Unlimited access >

Too Narrow Saddle

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps here) that if you can get more than 2-3 fingers between the pommel and the horse, the tree is too narrow. Is this true? This saddle sits pommel high on the horse ( no girth and no pad).

The rep I like won’t be back this way for a couple of months and I am waiting to hear back regarding photos I sent yesterday. I love the saddle, but won’t purchase until it is verified that it can be adjusted to fit my Saint Max.

Sheilah

Can’t see anything because your hand is in the way! Send us a photo from this angle showing how the panels lie against the shoulders.

Lots will depend on if the the saddle is a deep seat or not. Pommel height is not the definitive check on wither gullet width.

4 Likes

What model of custom is that and does it sit straight on the horse? Can you take a picture of the front of the saddle off of the horse from straight on?

It is a Wolfgang Solo with the long blocks.
Sheilah

Picture of your horse’s back?

This is the best one I have currently and it is from 8 months ago.

Sheilah

To my untrained eye, the saddle looks a tad too narrow. It seems to be a bit pommel high (seen from the side), and that one shot from the front (without your hand!) looks like the front of the saddle isn’t sitting down on the horse. I’d think that, if you ride in it, you’d feel like you were being tipped a bit backward, and the saddle could make the horse sore as well.

Good luck with the saddle hunt!

put a pen/pencil across the seat and see where it settles. If it’s behind center, the saddle is too narrow, or sitting too far forward.

Wither clearance doesn’t tell you anything about the fit, other than whether it’s going to start squishing the withers. A pommel will have more clearance on a low-withered horse than a taller-withered one, all else equal. This saddle looks to have what I call a “cathedral pommel”, meaning quite tall, which makes it suitable for horses with giant withers. That alone doesn’t mean the addle doesn’t fit, as wither clearance is only part of the fit. It’s really not possible to tell how well this saddle fits.

We’d need a rear view to see how it fits across the back - channel clearance and panel shape- a 3/4 front view showing all the shoulder and saddle, and a side view where you’re a few steps to the center of the horse instead of closer to the shoulder, for a more straight-on perspective.

The saddle should be girthed, but no pad

Place the saddle up high, close your eyes, and slide it back until it “sticks”. That’s where that saddle will sit, and that’s where you gauge fit

2 Likes

He does have high withers.
Sheilah