Unlimited access >

Tokyo Shortlist is Out!

Only three with no drop score. So that makes it even more important to pick the right three.

5 Likes

Nice story if you have the time to read it.
Touches on how important and nerve wracking it can be being part of the team and especially without throw away score for mistakes and mishaps:

2 Likes

IMO thereā€™s no question what three that should be.

In terms of riders Iā€™d agree the obvious are Beezie, Kent and Mclain. However, Cristaline is one of the best horses in the World and she steps up in big situations like championships

Who?

Kent, Beezie and McLain. Iā€™m slightly anxious on McLain because azur has had previous injuries and contagious is still a little green. As my backups Iā€™d have Laura, then Adrienne.

1 Like

Adrienne is my 5th pick, after Laura and the obvious listed by you. She is a very good up and coming rider but she doesnā€™t have the cool as a cucumber experience that the others have yet, just because of her age. Which I think I can say as Iā€™m almost the same age as her :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The riderā€™s experience is definitely important, but all of these riders have had international experience and have been around. It seems to me that the horses are the big deal here, given the weather in, and the travel to, Japan.

From my read of Ridlandā€™s comments, Iā€™d guess heā€™s going to go with the old guard. Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll agree with his choices, but Iā€™m a peon and heā€™s the Chef dā€™equipe. :wink:

Honestly , I canā€™t be excited by this Olympiad. I think it should not be taking place, but the monetary interest marches on, despite the warnings against holding the games during this pandemic given by Japanese heath officials, and against the will of the Japanese people.

This is a blatant and sad example of monetary interests overriding the value of human lives. :worried:

8 Likes

With no drop score, I think you have to really focus not only on the consistency of performances under pressure, but also which horses are most likely to handle the trip to Japan well and hold up during multiple rounds over a few days.

1 Like

I think that the majority of countries have shown over the past year they are capable of holding events without causing spread, especially since a large portion of the population will have been vaccinated by the start. Iā€™m personally disappointed since I had planned to attend the Tokyo games and that wonā€™t be happening, but I donā€™t think that thereā€™s any reason to cancel them altogether; considering itā€™s unlikely they will have any spectators and we all have learned how to social distance over the past year.

1 Like

I donā€™t know that I agree. Adrienne has been remarkably consistent this winter, particularly with Bennyā€™s Legacy, and donā€™t forget that she was part of the winning US team at the last WEG. Itā€™s an extremely strong list right now no matter who they pick.

5 Likes

Definitely. Beezie, Laura, McLain and Kent all have multiple horses so barring some sort of crisis Iā€™d guess itā€™ll be the four of them as team plus alternate with their the fittest/soundest horses (or ones who handle heat best). Unless one of them has no horses who will handle the heat well, in which case maybe Adrienne will take that spot?

Does anyone know when the team will ship over to allow the horses to acclimate? I canā€™t recall how they did it for Rio.

Laura and Beezie were first and second yesterday in the Grand Prix in Wellington, separated by about 2/10 of a second in the jump off. So theyā€™re both probably well in the mix.

Since most of these horses have been showing in South Florida all winter, they have proven that they can handle hot weather. I donā€™t know what the conditions are supposed to be in Tokyo, but they will be the same for everybody.

1 Like

Athletes are only allowed to arrive 5 days before their event starts and must depart no later than 48 hours after their last event due to Covid restrictions. That doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t ship in and stable elsewhere I suppose until they are allowed on the Olympic grounds.

3 Likes

Oh, boy. Not good.

The governor of Florida has already said that his state could host the Olympics this year if necessary. :roll_eyes:

The entire OG or just the equestrian events? Regardless, you canā€™t throw together an Olympics in 3 months, how did that idiot ever get elected? And Florida in August? The athletes will expire from heat exhaustion.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting that article on Woermann. Very interesting that up to 1963 a rider could compete on more than one horse in the same Championship competition.

The whole thing! I think I read somewhere that his great plan would be to spread the games throughout the state at different venues to cut down on crowds. Or something.

Letā€™s get a niceā€¦ evenā€¦ well-spread out dispersal of COVID from all over the world :roll_eyes:

6 Likes