Unlimited access >

Tokyo Shortlist

After Udon in the 1996 Olympics, he was not on the Olympic team again until 2008, but was always a top contender since 1996.

Melanie Pai owned Floriano. He and Steffen tried for the 2004 Olympics. I think they were first alternate.

Yes, he was the reserve with Floriano in 2004. He has had Olympic-contender level horses all along since Udon.

The team has been named:

The following athlete-and-horse combinations will represent the United States at the Tokyo Olympic Games and are listed in alphabetical order:

Adrienne Lyle (Wellington, Florida) and Salvino, a 14-year-old Hanoverian stallion owned by Betsy Juliano LLC

Steffen Peters (San Diego) and Suppenkasper, a 13-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding owned by Four Winds Farm and Akiko Yamazaki

Sabine Schut-Kery (Napa, California) and Sanceo, a 15-year-old Hanoverian stallion owned by Alice Womble

The following combination has been named as the traveling reserve:

Nick Wagman(San Diego) and Don John, a 13-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding owned by Beverly Gepfer

The following combinations have been named as team alternates and are listed in selected order:

Olivia LaGoy-Weltz (Haymarket, Virginia) and Rassingā€™s Lonoir, a 17-year-old Danish Warmblood gelding owned by Mary Anne McPhail and Olivia LaGoy-Weltz

Ben Ebeling (Moorpark, California) and Illuster van de Kampert, a 13-year-old Belgian Warmblood gelding owned by Sasha Cutter for Nuvolari Holdings and Amy Roberts Ebeling

They took the top 4 from the observation event as the travelling team members and 2 of the next 3 as alternates. So excited to see them in action on the big stage!

8 Likes

A strong team, which includes my friendā€™s horse. Wishing them the best of luck.

5 Likes

Someone else owned Floriano at the time Steffen was riding him. Laurelyn & Stephen Browning.

1 Like

I remember the horse, but not the owners!

Bingo.

Not really,[quote=ā€œYankeeDuchess, post:43, topic:759274, full:trueā€]

Yes, he was the reserve with Floriano in 2004. He has had Olympic-contender level horses all along since Udon.
[/quote]

The Pais. Pai family. Plural.

He facilitated the sale of Floriano to them.

Go Sabine!!!

2 Likes

Super strong team! Great!

1 Like

Not exactly US Dressage related, but Great Britain announced their dressage team and Charlotte will be taking Gio. As a lover of chestnuts with chrome, I love Gio. Both are absolutely world class horses with scores we could all only dream of, but Freestyle seems to be more consistent and experienced. My only thought for why she would pick Gio is that heā€™s a better traveler. Any other thoughts?

1 Like

I was wondering about that too! I donā€™t have any speculations as to why - I would think at this point Freestyle would have also become accustomed to life on the road, so I wouldnā€™t think he was a ā€œbetterā€ traveler. Perhaps she needs a break? The next few weeks are going to be pretty intense. Perhaps they think Gio will be more up for the challenge?

It wasnā€™t just Charlotteā€™s decision. She said it was a decision made by the selectors in consultation with her.

This explains why ā€œGioā€ was chosen for the team:

3 Likes

Thanks for this! By ā€œsaved for a later dateā€, Iā€™m guessing weā€™ll see Freestyle at the European championships.

1 Like

Does ā€˜not sufficiently fitā€™ mean lame?

I have no idea.