Unlimited access >

Tokyo Shortlist is Out!

This article on the subject is from late January. I believe the daily positivity rate in Florida is over 7% these days.

Well this looks like a pretty solid Olympic team. Test run?

The U.S. Equestrian Federation is pleased to announce the four athletes selected to represent the NetJets U.S. Jumping Team for the Nations Cup Of Rome CSIO5* held at the Piazza di Siena in Rome, Italy, from May 26-30. The two-round team competition is scheduled to take place on Friday, May 28, at 2:30 p.m. GMT+2.

The following athletes are listed in alphabetical order and will represent the NetJets U.S. Jumping Team at the Nations Cup Of Rome CSIO5* led by Chef dā€™Equipe Robert Ridland.

ā€¢ Kent Farrington (Wellington, Florida)
ā€¢ Laura Kraut (Royal Palm Beach, Florida)
ā€¢ Jessica Springsteen (Los Angeles)
ā€¢ McLain Ward (Brewster, New York)

The Nations Cup Of Rome CSIO5* is the first of three designated CSIO/CSI observation events for the U.S. team ahead of team selection for the Tokyo Olympic Games. To learn more about the Nations Cup Of Rome CSIO5* and view a full competition schedule, please visit www.piazzadisiena.it/en/.

I have a little trouble thinking of any Olympic team being our strongest possible one without Beezie on it.

Well, for show jumping, anyway. Although Iā€™ll bet she could do a very respectable dressage test!

5 Likes

Itā€™s an observation event. Presumably the other observation events will include the other athletes on the list. I wouldnā€™t read anything into it right now.

7 Likes

Nations Cup observation event in Italy live now!

Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d04ByrzDZow
Results: https://www.piazzadisiena.it/en/results.html

She had said after Tokyo 2020. Then Covid hit, so it became Tokyo 2021.

Em

2 Likes

Not true for Japan.

Vax clinics for non-healthcare workers just opened this week. Almost no one is vaccinated and even among HC workers, huge percentages of them declined the vax when they were eligible. They are hoping to get over 65s done by late July. The HC systems is in collapse in many places (ex: Osaka). Many people are simply sent home and die at home. This month a man died in an ambulance after every hospital the crew called declined to take him. Several hotels have been taken over to house covid patients too sick to go home but for whom there are no hospital beds. There are citizen groups petitioning not to hold the Olympics and Asahi Shimbun (a major paper AND an Olympic sponsor) came out this week saying holding them is irresponsible.

Thereā€™s just a HUGE penalty clause if the host country cancels so they are holding out hoping the IOC does the right thing - which they never do, so here we are.

2 Likes

Just this week it was extended and more prefectures were added. :frowning:

Wow, I didnā€™t know it was so bad in Japan. I wonder why there is such a pushback against the vaccine? IIRC we are on track for 70% by July in the USA.

I believe within the last week or so I saw an article that said the vaccination rate in Japan is around 2% now.

Really bad stats:

• Less than 30% of Japanā€™s medics have been vaccinated against Covid-19 in major cities with just 65 days to go before the start of the Tokyo Olympics, the Nikkei newspaper reported on Wednesday, amid growing calls for the Games to be canceled.
  • Cabinet figures released this week showed that three months into Japanā€™s Covid-19 vaccination push, less than 40% of all medical workers in the country were fully inoculated.
  • The problem is especially pronounced in Games host-city Tokyo and other large population centers, where the rate of fully vaccinated medical workers was less than 30%, the Nikkei reported.

So far, just 3.7% of Japanā€™s population of 126 million have gotten at least one Covid-19 vaccine shot, the lowest rate among wealthy countries.

NYT reports 83% of Japanese people (according to a recent survey) say they do not want the Games to go on this summer.

2 Likes

I was just reading about that in yesterdayā€™s paper, I had no idea conditions were so dire in Japan.

I could be wrong but Iā€™d imagine the problem is supply not pushback against the vaccine

3 Likes

I looked into it. According to this Forbes article only 30% of Japanese citizens feel vaccines are safe. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2021/05/12/japan-with-opposition-to-olympics-rising-has-only-a-2-covid-vaccination-rate-heres-why/amp/

1 Like

Thanks that was really interesting! Pretty interesting number of 30% feeling vaccines are safe (and thatā€™s in general not for the COVID vaccine)

I know, I had no idea that there was so much concern around them. But I guess it makes sense. Just a few years ago there were some children that died from a bad vaccine batch there.

Laura Kraut and Jessica Springsteen just finished 2nd and 3rd in the Rolex GP in Rome

5 Likes

Farrington and Ward had 12 faults each. :frowning:

Brian Moggre is certainly making a name for himself! 1st place at an Olympic observation event with Lucy Deslauriers in 2nd.
https://www.facebook.com/USAjumping/posts/4388478617852406

2 Likes