, so the toe warmers might be worth a try!

1 Like

Michigan Fox Hunter here: our pack goes out regardless of temperature. Almost all members wear Weatherbeeta RimFrost riding boots (the cheap ones, about $100). Inside those I USED to wear the peal and stick HOT HANDS for toes —however, about 5 years ago I switched to battery heated socks. Since I ride just about everyday regardless of weather or temperature, I was going through way too many toe warmers —so I coughed up $50 and bought battery heated socks. Work great!

4 Likes

A quarter-sheet of newspaper wrapped outside your socks is fantastic insulation. Learned it in high school while doing an all-day volunteer stint on a freezing sidewalk. The guy who hipped us to it said, “It sounds crazy but…”

2 Likes

Here in the frozen tundra of Eastern Ontario we use little shake-up stick-on toe warmers called ‘Little Hotties’. Similar…I assume - to the above mentioned Hot Hands.
I get them at Costco. A case of 30 is $30.
Stick them on top of your toes/foot, not on the bottom. They last for 3-4 hours.
Little Hotties also make wonderful little handwarmers, too.

4 Likes

You can buy reusable warmers that fit in your boot, but I’ve found wearing silk socks, them wool over, them go up a size in boots keeps my feet warm, but my temps aren’t near as cold as yours. I can still feel my toes at 9*F.

1 Like

I have the toe warmers you are thinking of. Usually I’ll wear them with thinner socks, with my winter rubber boots and then with my paddock boots. My feet are much warmer with them than without (actually get a bit sweaty at times). When new they were quite snug and bothered the sole of my foot a bit, but now have stretched out and are more comfortable. I haven’t had the chance to use them during really frigid temps, but they’re probably better than wearing thicker socks alone.

1 Like

I use the full length foot warmers, and I can usually get around 3 wears per pair keeping them in a ziploc bag or mason jar. Same with the hand warmers. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have the incredible luxury of owning 3 pairs of electric socks. My older pair runs on 3 AAA batteries each but the 2 new pairs are rechargeable AND RUN ON AN APP!!! I don’t have to shimmy my pants leg up to turn them on and off anymore. And all of the socks are really, really comfortable. I walk 12-20 miles a day so that’s a big deal for me.

5 Likes

I do what you aren’t supposed to do and put those little disposable toe warmers on TOP of my toes. (the directions say not to do this :shushing_face: ) But it keeps my toes warm while riding.

A couple years ago, I also invested in a pair of insulated Ariat riding boots and they work very well! I don’t always need to use my toe warmers. I wear my warm winter boots until I am ready to mount up. Then I switch to the Ariats to ride. And obviously switch back when done.

2 Likes

I do this, too! My brother told me about it. Definitely works.

1 Like

Can you tell us what brand(s) the rechargeable ones are? About how long does a charge last?

They’re Viceplus brand from Amazon.

1 Like